09-28-2015 02:40 AM
30 12
tools
    Any recommendations other than to buy a new case, change wallpaper, explore new features, or buy new apps? I have an unhealthy obesseion on buying the "latest and greatest", but feel my almost 1 year old Note 4 could last me another year, especially when it will get Android 6.0 update early next year. I don't want to get bored with my Note 4, especially if I may return my Note 5 next week.

So how do we spice up our Note 4?
    JHOFF79 and Tsepz_GP like this.
    08-24-2015 12:19 PM
    Root and custom rom is what comes to mind. Check xda for details. You can try different rooms when you tire of one. You can also try xposed and tweak to your hearts delight. Also might just be me but try Next lockscreen by Microsoft. You get some really nice lockscreen pictures every day.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    08-24-2015 12:35 PM
    All I want is the custom themes from the S6 and Note5. Not keen on rooting.
    cnotes63 likes this.
    08-24-2015 01:26 PM
    All I want is the custom themes from the S6 and Note5. Not keen on rooting.
    I use Nova launcher so I added a new icon theme called Belle UI which has icons that are shaped like the Note 5's.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-24-2015 01:54 PM
    Take off the case, turn up the brightness, change launchers, icons, wallpapers, widgets. Try using the phone without a screen protector or replacing the screen protector.

On a separate note (pun intended) I was about to upgrade to a Note 5 this weekend. I spent 30 minutes comparing the Note 4 and Note 5 at Best Buy. I left with a new appreciation for the Note 4. It was still just as fast with the only hiccup happening randomly when opening recent apps.
    Sammuel1973, JHOFF79 and huntnyc like this.
    08-24-2015 02:28 PM
    I know it is nice to have the latest and greatest, no doubt. Just remember that what device qualifies as that today won't next month/year. With the Note 3 to Note 4 the Note 4 had everything the Note 3 had but it was better. I, for some reason, don't feel that way about the Note 5.

I still, for some reason feel like I may not have the latest but I still have the greatest. I know Note 5 owners would disagree. I want to want the Note 5 but I don't really want it. I hope it grows on me though. I'm just too content with my Note 4. Is that bad?

from the Elegance
    08-24-2015 02:53 PM
    To my observation, I am also use NOTE 4, I think NOTE is still good to use it. Nothing is different between NOTE 4 & 5.
    08-25-2015 02:26 AM
    Yes Note 4 is good and I don't thing upgrading to note 5 should change much. I love edge with note and hope to see note edge v2 next year. Though I love the looks of S6 edge+, it should have come with beloved Spen

08-25-2015 02:32 AM
    To my observation, I am also use NOTE 4, I think NOTE is still good to use it. Nothing is different between NOTE 4 & 5.
    Nothing is different?? Lol! Better compare specs again. Still rockin' Note 4 for a reason here. :-)

08-25-2015 06:12 AM
    Just use different launchers with different icon packs/widgets.

Besides rooting the best thing you can do on software side it's that. Mix launchers with different themes.. I for example use Material Base as a base for my UI setups.

Try things like Nova/Apex and other launchers..
    08-25-2015 06:15 AM
    The Note 5 has the fastest SoC, 4GB of RAM, the fastest storage, arguably the very best camera, a more feature-rich S-Pen, the best display of any phone at any time ever, a better audio DAC, and is covered in glass that shatters if you look at it too hard. Trust me, there are differences between the two.

I still love me some Note 4.

from my old nexus 5
    Sammuel1973 and dd_terry like this.
    08-25-2015 06:36 AM
    This is what I did, finally installed a custom rom and pop rocks is a great upgrade.
    08-25-2015 03:48 PM
    I was feeling the same thing, after spending time in Best Buy, too.

So, I went home, downloaded and installed Smart Switch (which has superseded Kies from Samsung), backed up my Note 4 --- and did a factory reset.
    Reinstalling the apps, theme, widgets, etc really made me feel like I had a new device.

Oh, and I also replaced the Otterbox Defender case I've had on the Note 4 since it came out with a smaller, thinner case. That helped too.

Total Cost: $43 (for the Tech21 Note 4 case at Best Buy, plus tax).

crp
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    08-25-2015 04:36 PM
    This is what I did, finally installed a custom rom and pop rocks is a great upgrade.
    I'm running custom rom on kitkat and still holding out on lollipop for now. Do you have xposed installed and running modules on poprocks? How's the battery life and do you miss from kitkat?
    08-25-2015 04:42 PM
    Deleted duplicate post

crp
    08-25-2015 04:55 PM
    I'm running custom rom on kitkat and still holding out on lollipop for now. Do you have xposed installed and running modules on poprocks? How's the battery life and do you miss from kitkat?
    I switched over to Dynamic Pop on my SM-N910T back in July. Loving it so far. Installed Xposed and themed it using Foreverloco's Lobotomy (grayish blue). Love the look as opposed to Samsung's stock colors. Also running Nova with a custom icon pack called Moko.

I think what I love the most about my phone besides the theme stuff is having GMD Gesture Control. I have a bunch of gestures set up making one handed operation a breeze. Heck, with just my right thumb alone I'm able to launch several different applications/actions from within any other application just by using a gesture from either the right or bottom edge of the screen. This totally replaced the need for the recent's menu for me.
    Ambivalencetech likes this.
    08-25-2015 08:26 PM
    I switched over to Dynamic Pop on my SM-N910T back in July. Loving it so far. Installed Xposed and themed it using Foreverloco's Lobotomy (grayish blue). Love the look as opposed to Samsung's stock colors. Also running Nova with a custom icon pack called Moko.

I think what I love the most about my phone besides the theme stuff is having GMD Gesture Control. I have a bunch of gestures set up making one handed operation a breeze. Heck, with just my right thumb alone I'm able to launch several different applications/actions from within any other application just by using a gesture from either the right or bottom edge of the screen. This totally replaced the need for the recent's menu for me.
    Thanks a lot for this information. I'll be coming back to your post in a few months when I'm ready for LP. By then there'll be updated roms and fewer bugs. Custom roms are smooth and energy efficient if you pick the right one. It's a shame how "stock" phones are. Between the OEM and the carrier they really make a mess of things. Some people never have issues but I've not been one of the lucky ones. Nice tip on the gestures. Less sophisticated but I use an app by xda developer "switchr" that has translucent markers from where I can launch recent and pinned apps from any screen.
    08-25-2015 09:24 PM
    What I usually do is back everything up and do a factory reset.

Then, my phone would act as if it's brand new and I can start loading my stuff back in and set it up differently.

Changing the launcher and icon pack will definitely help with that "new-phone" feel.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    08-26-2015 08:26 AM
    No, I'm still loving my N4. Let's see what the N6 will bring, wait with me....

drrobg likes this.
    08-26-2015 09:29 AM
    No, I'm still loving my N4. Let's see what the N6 will bring, wait with me....

Yup I agree.. Note 5 a no no..

09-09-2015 04:41 PM
    Thanks for all your helpful suggestions folks! I was able to replace my TMOBILE 5.0 with a new 5.1.1 version, and it's very snappy, almost like my former Note 5.

Jack62. I am not as daring as you, so I put the DBrand skin, with bright red/blue colors. They come in many other colors/textures, custom made to your liking!

https://dbrand.com/shop
    Attached Thumbnails How to make our Note 4 feel and look new again?-1442935250416.jpg   How to make our Note 4 feel and look new again?-1442935260004.jpg   How to make our Note 4 feel and look new again?-1442935268978.jpg   How to make our Note 4 feel and look new again?-1442935277587.jpg  
    09-22-2015 11:23 AM
    BUMP! Waiting for reply from Sammuel1973
    So I might try the red face and sides they offer. How hard is it to put on and how does it look upon close inspection. I'm kinda picky. The pics you posted looked pretty good.
    It's pretty easy to put on, you just have to be very still with your fingers to put the sides on. From my pics above, you can tell they look pretty good up close. If you don't like it, you can always remove it, no harm to your phone.

Here's a video on installation:

09-25-2015 12:25 AM
    Non removable battery was a deal breaker for me. Didn't even bother looking at it. Still love my N4
    Sammuel1973 and CehowardNote7 like this.
    09-25-2015 11:52 AM
    Get a Moto X Pure and then go back to the Note 4 I have had the Pure for over a week now and besides the amazing stereo speakers and having twice the storage in the 64gb model, the Note 4 seems new because:

Pure runs a LOT hotter with apps that are heavier on GPU usage

Pure drains the battery a LOT quicker due to the GPU and LCD display

LCD backlighting starts to stand out with certain apps and you miss the pop and contrast.

The fixed NAV bar becomes annoying with some apps and games

Fixed battery becomes frustrating due to the battery life

The camera is not as good overall

My Note 4 is not rooted, but the bloat is killed with Packaged Disabler. The result is my Note 4 is already fast and minimal lag except due to Android baggage. Sadly though, the points about the fixed battery may be moot, since most are going that route now.

In spite of the points noted above, the speakers on the Pure was making me try to rationalize reasons to keep it. If I had to choose between the home button and speakers, I would choose the speakers and "accept" the fixed nav bar. There are a few apps that mitigate the nav bar, but do not "fix" it. The price is nice too.

I got the Pure due to the combined 64gb storage with SD slot and the lack of UI and carrier bloat. The battery and heat issues though are a profound issue that I can not accept.

That all said though, if you are a lighter user and do not use apps that are heavier with GPU usage, the Pure is nice.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    09-27-2015 06:31 AM
    Any recommendations other than to buy a new case, change wallpaper, explore new features, or buy new apps? I have an unhealthy obesseion on buying the "latest and greatest", but feel my almost 1 year old Note 4 could last me another year, especially when it will get Android 6.0 update early next year. I don't want to get bored with my Note 4, especially if I may return my Note 5 next week.

So how do we spice up our Note 4?
    I got a larger MicroSD, new slimcase and installed the Screen Off Memo app, so now I have the Note5's best feature, plus more memory than any 2015 Samsung Phablet could have and a new look all for very little money.

Sent from my GALAXY Note 4 via Tapatalk
    Sammuel1973 and nahoku like this.
    09-27-2015 07:32 AM
30 12