I ask because on the Note 5 board, obviously the S pen can be inserted wrong which equates to a damaged phone. They go on to say that the Note 4 gives a warning if the S pen is inserted incorrectly. I just tried to insert my S pen the wrong way in my Edge and it's obvious that it won't fit. Are the S pens and opening the same for both phones?

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...
    08-31-2015 01:55 AM
    Yes.

My Note 4 S-Pen also doesn't fit, the tip of it its out instead of inside.... I never got the warning say it though, only the warning saying I left the pen behind.
    08-31-2015 08:51 AM
    The back of my Note 4 pen fits in the slot, but reaches a "stop" before it is fully inserted. There's enough friction to hold it in place, though. I've absentmindedly tried to put it back in the wrong way while on my way to meetings. I've put in in backward on purpose before so it was more convenient to take it back out when I reached my next meeting, but having it in there about 1/3 of the way when it is backward stops the "you forgot your S-Pen, dummy!" warnings. So it's occasionally a useful, if "not mentioned in the manual", thing.

If I had not read the stories about people breaking the S-Pen detector by doing this with the Note 5, I might have tried the same thing with it (assuming I ever upgraded to the Note 5). That would have made me sad.
    08-31-2015 11:32 AM
    For all of the "stupid user" comments out there on the Note 5 pen debacle, I find that kind of design mistake horrifying.

SHOULD you put the pen in backward? No.

Is it mentioned specifically in the manual? Yes.

Are people who do it stupid? Probably.

Could this have been designed at no additional cost to turn a careless "I have just permanently damaged my very expensive device" moment into an equally careless "Whoops! That was careless of me, ha ha! No harm done!" moment? Abso-fraggin-lutely. Instead of a swinging arm with a backward holding barb, they could simply have rounded off the end of the arm so it wouldn't catch the end of the S-pen.
    08-31-2015 01:24 PM