09-25-2015 04:21 PM
50 12
tools
    If you're saying that 5.1.1 works properly on the Note 4 this time and it's more stable and reliable than 5.0.1, I will give LP another try and see how it behaves, I just don't want to end up with a phone that's full of bugs again, keep going back to KK to restore its full functionality and having to factory reset it each time. Also would you know if it's still possible to revert back to KK once 5.1.1 is installed?
    I'm surprised you're able to revert to KK from LP. AT&T, VZW and I believe Sprint (not sure) have incremented the bootloader, so any phone on these carriers are not able to revert to KK from any LP version. What carrier are you on?
    09-12-2015 08:41 PM
    I'm surprised you're able to revert to KK from LP. AT&T, VZW and I believe Sprint (not sure) have incremented the bootloader, so any phone on these carriers are not able to revert to KK from any LP version. What carrier are you on?
    My Note 4 is an international unlocked model, not a carrier branded one. Maybe that's the reason why I can choose which firmware is installed on it, rather than carriers making the decision for me, telling me that's what I'm going to get and live with, whether I like it or not.
    nahoku likes this.
    09-13-2015 03:02 PM
    For those questioning the Note 4 battery life. Honest thoughts on the Note 4-uploadfromtaptalk1442187918324.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    CTalman likes this.
    09-13-2015 06:45 PM
    What worries me most is all the talk of lag from within the Note 4 forum.
    I'm sure there are still plenty of people who don't have that experience but still... Its difficult not to be influenced by reading these forum threads!
    14 day return policy on mine (which I should get today) in case I change my mind...

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-14-2015 03:50 AM
    I'm sure there are still plenty of people who don't have that experience but still... Its difficult not to be influenced by reading these forum threads!
    14 day return policy on mine (which I should get today) in case I change my mind...

I'm curious if it'll come with 5.1.1. Drop in and let us know.
    CTalman likes this.
    09-14-2015 04:26 AM
    This is just so strange. I wonder why there's so much deviation in times noted on different phones. Here's a video I just shot of my camera to gallery delay. All my photos and videos are stored on SD by default. For me, it doesn't matter if it's a photo, or video, the gallery pops up quite readily when I hit the button.

You can tell when the gallery has launched by watching the icons change at the top of the phone. Also note that I showed the "recent apps" so you can see that both the camera and gallery were not previously launched.

I have to wonder if it's some kind of sync issue, or a Lollipop issue.
    I dunno. I don't have another camera handy, but when I take a couple of shots (maybe it's more than one, lag on writing the last image to memory? No idea - wild guess there) and click on the preview, the camera just sits there running for several seconds with no ability to take shots, then the newest picture comes up.

It doesn't bother me all that much. Just strange that not all phones have it. I have no SD card installed.
    nahoku likes this.
    09-14-2015 08:01 AM

Where it counts, there is no lag I have ever noticed.
    CTalman likes this.
    09-14-2015 08:02 AM
    I dunno. I don't have another camera handy, but when I take a couple of shots (maybe it's more than one, lag on writing the last image to memory? No idea - wild guess there) and click on the preview, the camera just sits there running for several seconds with no ability to take shots, then the newest picture comes up.

It doesn't bother me all that much. Just strange that not all phones have it. I have no SD card installed.
    I had the same issue where the only lag I had was after taking a picture. That lag went away when I cleared cache data. (Settings>Storage>Cache data>Tap on cache data>Clear) I have no idea why this helped, but it did.
    nahoku likes this.
    09-14-2015 08:27 AM
    I had the same issue where the only lag I had was after taking a picture. That lag went away when I cleared cache data. (Settings>Storage>Cache data>Tap on cache data>Clear) I have no idea why this helped, but it did.
    I do that once a week, and the "problem" (I put it in quotes because it's just not that big a deal!) persists even after a factory reset I did for other reasons.

Meh. I know about it, and the 2-3 times a month at most that I feel a compelling need to look at a photo immediately after I've taken it, waiting a few seconds just isn't something I feel the need to go looking to "solve". I'd probably screw something else up much worse. LOL
    tsells likes this.
    09-14-2015 09:11 AM
    I'm curious if it'll come with 5.1.1. Drop in and let us know.
    I'm in England so I have the European version of the phone, unlocked model SM-N910F.
    And it has arrived with Android 5.0.1.
    Only been playing with the phone for about an hour so can't tell if there's any issues with 5.0.1 on this device.
    Any suggestions on options I need to turn on/off from the beginning?
    Does ambient display waste more battery?

nahoku and Tsepz_GP like this.
    09-14-2015 04:05 PM

I changed the saved location to the phone (instead of SD) just to see what happens and it didn't change anything. I even took a photo while my browser was playing a video on youtube, and it opened the gallery the same speed. Very strange. It works fine with multiple photos too. It's a mystery, but as long as it doesn't bother you, you're good. Well, maybe one day when you have to factory reset your phone, you can check this to see if possibly some app was affecting this.
    09-14-2015 04:43 PM
    I'm in England so I have the European version of the phone, unlocked model SM-N910F.
    And it has arrived with Android 5.0.1.
    Only been playing with the phone for about an hour so can't tell if there's any issues with 5.0.1 on this device.
    Any suggestions on options I need to turn on/off from the beginning?
    Does ambient display waste more battery?

If you can, I suggest updating to 5.1.1, all bits of lag has been removed, and the phone runs beautifully, very snappy and smooth.

Sent from my GALAXY Note 4
    Sammuel1973 and CTalman like this.
    09-19-2015 05:39 AM
    Well, I never thought I would say this but since the latest update I can't use my phone inside. I may give the Windows phone or IPhone a go, not being able to have a phone call from a phone? What's the good in that?
    09-21-2015 07:09 PM
    Thanks for all the comments so far. All very useful and informative.
    I do like my LG G3 but I'm ready for a change. I've not had a Samsung before and I like to try different phones each time.
    The Moto X Pure/Style is also on my radar but the Note 4 may just win through.
    A decent battery, very good camera and good screen are high upon my wish list for a phone and with the price of the Note 4 starting to drop it sounds like this could be a winner (despite being a year old).
    Does anyone use the fingerprint scanner, sounds to me that this isn't particularly good on the Note 4?
    TouchWiz is a concern but I'd probably just use Nova or another launcher... What is the experience of using these launchers on this phone?
    Thanks.

I haven't had the Pure but am switching to it from this Note. It's laggy and buggy. Hell, whenever I try to make calls, it just shuts down the dialer and takes me to my homescreen. I usually have to try and dial someone 4-5 times before it actually works. Just factory reset like 2 months ago also. I'll sell you mine if you want. It's on Verizon.

I'm done w/ Sammy products forever at this moment. The camera is absolutely stupendous and the main reason I bought it but now that Moto X Pure has a significantly better camera and world's better Android experience w/ extremely useful features, I will go back to them.
    09-22-2015 08:06 AM
    Well, I never thought I would say this but since the latest update I can't use my phone inside. I may give the Windows phone or IPhone a go, not being able to have a phone call from a phone? What's the good in that?
    Don't rely on Sammy to give a good Android experience. Get Nexus or Moto.
    09-22-2015 08:07 AM
    Love the Note 4. It's my first note. There is a little lag here and there but that's not something that bothers me. I use it as a companion to my Note Pro 12.2 tablet for mostly business but other things also. My music is on the Note 4 (SD card) as are photos. They are backed up on One Drive. No apps on the card. It seems like a big device at first but it's really not. I don't use a case but it looks like new. Lollipop was a nice upgrade for it. The screen is very sensitive. I've got big hands and sometimes while holding it I end up opening an app because part of my hand brushed the screen. I just close the app and life goes on. I move to the Note 4 from an S4 and it was a world of difference. The SPen really sold me. I'm using Nova launcher prime and Swiftkey Beta keyboard.
    It's a real workhorse for me.

Posted via Android Central App
    I have a Note 3. I notice no lag. Has anyone compared them. Does the Note 4 lag more or do I simply not notice the lag?
    09-22-2015 12:46 PM
    If you can, I suggest updating to 5.1.1, all bits of lag has been removed, and the phone runs beautifully, very snappy and smooth.

Sent from my GALAXY Note 4
    I can attest to that. If you are with TMobile, ask specifically for the free 5.1.1 replacement.
    09-22-2015 01:06 PM
    I have a Note 3. I notice no lag. Has anyone compared them. Does the Note 4 lag more or do I simply not notice the lag?
    I don't see any lag on my Note 4. I think people who have problems have just too many apps running at the same time, conflicting apps, or outdated apps that don't play well. If the phone lags directly after a factory reset with no additional apps installed, then I would say the phone is bad, possible bad SD, or OS is flaky and needs a reflash. Most people update without clearing the cache partition in recovery too. My Note 4 is running with absolutely no issues. My brother's Note 4 on LP is running with no issues either.
    09-22-2015 06:08 PM
    I also have no lag on my Note 4 but one thing is for sure if Samsung doesn't come to their senses my next one is not going to be from Samsung. But I absolutely love this phone, it's a productivity beast. Maybe TW is causing all the lag? try to disable animations, wipe cache and davlik maybe that helps.

The pure is a great phone especially at this price point the only thing it's lacking is a removable battery and physical buttons.

If I had to choose a non note now I'd be between the G4, Moto Pure and Sony's Z5 Premium
    09-22-2015 08:34 PM
    I came from an iPhone world, note 4 is my first note and my first Android phone. I like stylus although there still is a lot to be desired. After the iPhone 5s the phone lags sometime even at some basic stuff such as opening the phone app, or the messaging app, the camera is also slow to open and getting on my nerves. In the iOS basic functions are polished and fast. However flexibility provided by Android, widgets, customizations and s pen make iPhone feel like a stone age phone to a certain extent. I hate lags though.
    09-22-2015 11:25 PM
    The Note 4 is probably the best phone I've ever owned. I love my Note 4 running FireKat N4 Deodex. Ran into major lag issues running stock Lollipop, so I decided to go custom rom and never looked back. Awesome battery life, quick as lighting, no bloatware, customization to the max. The only thing I don't like is the faulty GPS. I'm still looking for a permanent fix. So if anyone knows of one, please do share. Thanks in advance!
    09-23-2015 07:27 PM
    delete please.
    09-23-2015 07:31 PM
    Based upon the comments that are typically posted about performance and stability I often feel as though the potential impacts of the changes required to stock android to give us the feature sets that we desire is lost on people.

Step back and think about it for a minute . . . if 3rd party application developers have to use standard development platforms to develop the applications and then those applications are run on devices that deviate from standard, should one expect there to be the potential for things to operate differently than on a standard device (say a Nexus or a "pure edition" device?).

We all love the differentiating feature sets of devices from the various manufacturers, but to fall back and compare things against the likes of iPhones is a bit unfair when we're standing here demanding unique feature sets from our devices but consistent performance/stability from applications developed for a specific "standardized" platform.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    09-23-2015 08:55 PM
    Almost a year with my Note 4 and I must say, I have been very happy, no problems so far. There used to be a delay when pressing the Recent Apps/Task Switcher, button, but 5.1.1 update sorted that out, the phone just runs wonderfully now.

Sent from my GALAXY Note 4 via Tapatalk
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    09-25-2015 12:11 PM
    I can attest to that. If you are with TMobile, ask specifically for the free 5.1.1 replacement.
    I am east coast USA, with Tmobile, and I have 5.01, I hit the update and it tells me I have the latest updates. Mind you, no problems, but if more performance is there, I want it!
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    09-25-2015 04:21 PM
50 12