How can I get into my Note 4 if the finger scanner isn't working and I forgot the back up password?

Patricia Wardell

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
i can not get in to my note 4 with the finger scanner and i forgot the back up password

I can not get into my Samsung galaxy note 4 with the finger scanner and I forgot my back up pass word

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: i can not get in to my note 4 with the finger scanner and i forgot the back up password

Fairly sure the only way to fix might be with a "factory reset". Not positive. I'll check around and come back with a better answer.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: i can not get in to my note 4 with the finger scanner and i forgot the back up password

I can not get into my Samsung galaxy note 4 with the finger scanner and I forgot my back up pass word
Found this, on this forum. Hope it helps.
You can try resetting your secure password via Google Device Manager by logging into your Google account.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3265955?hl=en

Unfortunately, a secure lockscreen means just that: Secure. If you somehow lost fingerprint ID functionality and cannot remember the backup password (which was, after all, a back up should you lose fingerprint ID functionality in the first place), there's no other way to get your device to unlock legally.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm suspicious....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

My phone is now doing the same thing. I have the Note 4 on Sprint and the scanner doesn't even show up on the screen when i turn the device on it goes directly to the Backup password. I know I am using the correct password but after 5 attempts it then says the device does not recognize your fingerprint, try again in 30 seconds. Then after 30 seconds I try again and it says 10 attempts..... then after 15 attempts it says if your scanner isn't working please try your backup password. UGHHH!!!!!

I have restarted the device, tried the google device manager noted in the post above, pulled the battery and nothing works!

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

all -this happened to me after the 5.1.1 update. My phone FREAKED out and wouldn't allow the fingerprint scan. 40 minutes later I finally hit upon my backup password (I wasn't home - where I had it written down) and unlocked the phone.

First question to you all - does the screen show the "all seeing eye of Sauron?" :p

Because it appears that with the update, certain settings got turned on in my phone that were NOT previously on - Smart Stay.

if you see the Eye of Sauron, likely smart stay is turned on. Go to your settings, Display and Wallpaper, and see if the check box is checked. Mine was checked on after the update (and I did NOT have it on prior).

Unchecking that has CURED my lock screen issues completely. Fingerprint scanner is working perfectly again.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The easiest way, without losing data, is to bring the phone, along with a photo ID proving that it's yours, to your carrier, and ask them to please unlock it. As long as it's yours, it's a simple procedure and they should have no problem with it. (We won't do it here because we can't verify that the phone is yours.)

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site

The easiest way, without losing data, is to bring the phone, along with a photo ID proving that it's yours, to your carrier, and ask them to please unlock it. As long as it's yours, it's a simple procedure and they should have no problem with it. (We won't do it here because we can't verify that the phone is yours.)
Well that solves every thing...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

lilsproutie

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Sprint REFUSES to do this. I have been with them for over 13 years and they refuse, telling me there is no other way than a factory reset. I am VERY dissapointed in Sprint.

lilsproutie

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site

If I go to Samsung with the phone, the receipt, the box and everything, doesn't that prove I am the owner?

KaitlynRAH

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I am having this same problem tonight. I was using my phone one minute, then the next it was locked. I know what my password is, but no matter how many times I enter it, the phone says it's wrong. I called Sprint, they are no help at all. They say they can only factory reset. That's ridiculous. There has to be some less drastic solution. He said the only other thing to do is to take it to a Sprint store. Which I will do tomorrow. If they won't fix it without wiping everything off my phone, then it's goodbye to Sprint. I already really don't like them and this is the last straw.
By the way, after trying to enter my password, which is the ONLY option the phone is giving me, so many times, it keeps popping up with the message "your finger print scan has failed 15 times, please wait 30 seconds and try again." So stupid. I can't even scan my fingerprint. Believe me, I've tried. I think this reeks of a virus. Although I don't know how it could have gotten on the phone. I did receive a phone call from an unknown number located in "The United States" (which is weird in itself) just a minute before my phone stopped working. This phone is turning out to be garbage. My brother's been trying to talk me in to an IPhone for years. I think I may have to give it a try.

ze dad

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

all -this happened to me after the 5.1.1 update. My phone FREAKED out and wouldn't allow the fingerprint scan. 40 minutes later I finally hit upon my backup password (I wasn't home - where I had it written down) and unlocked the phone.

First question to you all - does the screen show the "all seeing eye of Sauron?" :p

Because it appears that with the update, certain settings got turned on in my phone that were NOT previously on - Smart Stay.

if you see the Eye of Sauron, likely smart stay is turned on. Go to your settings, Display and Wallpaper, and see if the check box is checked. Mine was checked on after the update (and I did NOT have it on prior).

Unchecking that has CURED my lock screen issues completely. Fingerprint scanner is working perfectly again.

ze dad

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

How could you get to the settings if the fingerprint isn't working then you can't access your phone !?

Nas2007

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi if you log on to samsung website from there you should be able to unlock your screen on the Finde my phone section, same thing happens to me on my note 4 the fingerprint stoped working, and I forgot my backup password as I never used it sins setting it up,

Daniel Jones10

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
had the same problem the only way is to factory reset sorry for the bad news, doing it thro the android device manager just gives you a message that the phone is already locked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith