I cna't handle the horrible battery life after Lollipop update. Should I move over to the Note 5?

anon(400316)

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I know there isn't much difference between the Note 4 and Note 5, but I did read somewhere the battery life is improved. My battery was great on the 4 until I updated to lollipop. At this point I'm so frustrated I'm thinking about getting the Note 5. What do you think?

Or is there a way to fix the battery problem on my 4? It used to take 12 hours to go down to 30 percent. Now it takes 6....

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I know there isn't much difference between the Note 4 and Note 5, but I did read somewhere the battery life is improved. My battery was great on the 4 until I updated to lollipop. At this point I'm so frustrated I'm thinking about getting the Note 5. What do you think?

Or is there a way to fix the battery problem on my 4? It used to take 12 hours to go down to 30 percent. Now it takes 6....
1. Who is your carrier?
2. Which Lollipop are you on?
3. Did you try this:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/490666-if-battery-issue-delete-cache-fixed-my-battery-issue.html
or check here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/468747-galaxy-note-4-battery-life-concerns-check-here-first.html

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
A few things to consider:
1) After the LP update, did you do a factory reset? I did on mine and battery life was pretty much the same as before: Great.

2) Should you want to upgrade, I think the Note 5 is a great phone (just upgraded mine from the 4 to the 5). That being said, there ARE some differences that you should keep in mind if you want to keep them: No removable battery, even though having great battery life (so far just about the same and some reviews say a bit longer than the Note 4 when it came out), no SD card reader. The MultiWindow side bar is gone (MultiWindow is still there, it's just accessed through the multitasking menu, no more dedicated sidebar). Camera is awesome on the Note 5, and Pro Mode give you full manual control of it all. No IR blaster on the Note 5 either, but also not the same amount of bloatware, even from Samsung.

anon(400316)

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

1) TMobile
2) 5.0.1
3) I have tried those as well as full factory reset

Is it possible my battery coincidentally went bad right after updating to lollipop? For example, right now I am at 65% since 7 am! I would normally be at 80-85 percent at the most previously around this time.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible my battery coincidentally went bad right after updating to lollipop? For example, right now I am at 65% since 7 am! I would normally be at 80-85 percent at the most previously around this time.

It is possible. $20 for a new battery and 5 minutes to swap it out seems a lot cheaper and easier a solution to try it out than $??? and a few hours of setup for a Note 5.

If it doesn't work out, you can get most of that back by just selling the extra battery along with the phone.

Or you can go for a ZeroLemon or one of the BEAST MODE batteries and get as much battery life as you want to carry around. LOL

If it does work, pause for a moment and reflect on what a swappable battery means to you. :)

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I haven't experienced lower battery life on my T-MOBILE Note 4 since the update to 5.0.1. Are you running 5.1.1? Or still on 5.0.X? From the feedback about 5.1.1, it seems to have fixed any battery life problems. I don't have that update yet, so I can't verify that. Maybe there's something continuing to run on your phone that's draining power.

Posted via the Android Central App

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
1) TMobile
2) 5.0.1

Sorry, no help here. :( If you were with Sprint on LP5.0.0 with ANK2 firmware (KK4.4.4) then you could have downgraded.

This issue, among others, is why I'm still on KK4.4.4. Still very smooth and seamless with great battery life so far.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
1) TMobile
2) 5.0.1

Have you tried Clear Cache Partition? That's what I've done after updates (never had to do a full reset),and everything works fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

IF you do switch to the Note 5, hopefully what you've read somewhere is right and accurate for you, and not just them. My Note 4 far underperforms in the battery sense, so luckily I carry a spare when I need to. With the Note 5, it's either better and will be even after the Marshmallow update (i'd be shocked if it is considering my past experiences), OR it will be poor as well and you won't have the spare battery option.

savuth

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I am using NOTE 4, I bought it less than 2 months time. I am still confident that the NOTE 4 is still powerful device ever seen. I also have gone through the NOTE specification and found that not much different between both of them.

In term of battery life, I suggest you to us one app is so power to save your battery life. the reason is because there are so many apps is running on your device on 24/7, that is why your battery life is not last long. The app I have just mentioned is call "Shutup", this app will kill all unnecessary running apps on your device, nothing is impact to your device or apps, but it kill only un-used apps is running on you device. HOPE it will work with your device. THANKS

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
After an update you need to do a Factory Reset due to the fragmentation and old OS coding and data.

Use Greenify, to hibernate some apps and turn off Mobile Data when you're not using.. Also manually change the display's brightness.

If you are really desperate because of battery life on Android L, I recommend you to root and install a AOSP ROM or a Touchwiz Bloatware free with Battery tweaks ROM, that fixed my battery life issues and started to use the phone on a 2-3 days charging routine.

Other than that, we have to wait for 5.1 or we go back to 4.4

(Note 4 on 5.0.1/2 mobile data bug and so on causes a lot of battery drain, especially with bluetooth connected to Android Wear alongside bad signal)

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile Note 4 and it's running on 5.0.1. These results were using the battery that originally came with the Note 4, not the secondary battery I have. Typically I'll get about 1 Day and 10 hours, I always turn off my phone overnight, so you would have to add those typical 6 hours, and I usually get over 4 hours of on screen time. Since it was the weekend, I used the phone a bit more and drained it all the way out to the next day. Screen brightness is usually at 60%, but I'll drop it to 20% when I'm typing, and increase it all the way if I'm going to see a youtube video. Some gaming here and there. Mainly was on 4G LTE, but I used the wifi for a few hours. No GPS.

I would suggest getting a new battery and seeing how it goes, before committing to $800 to a new phone. This may be a battery issue. Unless you are set on getting the Note 5, otherwise it's cheaper to try out a different battery first.

2gxnyn6.png
fkzorn.png

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I like Natehoy's answer. Buy an OEM spare battery that comes with the charger, you will not regret it. When the battery is running low, spend only 30 seconds to get 100% again with the swap. Charge both batteries as you normally do at night, separately, and wake up with 2 fresh batteries in the morning. I have the Note 5 also, I can't do that. Another option is to ask for the Loyalty Department at TMobile, they would most likely send you a free new battery replacement.

Last edited:

anon(400316)

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK so all these were very helpful. I have downloaded the ShutApp app and seems to be working! Down to only 95 percent since 630 am!!!!! I have also purchased an oem battery from amazon. Should be in tomorrow. Looks like I'm back in business!!!!!! Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

wricu01

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually getting very good battery life on my know for what I'm having other problems with it freezing since to 5.1.1 update

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad