Can only send MMS, SMS fails

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

Running CM12.1 rooted on a Note 4 (Sprint N910p). Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in CM forum as the problem only recently arose.

I was able to send and receive text messages just fine up until this morning. No major changes done to phone. All of a sudden when replying to a message, the system says "message failed." When sending MMS, message goes through without a hitch! Was using stock messaging app, tried Textra just to be sure, same results. I can receive both SMS/MMS without issue. Only sending SMS causes send failure.

For giggles I went ahead and wiped data/system, cleared cache & dalvik and reflashed CM12.1. Same issue. My work phone is also on Sprint network, Note 3, no issues with SMS/MMS.

I searched Google for an answer, couldn't find anything helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I can provide any more info please let me know!

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Did a little more searching on similar issues and it seems to be an issue with my SMSC code (accessed through #*#*4636*#*# menu in dialer). When hitting refresh, no code appears here. I followed tutorials on inputting the SMSC from Sprint (the digits with the + in front) and even tried converting it to PDU format and inputting it that way, no avail. As long as I attach a picture with my messages it will send as an MMS, still not sending SMS.

anthonymoua95

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
One temporary solution I've found that's worked so far:

1. Type in the *#*#4636#*#* code in your dialer

2. There should be a little drop down menu under "Set preferred network type:". Click on that

3. Change whatever network you're currently on (I also have the SM-N910P version and usually get LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) by default) to CDMA auto (PRL)

4. Let it stay on that network for 10-30 seconds and then switch back to LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

5. SMS SHOULD work again.

If you ask me, it seems to be a problem with Cyanogenmod in general when it comes to this SMS problem. I've been lurking around various forums too and this problem seems to have been around for a while now. And one note, you will pretty much have to do this every time you reboot your phone or turn on/off airplane mode. It gets annoying after a while (which is why I'm glad standby time on CM 12.1 is amazing so I don't have to reboot my phone often) having to reconfigure the network in order for something as basic as SMS to work on this otherwise great ROM.

Sent from a phone made in 2014 that's NOT OBSOLETE

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for the help Anthony! Your solution worked perfectly for me. Sucks that we have to do this after each reboot, but more of a minor annoyance than anything. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

My last experience with CM was years ago when the HTC EVO 4G first came out, I don't recall having any such issues with it. Have you run across any other good ROMs? Like you said, I love CM for the performance and sleek looks, but something this simple should be fixed pretty quickly. Maybe there's a way to automate this through Tasker every time the phone reboots.

anthonymoua95

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree. In the end it is just a minor annoyance. I can deal with the minor annoyance as it takes less than a minute to configure even if I feel I shouldn't have to. I really hope Cyanogenmod finds a fix to that problem.

Have you run across any other good ROMs? Like you said, I love CM for the performance and sleek looks, but something this simple should be fixed pretty quickly.

I have the 5.1.1 firmware so it's hard to find ROMs for that firmware. If you have the 5.1.1 firmware, I'd recommend checking out OBAR. It is based off touchwiz/stock (You can go to the XDA Developers website and it'll be under the Sprint Galaxy Note 4 Android Development subforum). The thread is created SaintZ93

I tried it out for about 4 days and enjoyed it. But I'm back on CM12.1 because I accidentally tried flashing Xposed with OBAR which got me in a bootloop. I had it all configured before it and I didn't want to reconfigure everything all over again (eg. freezing/disabling bloatware, setting up Nova, etc.). It retains all the stock apps minus some Sprint apps basically. It is pretty a speedy ROM and SMS works right out of the gate. No need to do any of that *#*#4636#*#* stuff after rebooting or turning on/off airplane mode. I'd give it a try.

The Note line was meant to be about functionality (Note 4) and not form (Note 5)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol