Note 4 super slow and buggy

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having trouble with their Note 4 lagging really bad today? Both mine and my wife's phones have been really bad. It won't answer calls and if lagging terribly on any and every app I try to open our interact with.

Posted via the Android Central App

berryabusr88

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Ya know it's funny you mention that. My wife and I both have Note 4's and they were extremely laggy as well. It's a time release bug Samsung puts in phones so you get frustrated and upgrade to the newest device. Just kidding. But that's my theory. Every android I've had has gone down the ****ter when the new model comes out. For instance when I was with verizon I had an s4 as soon as the s5 dropped. The s4 dropped calls missed texts etc....this also happened with other androids I've had. It could be coincidence. But idk...it smells fishy

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ya know it's funny you mention that. My wife and I both have Note 4's and they were extremely laggy as well. It's a time release bug Samsung puts in phones so you get frustrated and upgrade to the newest device. Just kidding. But that's my theory. Every android I've had has gone down the ****ter when the new model comes out. For instance when I was with verizon I had an s4 as soon as the s5 dropped. The s4 dropped calls missed texts etc....this also happened with other androids I've had. It could be coincidence. But idk...it smells fishy

I think the same way . My wife and have the note 4 and it's crappy now.

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Have you recently updated to 5.1.1?

I'm still on 5.0.1. It seems to be a little better today but I have experienced the screen freezing up, not being able to answer calls, apps taking way to long to open, etc.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on 5.0.1. It seems to be a little better today but I have experienced the screen freezing up, not being able to answer calls, apps taking way to long to open, etc.

Ok...was wondering, because there are reported lag issues regarding the upgrade to 5.1.1.

Is it possible that you and your wife downloaded the same app, that might be causing the issues? It could also be an app that was updated for 5.1.1, that might be causing issues with you being on the earlier version. Is 5.1.1 available for you?

Try and clear cache. Turn phone off. Then hold, POWER, VOLUME UP AND HOME AT THE SAME TIME. This will get you to recovery mode. Then scroll down to the clear cache partition option and then hit the power button to clear, then choose reboot. See if that works.

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been crapping put on me, too. Especially the camera. Aside from the terrible lag and the fact that the phone doesn't "awake" often when I press the home button, the camera takes about 30 seconds to focus...if it focuses at all. I typically have to attempt to close the app, which takes forever because of the severe lag issues. I'm fed up with this crap phone. So regret changing from LG back to Samsung.

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I did a factory reset last night and it still has issues. Not showing a phone call when the phone rings and vibrates. Lagging terribly to the point that some apps won't open even after minutes of waiting. I have never been one for Apple but I think I am going to give the new 6S Plus a try. Given my line of work I cannot settle for not being able to answer a call. This has been the worst phone experience of any phone that I have had. The Note 5 is enticing but I can't see buying it given the issues I have had with this one. Sad day in my household as I have been an avid Android user for many years now.

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I've stuck with 5.0.1 and not a problem. I have heard this off other users with 5.1.1

Believe me, if you have the problems that I am you will be trying everything to get into another phone. This has been horrible. The phone has restarted itself no less than 8 times since Tuesday.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You have Equipment Protection through your carrier? Take it in and they'll replace it. They'll have to if it's as bad as you say.

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
My Note 4 is experiencing the same extreme lag issues and freezing that everyone else is describing. Take a photo, screen will sometimes go dark and phone is frozen. Receive a text, phone sometimes freezes and goes dark. Swipe to answer a call might work, or it might not. Back button might work, it might not. Take a video in landscape, it only plays back in portrait. Try to open Google Voice, maybe it opens, maybe not. Screen stays on during a phone call and changes to whatever screen it wants to while I'm on my call... bleeping and blurping the whole time. And last night, not even using the phone, it froze and went dark. I primarily use business productivity apps. Phone has had two factory resets since purchased in July. I restart it all the time. I pull the battery. I've cleared the cache repeatedly. I've sacrificed 3rd part apps hoping to make thing better. Battery life is poor, despite the reviews raving about amazing battery life. These issues are probably not all related but I don't care... and I don't care why these issues happen. All I know is they aren't my fault and for $700 we all deserve a heck of a lot better. I have been a loyal Android user since the original Moto Droid but the neglect of either the hardware quality control or the software on this Samsung/Verizon phone has me considering an alternative to being embarrassed to use my Note 4 in my client's presence. "No updates are available. Your software is up to date." Sure.

samwifi

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I did a factory reset last night and it still has issues. Not showing a phone call when the phone rings and vibrates. Lagging terribly to the point that some apps won't open even after minutes of waiting. I have never been one for Apple but I think I am going to give the new 6S Plus a try. Given my line of work I cannot settle for not being able to answer a call. This has been the worst phone experience of any phone that I have had. The Note 5 is enticing but I can't see buying it given the issues I have had with this one. Sad day in my household as I have been an avid Android user for many years now.

Ditto. I'm chucking this note 4 and going for a 6s plus. I used to love android, but can't deal with the slowness and most of all the bluetooth skipping. This is such a major bug that Google has never taken seriously. It's so stupid! I've had to go back to kk and go through the stupid "debloater" process and ya basically bluetooth is ok, but then many other apps crash on a regular basis, probably because I'm not updating to lol-pop and then not receiving an updated app. I will miss the pen.. but basic usability is key. Ease of use is key. Stability is key. Google is underestimating how critical these "little" things are..

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
My Note 4 is experiencing the same extreme lag issues and freezing that everyone else is describing. Take a photo, screen will sometimes go dark and phone is frozen. Receive a text, phone sometimes freezes and goes dark. Swipe to answer a call might work, or it might not. Back button might work, it might not. Take a video in landscape, it only plays back in portrait. Try to open Google Voice, maybe it opens, maybe not. Screen stays on during a phone call and changes to whatever screen it wants to while I'm on my call... bleeping and blurping the whole time. And last night, not even using the phone, it froze and went dark. I primarily use business productivity apps. Phone has had two factory resets since purchased in July. I restart it all the time. I pull the battery. I've cleared the cache repeatedly. I've sacrificed 3rd part apps hoping to make thing better. Battery life is poor, despite the reviews raving about amazing battery life. These issues are probably not all related but I don't care... and I don't care why these issues happen. All I know is they aren't my fault and for $700 we all deserve a heck of a lot better. I have been a loyal Android user since the original Moto Droid but the neglect of either the hardware quality control or the software on this Samsung/Verizon phone has me considering an alternative to being embarrassed to use my Note 4 in my client's presence. "No updates are available. Your software is up to date." Sure.

Here are a few things to consider doing:

1) Wipe Cache Partition. Here's how: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-14686 (It doesn't matter that the instructions are from T-Mobile. It will work for all phones and you won't lose any data.)
2) Clear cache data. Settings>Storage>Cache Data>Click on Cache Data and then "Clear" (You will not lose anything on your device.)
3) You mention that you only use Productivity Apps. It is possible that one of them could be your problem. What productivity apps are you using?

FYI, I have a ten month old Note 4 AT&T with no problems and no lag on 5.0.1.

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for trying to help resolve my Note 4 issues. I have wiped the cache partition again. Some of my productivity apps are specific and necessary to my profession. My point about the productivity apps is that I'm not side loading garbage apps and I keep all apps updated. My issues are not specific to me. There are plenty of others with similar issues, which makes me think that there is a deeper issue. Thanks again for trying to help me out.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My Note 4 is pretty brutal in the lag department. I had the Note 2 and Note 3, but this seems to be the worst. I did bail on the Note 3 for the Droid Turbo then came back to the Note 4. So maybe i just got used to the Turbo and not it is more noticeable.

Regardless it sucks. I love many things about Samsung phones, specifically the keyboard and the calendar, but i might have to jump ship

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
You have Equipment Protection through your carrier? Take it in and they'll replace it. They'll have to if it's as bad as you say.

I don't have the Equipment Protection plan but Verizon is sending me a new one anyway. Called customer service and explained what was happening and they are sending me a new Note 4. Should be here by Wednesday. I also went ahead and pre ordered the iPhone 6S Plus. I have never really used one so I want to see for myself the difference. Everyone that I would with has the iPhone and does not have issues. In my line of work my phone is the difference in bringing home a paycheck and not.

I did switch back to my Moto X (2013) and it is working flawlessly.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for trying to help resolve my Note 4 issues. I have wiped the cache partition again. Some of my productivity apps are specific and necessary to my profession. My point about the productivity apps is that I'm not side loading garbage apps and I keep all apps updated. My issues are not specific to me. There are plenty of others with similar issues, which makes me think that there is a deeper issue. Thanks again for trying to help me out.

Did you clear cache data (number 2 on my list)? It is different than wiping the cache partition.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
@Reg Robinson - Just because applications come from the Play Store which is essentially a "trusted source" doesn't mean they're not full of bugs or worse - that they will play nice with other applications/services. Abstaining from side loading isn't a guarantee that software issues will be avoided.

I'm willing to bet its either the interaction of one or more applications or the cumulative effects of multiple bad interactions that are causing your issues. The ONLY way to know is to systematically troubleshoot by doing a full factory reset and exercising restraint in installing applications giving the device time to settle in before adding more. Observations need to be made on how the device performs in between installation of each application until the culprit(s) are found.

Also, users need to keep in mind that kernels and drivers etc. vary from device to device. These variations are what give different devices their unique features and performance traits but they can also be the reason an application developed by another company/individual isn't compatible with the device or behaves poorly with other applications that coexist on the device. It isn't necessarily Samsung's responsibility to test the millions of applications and their interactions with each other on every one of their devices. It is their responsibility though to make sure their kernels/drivers are stable and follow applicable standards. This is where things can get tricky because if apps are developed using key parts of AOSP and other device manufacturers deviate away from AOSP too far then issues can arise and it then IS their fault. Tough issue to crack .. . but again this is where systematic testing has to be used to figure out where the issues lie.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the Equipment Protection plan but Verizon is sending me a new one anyway. Called customer service and explained what was happening and they are sending me a new Note 4. Should be here by Wednesday. I also went ahead and pre ordered the iPhone 6S Plus. I have never really used one so I want to see for myself the difference. Everyone that I would with has the iPhone and does not have issues. In my line of work my phone is the difference in bringing home a paycheck and not.

I did switch back to my Moto X (2013) and it is working flawlessly.

Good to hear! Keep us updated on the new Note 4 and the iPhone 6S Plus.