Get a Note 4 or Note 5?

mcoomer

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm due for a phone and I've become accustomed to Samsung phones, since my company phone is an S4. I've always been a Motorola user but now I'm considering a Galaxy Note. The Note 5 is all the rage right now but honestly it has essentially the same specs as the Note 4, a smaller battery that you can't get to, and no Micro SD slot. If you had the choice of picking up another Note 4, would you do it or get a Note 5? Price difference is negligible on Verizon right now ($3/month more for Note 5).

Thanks,
Mike

taife32

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm due for a phone and I've become accustomed to Samsung phones, since my company phone is an S4. I've always been a Motorola user but now I'm considering a Galaxy Note. The Note 5 is all the rage right now but honestly it has essentially the same specs as the Note 4, a smaller battery that you can't get to, and no Micro SD slot. If you had the choice of picking up another Note 4, would you do it or get a Note 5? Price difference is negligible on Verizon right now ($3/month more for Note 5).

Thanks,
Mike
The Note 5 has better specs compared to the Note 4 by far. In fact the current S6 line and the Note 5 are the fastest devices out there.

The only three negatives against them is that : 1) They are made of glass on the back as well. 2) Have no swappable batteries and. 3) Have no expandable storage.

So you can make your decision on whether to get the Note 5 or 4 based on whether the three cons on the list matter much to you or not.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The Note 4 also has an IR transmitter if you use that. That's an irrelevant loss for some, and a significant loss for others.

Personally, I'd go for another Note 4 over a Note 5. There are some neat features on the Note 5, but for me personally nothing worth spending the extra money and losing my replaceable battery. Others' priorities will vary.

lagunarad

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The one and only thing I do not like about my Note 4 is that it can't take a good picture of moving subjects. Other than that, it's great.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Go for the N5 if you never saw the need to swap batteries, have expandable storage or an IR blaster. And frankly I think the N5 is faster but not anything that translates in daily use. I think the N4 is more future proof but the N5 would serve you until the next time you're "due"

Mr-Guy

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't care what a phone looks like but it needs to be functional. I always put it in a case so it could be electric orange and I could care less. I have had Note phones since the 2 came out. Currently I have the 4 and see no good reason to change this year. The 4 is going to be cheaper and it is still a killer smart phone. I use the stylus all the time. Look at the YouTube videos on its use.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
My only consideration for wanting a Note 5 is the camera. I take tons of pics every day and the camera on the 5 is amazing. I would recommend a Note Edge while you can still get them!

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the update my note 4 has not been the same. I think they purposely mess up the phones software so we can get a new phone. Batter life has been garbage

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

mostafa3598

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Ever since the update my note 4 has not been the same. I think they purposely mess up the phones software so we can get a new phone. Batter life has been garbage

I was having the same issue. But I switched to custom rom, and the battery life is great now.

In my opinion, I would recommend a note 4 over note 5.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
My only consideration for wanting a Note 5 is the camera. I take tons of pics every day and the camera on the 5 is amazing. I would recommend a Note Edge while you can still get them!
The Note 4 has an excellent camera as well.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The only three negatives against them is that : 1) They are made of glass on the back as well. 2) Have no swappable batteries and. 3) Have no expandable storage.
There are many more than three negatives when comparing the Note 4 to Note 5. The Note 5 dropped a lot of stuff found on the Note 4.

The one and only thing I do not like about my Note 4 is that it can't take a good picture of moving subjects. Other than that, it's great.

Besides "Shot and More", there's a camera mode you can download to help with action photos. It's called "Sports". Just open you camera app, click on Mode, then click on Download. There is also functionality to capture frame by frame stills from video. So if you're afraid of missing anything, shoot a video and capture what ever frame you want. The photos will be saved in the gallery. Just so you know, the captured frame resolution will be less than if you took a photo, but for sharing it's pretty good. Frame by frame capture is found on the Note 4... they removed this functionality on the Note 5!

The Note 4 has an excellent camera as well.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
The camera sensor (IMX240) on the Note 4 is the exact same sensor on the Note 5. In normal lighting, you will not be able to tell the difference between photos taken by the Note 4 vs the Note 5. In low light, the Note 5 will perform better.

taife32

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

With the 5.1.1 update my Note 4 has been very good, on battery as well.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had the Note 4 and Note 5. The Note 4 really made me appreciate the convenience of the swappable battery feature more than ever before, aside from the other features already mentioned. The Note 5 is a great looking device with better specs, but many handy features have been stripped, so I returned it.

At any rate, I love the Note 4 so much, in fact my 2nd new one just arrived yesterday from TMobile. If you are with TMobile, make sure to ask for the 5.1.1 software, SM-N910T3 version out of the box. It is faster than the 5.0 version, no GPS and camera focus issue. I have put a new skin on both Note 4s, and will give one away as a birthday gift.

Attachments

• 1443880392712.jpg
    1443880392712.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1443880412654.jpg
    1443880412654.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 18
  • 1443880432164.jpg
    1443880432164.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 1443880441344.jpg
    1443880441344.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have had the Note 4 and Note 5. The Note 4 really made me appreciate the convenience of the swappable battery feature more than ever before, aside from the other features already mentioned. The Note 5 is a great looking device with better specs, but many handy features have been stripped, so I returned it.

At any rate, I love the Note 4 so much, in fact my 2nd new one just arrived yesterday from TMobile. If you are with TMobile, make sure to ask for the 5.1.1 software, SM-N910T3 version out of the box. It is faster than the 5.0 version, no GPS and camera focus issue. I have put a new skin on both Note 4s, and will give one away as a birthday gift.

Hey, how'd you get the skin on? That looks so cool. Is that a case or what? Makes the phone look really sharp!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech