Gotta Love Sammy!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
It's blocking me from using any of their apps that I normally use and need access to - My Files, Memo, SNote - until I install the funky, unreliable Lollipop update. That is just wrong! Bad Sammy, bad!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean it is blocking you?
It won't let things open or show in my drawer that were showing yesterday that are Sammy controlled. I can make a memo, but can't open or see it. My Files won't show, etc. I'm getting the upgrade notice about once an hour now. It's really trying to force me and I do not want LP until Sprint/Sammy fixes it.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Yesterday all my action memo notes were there and today they're gone. Wiped the cache and it didn't help. I can use ActionMemo, but not review files, etc. Going to try SmartSwitch again and see if that cures anything.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. By choice. Just got my N4 on the 18th. Still in testing phase. When testing phase is over I will root KK4.4.4 since it seems to be the most stable build so far. I'm going to factory reset and see if that fixes anything. So far nothing I've tried has worked. I got my memos loaded to dropbox and that's comforting. At least I can see them when necessary. I won't be using the memo app anymore, I don't think. Only thing of Sammy's I used and now I regret it. So easy to use, though.

For all my other note taking needs I use Lecture Notes. Amazing app with all the add-ins you could think of. I started using it with my Lenovo tablet (pos) and never looked back. I have all my notes on every device going back to the day I started using Lecture Notes.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. By choice.
The reason I asked is because you can block the LP OTA and I recommend you do it if you still want to remain on Kitkat. Eventually, the OTA will be forced on you whether you like it or not. It's happened to a lot of people from what I've read.

Read THIS thread at XDA. The script will block the OTA and Disable KNOX. I'm currently running it and never see an OTA ping my phone for any reason! In the thread, someone asked if it'll work on Sprint phones and the author says it should work on any carrier. Please read the entire thread so there's no misunderstanding.

It's possible that your system cache partition holds the LP download. If you do a factory reset without first wiping the cache partition, the reset may trigger the LP installation held in cache. I don't know this for a fact, but just thought I'd mention it. Best bet is to get into Recovery mode, wipe the cache partition, do a factory reset, then restart the phone. Then Block the OTA running the script. Of course, I know you already know, but gotta mention it anyways... back up your stuff before the factory reset!

To me, KitKat is very stable. I have not seen any problems whatsoever that people have seen due to LP. My phone is fast, has no delays, and everything works just as it should. Plus, I get to keep the Kitkat interface that LP has basically destroyed in my opinion!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The reason I asked is because you can block the LP OTA and I recommend you do it if you still want to remain on Kitkat. Eventually, the OTA will be forced on you whether you like it or not. It's happened to a lot of people from what I've read.

Read THIS thread at XDA. The script will block the OTA and Disable KNOX. I'm currently running it and never see an OTA ping my phone for any reason! In the thread, someone asked if it'll work on Sprint phones and the author says it should work on any carrier. Please read the entire thread so there's no misunderstanding.

It's possible that your system cache partition holds the LP download. If you do a factory reset without first wiping the cache partition, the reset may trigger the LP installation held in cache. I don't know this for a fact, but just thought I'd mention it. Best bet is to get into Recovery mode, wipe the cache partition, do a factory reset, then restart the phone. Then Block the OTA running the script. Of course, I know you already know, but gotta mention it anyways... back up your stuff before the factory reset!

To me, KitKat is very stable. I have not seen any problems whatsoever that people have seen due to LP. My phone is fast, has no delays, and everything works just as it should. Plus, I get to keep the Kitkat interface that LP has basically destroyed in my opinion!
Yeah. I'm absolutely blocking OTA after I root. There's a way to do it on KK and I'll use that once rooted. I'm only going to update to OB7, test it, and then downgrade if I don't see an upside to LP.

It's possible that your system cache partition holds the LP download. If you do a factory reset without first wiping the cache partition, the reset may trigger the LP installation held in cache. I don't know this for a fact, but just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the info and for the links. I'm getting my root stuff ready and will probably root within a month or less.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Since this script disables knox, will it let my apps modify the extSD like they should? That's the only thing that's a ginormous pain in the wazoo about being unrooted atm except for the OTA constant nag and the ads, of course.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Since this script disables knox, will it let my apps modify the extSD like they should? That's the only thing that's a ginormous pain in the wazoo about being unrooted atm except for the OTA constant nag and the ads, of course.
I have no idea. You might want to join XDA and specifically ask in the thread I linked. I don't root my phones because I'm on Verizon. Can't be done yet!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea. You might want to join XDA and specifically ask in the thread I linked. I don't root my phones because I'm on Verizon. Can't be done yet!
That's a big Verizon bummer. I'm a member of xda. I mean unrooted. There are fixes, IIRC, for after root.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
That's a big Verizon bummer. I'm a member of xda. I mean unrooted. There are fixes, IIRC, for after root.
Yah, Verizon sucks that way!

I just wanted to make sure you found out about the OTA block. I warn as many people as I can because I absolutely hate LP! More than that, I hate that the carriers force it on you.

Good luck with your root!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yah, Verizon sucks that way!

I just wanted to make sure you found out about the OTA block. I warn as many people as I can because I absolutely hate LP! More than that, I hate that the carriers force it on you.

Good luck with your root!
Thanks! And thanks for the heads up about the OTA. I wiped the cache once, but still getting nags. Trying to get confirmation that the method works for Sprint. Won't wait much longer, though. Yeah. No way I want LP! It's a very sweet phone and I want to keep it that way.

I've tested almost everything so I may root quicker than I thought.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to mention you can also use Debloater to disable quite a few things, including what the script does. Read THIS thread.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just saw this and wanted to ask about your snotes and action memos. When I got forced into the Lollipop update, I still had all my notes in my Snotes backed up on my sd card and also on Samsung's backup, but I couldn't open them, because with Lollipop they changed to .snb file extension to a newer one, which made them unable to open. I lose over 140 notes or so on that move. Thanks Sammy. I'm not the only guy this happened to either. Someone else on the forum had the same exact problem. Also someone went into my local AT&T store to their tech support and reported the same problem I was told. Why they wouldn't make the old SNotes upward compatible with updates, is beyond me. Seems like a stupid move if you ask me.

So I just started from scratch with the new file extension on the newer lollipop update, just never had that problem with an update before on my note 2 and 3. I agree, using a different Note app is a good idea, I like Lecture notes also, but just like being able to do everything to all my samsung devices with the Snote app. It's something to consider, because it was a problem for me and I lost a lot of notes. Still have them, but can't open on my phone.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Brain death is no excuse! LOL!!!
LOL!!!

You are my HERO!!! Couldn't confirm working, but a friend tested it and told me what needed to be added. Did the dirty deed and I am GOLDEN!!!

Whew. Now I can take a breather and root when ready without any lovely Sammy surprises. Feels good. :D Calm and happy now. And I owe it all to you. Thanks more than I can even express.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Just saw this and wanted to ask about your snotes and action memos. When I got forced into the Lollipop update, I still had all my notes in my Snotes backed up on my sd card and also on Samsung's backup, but I couldn't open them, because with Lollipop they changed to .snb file extension to a newer one, which made them unable to open. I lose over 140 notes or so on that move. Thanks Sammy. I'm not the only guy this happened to either. Someone else on the forum had the same exact problem. Also someone went into my local AT&T store to their tech support and reported the same problem I was told. Why they wouldn't make the old SNotes upward compatible with updates, is beyond me. Seems like a stupid move if you ask me.

So I just started from scratch with the new file extension on the newer lollipop update, just never had that problem with an update before on my note 2 and 3. I agree, using a different Note app is a good idea, I like Lecture notes also, but just like being able to do everything to all my samsung devices with the Snote app. It's something to consider, because it was a problem for me and I lost a lot of notes. Still have them, but can't open on my phone.
Yeah. I'm PO'd about my notes as you can tell from the note of my OP.

Sorry for the early brain death, but I didn't see a question for me in your post and you didn't quote anyone. To whom are you directing this post and what is your concern about snotes and action memos that either, or any, of us might help with? Happy to help if I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith