How to make our Note 4 feel and look new again?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Any recommendations other than to buy a new case, change wallpaper, explore new features, or buy new apps? I have an unhealthy obesseion on buying the "latest and greatest", but feel my almost 1 year old Note 4 could last me another year, especially when it will get Android 6.0 update early next year. I don't want to get bored with my Note 4, especially if I may return my Note 5 next week.

So how do we spice up our Note 4?

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Root and custom rom is what comes to mind. Check xda for details. You can try different rooms when you tire of one. You can also try xposed and tweak to your hearts delight. Also might just be me but try Next lockscreen by Microsoft. You get some really nice lockscreen pictures every day.

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Take off the case, turn up the brightness, change launchers, icons, wallpapers, widgets. Try using the phone without a screen protector or replacing the screen protector.

On a separate note (pun intended) I was about to upgrade to a Note 5 this weekend. I spent 30 minutes comparing the Note 4 and Note 5 at Best Buy. I left with a new appreciation for the Note 4. It was still just as fast with the only hiccup happening randomly when opening recent apps.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I know it is nice to have the latest and greatest, no doubt. Just remember that what device qualifies as that today won't next month/year. With the Note 3 to Note 4 the Note 4 had everything the Note 3 had but it was better. I, for some reason, don't feel that way about the Note 5.

I still, for some reason feel like I may not have the latest but I still have the greatest. I know Note 5 owners would disagree. I want to want the Note 5 but I don't really want it. I hope it grows on me though. I'm just too content with my Note 4. Is that bad?

from the Elegance

savuth

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
To my observation, I am also use NOTE 4, I think NOTE is still good to use it. Nothing is different between NOTE 4 & 5.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes Note 4 is good and I don't thing upgrading to note 5 should change much. I love edge with note and hope to see note edge v2 next year. Though I love the looks of S6 edge+, it should have come with beloved Spen

Posted via the Android Central App

JHOFF79

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
To my observation, I am also use NOTE 4, I think NOTE is still good to use it. Nothing is different between NOTE 4 & 5.

Nothing is different?? Lol! Better compare specs again. Still rockin' Note 4 for a reason here. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Just use different launchers with different icon packs/widgets.

Besides rooting the best thing you can do on software side it's that. Mix launchers with different themes.. I for example use Material Base as a base for my UI setups.

Try things like Nova/Apex and other launchers..

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The Note 5 has the fastest SoC, 4GB of RAM, the fastest storage, arguably the very best camera, a more feature-rich S-Pen, the best display of any phone at any time ever, a better audio DAC, and is covered in glass that shatters if you look at it too hard. Trust me, there are differences between the two.

I still love me some Note 4.

from my old nexus 5

crp852

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I was feeling the same thing, after spending time in Best Buy, too.

So, I went home, downloaded and installed Smart Switch (which has superseded Kies from Samsung), backed up my Note 4 --- and did a factory reset.
Reinstalling the apps, theme, widgets, etc really made me feel like I had a new device.

Oh, and I also replaced the Otterbox Defender case I've had on the Note 4 since it came out with a smaller, thinner case. That helped too.

Total Cost: $43 (for the Tech21 Note 4 case at Best Buy, plus tax).

crp

Last edited:

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
This is what I did, finally installed a custom rom and pop rocks is a great upgrade.

I'm running custom rom on kitkat and still holding out on lollipop for now. Do you have xposed installed and running modules on poprocks? How's the battery life and do you miss from kitkat?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm running custom rom on kitkat and still holding out on lollipop for now. Do you have xposed installed and running modules on poprocks? How's the battery life and do you miss from kitkat?

I switched over to Dynamic Pop on my SM-N910T back in July. Loving it so far. Installed Xposed and themed it using Foreverloco's Lobotomy (grayish blue). Love the look as opposed to Samsung's stock colors. Also running Nova with a custom icon pack called Moko.

I think what I love the most about my phone besides the theme stuff is having GMD Gesture Control. I have a bunch of gestures set up making one handed operation a breeze. Heck, with just my right thumb alone I'm able to launch several different applications/actions from within any other application just by using a gesture from either the right or bottom edge of the screen. This totally replaced the need for the recent's menu for me.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I switched over to Dynamic Pop on my SM-N910T back in July. Loving it so far. Installed Xposed and themed it using Foreverloco's Lobotomy (grayish blue). Love the look as opposed to Samsung's stock colors. Also running Nova with a custom icon pack called Moko.

I think what I love the most about my phone besides the theme stuff is having GMD Gesture Control. I have a bunch of gestures set up making one handed operation a breeze. Heck, with just my right thumb alone I'm able to launch several different applications/actions from within any other application just by using a gesture from either the right or bottom edge of the screen. This totally replaced the need for the recent's menu for me.

Thanks a lot for this information. I'll be coming back to your post in a few months when I'm ready for LP. By then there'll be updated roms and fewer bugs. Custom roms are smooth and energy efficient if you pick the right one. It's a shame how "stock" phones are. Between the OEM and the carrier they really make a mess of things. Some people never have issues but I've not been one of the lucky ones. Nice tip on the gestures. Less sophisticated but I use an app by xda developer "switchr" that has translucent markers from where I can launch recent and pinned apps from any screen.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What I usually do is back everything up and do a factory reset.

Then, my phone would act as if it's brand new and I can start loading my stuff back in and set it up differently.

Changing the launcher and icon pack will definitely help with that "new-phone" feel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463