Gotta Love Sammy!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
LOL!!!

You are my HERO!!! Couldn't confirm working, but a friend tested it and told me what needed to be added. Did the dirty deed and I am GOLDEN!!!

Whew. Now I can take a breather and root when ready without any lovely Sammy surprises. Feels good. :D Calm and happy now. And I owe it all to you. Thanks more than I can even express.

Glad to help! Long live KK! :cool:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I was addressing you Toenail flicker. In your first post you said you were unable to access any of your Snotes or Action Memos, stuff from Sammy. I had problems loading any of my old S Notes when the Note 4 got updated to Lollipop. It really PO'd me, because it never was a problem with any other android update before that on Previous Note phones I owned. So I got a few over, but most I couldn't even open. So i later found out they changed the .snb file extension to a different one now, so the new S Note in Lollipop will not open the .snb files my notes were in. Thought maybe that was your problem, but you're still on Kit Kat, so I don't understand why now. So you might as well disregard this then. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, sometimes I wish I had the option to prevent the update, but it's working alright for me now. Definitely liked kitkat better though. Good luck with everything. I know I still can't even root mine, as AT&T is still the only carrier that doesn't have root yet. I don't need root on my phones usually, but this last update kind of makes me want that option to deny now. Didn't want it, but it was forced on me.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
as AT&T is still the only carrier that doesn't have root yet.
It's not just AT&T, but Verizon too. XDA dev gatesjunior is working with SuperSume (and King Root), but it's still temp root. Using Debloater I don't find I need root that much, but I still want it! Debloater will work on AT&T LP so you might want to check it out. As always, I insist you read the entire thread.

Link: Debloater

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't find I need root that much, but I still want it!
Yesssss! Like last night Sammy decided to auto update some things. Not the OS, thankfully, but some apps from the app store. I was very unhappy to wake up to that. Found the app store and turned off auto-update. Control! :D

Need the store for the three apps I do want atm - Action Memo (iffy now, IMO), sPen (again iffy), and My Files (very occasionally). At this point all three may go by the wayside. I'm still pretty PO'd over the Action Memo thing. I had a lot of them and felt somewhat safe since they were with Sammy backing up. Now not so much. Lecture notes is automatically backed up (editable) every time I change one via Drop Sync. I have to decide how important it is to me to take a note by pulling out the sPen, when real control of the note doesn't exist, apparently.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
That's a real bummer you lost your Action memo's. I would be pissed too!

I do like the Action memo's and S Note. I use the S Pen daily. Also My Files comes in handy when I want to move/backup the notes I take. So easy to move them to the SD card. I'm basically happy with the Note 4, especially with KK. I don't see me upgrading this phone until it dies. Us KK lovers are going to be in real trouble when we need to replace our phones!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
That's a real bummer you lost your Action memo's. I would be pissed too!

I do like the Action memo's and S Note. I use the S Pen daily. Also My Files comes in handy when I want to move/backup the notes I take. So easy to move them to the SD card. I'm basically happy with the Note 4, especially with KK. I don't see me upgrading this phone until it dies. Us KK lovers are going to be in real trouble when we need to replace our phones!
Given Sammy's changes to the N5, I won't be upgrading until then either. I'm still trying to figure out how in the heck to get my Action memos over to my N4. You can export one by one to S Note and then export from there. I suppose, or I'm hoping, if I do Smart Switch again they might come through from S Note. Very tedious process, though. Takes too much time. As a last resort, I may factory reset just before root and try to get them in one more time via Smart Switch and backup the folder.

Part of the issue originated when the popup about the update wouldn't let me do anything and wouldn't go away. I accidentally hit Evernote instead of Samsung, got a message I didn't fully see (blocked by update popup) and ended up turning off my connection via Samsung account. I restored that, but then it wouldn't sync my Action memos anymore. Hoping factory reset will rectify...

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't use the cloud so I'm unaware of how you have to sync your memo's.

Can you actually see the files on the cloud? Is there a way to copy them and save them to your PC? If you can, you can connect your phone to the PC, or the SD card itself, and just save them to the SD. Then just move them to the S Notes' Action memo folder using My Files.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Can you actually see the files on the cloud? Is there a way to copy them and save them to your PC? If you can, you can connect your phone to the PC, or the SD card itself, and just save them to the SD. Then just move them to the S Notes' Action memo folder using My Files.
Sammy's cloud for our backups is a mystery to me. I really don't use it and this was my first experience with Smart Switch. Worked great, all my stuff came through. I hadn't signed into my Sammy account at first and it was forcing me, along with the popup. That's when things tanked. If I had signed in to my account beforehand I wouldn't likely have had the issue, but really, Sammy is last on my list in setting up my device. Who knew the update was going to hijack me. It was a CF that was part Sammy's fault and part mine for delaying signing into my account. Lesson learned.

So, I'm going to try to figure out where the Action memos are stored and access them that way. I can always put them in Lecture Notes if they're straight image files. The way they transfer to S Note it seems like they are. If I do it the hard way and load them topic by topic, then I'll look around for the files in S Note on the internal (I am rooted on my Note 3) and if they can be found I will see if there is a converter for them by a dev (doubt it). I would prefer to keep them as Action memos and just have them on my Note 4. Second best is probably S Note, and then Lecuture Notes - only because it's quicker to access AM from the pen.

Last edited:

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

You know, I misunderstood what you said and just reread your post. Interesting thought. I can give that a try, too.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

You may have helped me again with your post here. I'm trying something and if it works I'll update this post. Should be really interesting. Definitely easier to move Action memos than S Note files, I think. I'm pasting the files in from Dropbox. I hope Sammy doesn't revolt with the paste. AMs are stored natively as jpgs. Sammy did it right there. ;)

I never realized just how many AMs I have. So far it's showing 135 - way too many to export to S Note. Wish I hadn't bothered trying. Wasted a couple of hours, at least.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused too. Do you mean you're trying to get the memo's off of your Note 3? You keep mentioning your Note 3.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I hope you get it sorted out. Glad to see I'm not alone sticking to kitkat, rooted and dynamic Kat rom. I am a little hesitant due to the stagefright exploit but I think its overblown. Is there a kitkat fix? Eventually we'd have to upgrade from kitkat.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Tried what I thought might work and it didn't. Going to post to xda and see if someone there can tell me a few things. I think I'm still whammied by Sammy and will have to do a reset to get what I want. No big deal there and my notes are safe and sound on dropbox and my Note 3.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I hope you get it sorted out. Glad to see I'm not alone sticking to kitkat, rooted and dynamic Kat rom. I am a little hesitant due to the stagefright exploit but I think its overblown. Is there a kitkat fix? Eventually we'd have to upgrade from kitkat.
Thanks.
AFAIK the fix is only for LP. I also think it's a bit overblown. I turned off mms and that should do it, besides installing Lookout's Stagefright app. Do you have that installed?

Also can't restore or backup Action memos from Kies. Without a factory reset Sammy isn't going to let me Smart Switch them, either.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused too. Do you mean you're trying to get the memo's off of your Note 3? You keep mentioning your Note 3.
Smart Switch from Note 3 to Note 4 worked for memos, then Samsung locked me out of my account on Note 4 because of update. Now I can't access them on Note 4. ;)

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I just did though I think it's just a detector. Says I'm vulnerable. Hoping the good folks at xda provide a flashable zip to address it on kitkat. It's a shame we can't upgrade and still keep our devices optimized.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I just did though I think it's just a detector. Says I'm vulnerable. Hoping the good folks at xda provide a flashable zip to address it on kitkat. It's a shame we can't upgrade and still keep our devices optimized.
Yeah. It's just a detector. As long as your settings protect from mms you should be okay.

Started a thread on xda and a buddy of mine popped in and helped out. I found the correct files to transfer, using only My Files, and they are qspd. Now I need a file renamer to change the qspd to spd as the extension. Making progress...

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Holy #%$& it worked! I did a batch rename on my laptop from cmd prompt. Renamed file extension from "*.qspd" to "spd". Uploaded the files to my N4 and they still didn't show (could be too impatient) in Action memo. Renamed one file title to format of early test notes only on N4 and refreshed. It showed up in Action memo! I'm going to give it a wait to see if the rest show up, or in fact have to all be renamed to "Action memo *.spd" instead of "*_QuickMemo.spd".

Note - from My Files I could open the note and edit it before changing the name, but couldn't see them in Action memo. Now I can see and edit.

Victory!
Once again persistence and determination pays off.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to give it a wait to see if the rest show up, or in fact have to all be renamed to "Action memo *.spd" instead of "*_QuickMemo.spd".
Both the name and the extension must be changed to get them into Action memo and you need to also transfer the jpg files for the notes from your Note 3.

Last edited: