Greetings,

I have been reading these forums trying to find a solution to my problem. 2 weeks ago I purchased a note 4 online. When it was delivered, I turned it on and within minutes it started it's update. I charged the phone up and it would not charge past 46%. I reset the phone and when it turned on the battery said 63%. No matter how long the phone was charging it would never go past 63%. The phone would also shut off exactly at 24% and try to restart several times on its own. I called the company i bought the phone from and they had me return the note and they sent a brand new one.

I received the new phone, and initially the battery had 78%. Once again the phone completed updates and no matter what i do the battery will not charge past 69%. I cleared the cache partition and it did not do anything to improve the situation. Is there something wrong with the updates or am I getting faulty phones/batteries.

Thank you for any help.
    09-02-2015 12:18 PM
    Greetings,

I have been reading these forums trying to find a solution to my problem. 2 weeks ago I purchased a note 4 online. When it was delivered, I turned it on and within minutes it started it's update. I charged the phone up and it would not charge past 46%. I reset the phone and when it turned on the battery said 63%. No matter how long the phone was charging it would never go past 63%. The phone would also shut off exactly at 24% and try to restart several times on its own. I called the company i bought the phone from and they had me return the note and they sent a brand new one.

I received the new phone, and initially the battery had 78%. Once again the phone completed updates and no matter what i do the battery will not charge past 69%. I cleared the cache partition and it did not do anything to improve the situation. Is there something wrong with the updates or am I getting faulty phones/batteries.

Thank you for any help.
    Welcome to the forums!

Who did you buy the phones from and where are you located? States or not?
    09-02-2015 12:24 PM
    I bought the phone (unlocked att version) from b&h photo. Yes Im in the states, Pa.
    09-02-2015 01:00 PM
    Your original post didn't mention it but what charger and cable are you using? Also verify that it's an original charger for the phone. The charger should say "Adaptive Fast Charging" on one side and look like this on the other:

Two brand new Note 4's and neither will charge past 69%.-adaptivefastcharger.jpg

Note the dual voltage rating and the amperage. When fast charging the charger should be putting out nearly 15 watts of power at 9v and once battery reaches a certain point the charger will step down to 5v output and put out about 10 watts of power.

Just want to be sure you've got the right stuff to start with.

If instead you're charging with your own charger or off of a computer that's an important point to note in your troubleshooting.
    09-02-2015 01:33 PM
    I bought the phone (unlocked att version) from b&h photo. Yes Im in the states, Pa.
    One thing you can try before returning, is going to Best Buy and have them reflash the software at the Samsung counter. They will do that for free. See if that helps.
    Pitcom likes this.
    09-02-2015 01:33 PM
    Another thing you can try, if B&H sells Note 4 batteries, is to ask them to give you a new-in-container battery instead of replacing the whole phone again. See if the new battery solves the problem.

Was this supposed to be a brand new phone or a used one? "AT&T Unlocked" implies it's a used/refurb phone.
    09-02-2015 01:48 PM
    Your original post didn't mention it but what charger and cable are you using? Also verify that it's an original charger for the phone. The charger should say "Adaptive Fast Charging" on one side and look like this on the other:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AdaptiveFastCharger.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	194533

Note the dual voltage rating and the amperage. When fast charging the charger should be putting out nearly 15 watts of power at 9v and once battery reaches a certain point the charger will step down to 5v output and put out about 10 watts of power.

Just want to be sure you've got the right stuff to start with.

If instead you're charging with your own charger or off of a computer that's an important point to note in your troubleshooting.
    Yes the charger they sent with my phone is the one you have pictured here.
    09-02-2015 03:07 PM
    Another thing you can try, if B&H sells Note 4 batteries, is to ask them to give you a new-in-container battery instead of replacing the whole phone again. See if the new battery solves the problem.

Was this supposed to be a brand new phone or a used one? "AT&T Unlocked" implies it's a used/refurb phone.
    This was supposed to be a brand new phone. It is sold as a factory unlocked phone, att branded. I asked when i called for a replacement and they stated the phone is new and not refurbed.
    09-02-2015 03:08 PM
    This was supposed to be a brand new phone. It is sold as a factory unlocked phone, att branded. I asked when i called for a replacement and they stated the phone is new and not refurbed.
    OK, fair enough. I had just never heard of at AT&T branded one being unlocked then sold as new. Just not a concept I was familiar with.

If it's a brandy-new phone, they'd probably rather give you another battery than have to break the seal on yet another new whole phone to try and deal with the issue. On the other hand, maybe they just got a bad batch. In either case, they owe you a phone that charges to 100%, so I'd ask them how they intend to get one to you.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-02-2015 06:19 PM
    When I received my Note 4 a few months ago, it came with a standard charger and not the adaptive fast charger, this was a sealed box! I promptly got on to the supplier and they sent out the fast charger, it does happen. ☺
    09-02-2015 06:26 PM
    When I received my Note 4 a few months ago, it came with a standard charger and not the adaptive fast charger, this was a sealed box! I promptly got on to the supplier and they sent out the fast charger, it does happen. ☺
    True but adaptive fast charger or not the phone will charge to 100% . . and besides, the OP noted in resposne #7 that the charger is correct.

My only advice to the OP is to power the device off fully and then charge for a couple of hours in the powered off state. It should top off at that point and if it doesnt then it's most likely not a software issue but a hardware one.
    09-02-2015 07:22 PM
    I have a similar problem, but not the battery, but with the software. Previously, I used Galaxy S4 and a friend of mine, bought a brand new NOTE 4 right just a few days after its released. I found that the NOTE is so powerful phone, then I had decided to switch to NOTE 4.

After I bought it, I found there are some power in the phone itself. After the first start a few minutes, then I was asked to update a new software (first start the phone it was Kitkate 4.4.4.), then I updated to Lollipop 5.0.1 as request.

All apps such as Recording Mode button, Shutter Sound button and Photo Editor plugin (all these apps are factory pre-installed). was running ok, after few minutes later, I was asked to update to Lollipop 5.0.1, then I updated as request.

After update the software, then everything was gone (Recording Mode, Shutter Sound Button), also I randomly un-installed the pre-installed plugin photo Editor, then I realized that it cannot be used with photo edit, I tried to download it again, but it indicated that it does not exist in the Samsung app. I tried to download it from normal play store, but it does not work properly. later I was asking for help, but there is no solution from either Samsung center or anyone else.

If any one of you or friends around the world have any idea, please kindly share with me. THANKS
    09-02-2015 10:11 PM