God, when will 5.1.1 be release for my Note 4 on AT&T? There already talking about Marshmallow for pete sakes.....
    malekalhra likes this.
    09-11-2015 10:31 AM
    Well, Samsung engineers must lovingly harvest only the best electrons and lovingly hand-craft them into an OTA that brings as few bug fixes as possible into TouchWiz while introducing as many new ones as possible. Thankfully, that part has been done.

Then, that goes to AT&T, who rips it apart, takes out all possible bug fixes, and introduces a few dozen megabytes of bloatware with accompanying bugs because you just know you have to have it.

Then it's made as large as possible in order to make sure the update servers are overloaded, and they force it to all the phones whose owners do not want it . Then, and only then, "check for updates" will respond with anything other than "I am unaware of that two-week-old update you really want, software up to date, dammit!"

I think Verizon is in the same boat. Such is the way of the carrier-branded TouchWiz. So has it been and so shall it always be. Thankfully, AT&T at least shoved a Stagefright update out the door quickly.
    Porkchopexpress1969 and KJ78 like this.
    09-11-2015 10:48 AM
    Verizon here, still waiting as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    09-11-2015 12:29 PM
    I wish Samsung could be like Apple and release their own updates leaving the carrier out.
    09-11-2015 03:58 PM
    Agreed NateHoy. But I wonder if this makes people shy from Android. Takes so long for updates. And you see all these articles on this and that is better and its coming..... and you don't see it for a year. Sort of depressing...
    09-11-2015 04:24 PM
    Agreed NateHoy. But I wonder if this makes people shy from Android. Takes so long for updates. And you see all these articles on this and that is better and its coming..... and you don't see it for a year. Sort of depressing...
    It might. Android is highly inconsistent. That's both an advantage and a disadvantage.

The disadvantage is, obviously, other people get updates before you do. Manufacturers and carriers abandon phones rather quickly, as well. And developers have to be going nuts developing for all these various platforms, all slightly non-standard.

The advantage is closely related to the disadvantage. Manufacturers have the freedom to develop variants of Android to suit their sales model, be it "kitchen sink" builds with craptons of features like TouchWiz down to stripped-down vanilla builds with stuff missing for the $50 "Cheapy McCheeperson's Super Duper Tablet" so it can all fit in the 1GB of ROM they can afford to include for 50 clams. So we have truly disposable tablets for under $100 that make great dedicated e-book and email devices, and top-shelf devices with S-Pen for nearly ten times that.

Most companies that build the device and the OS build one or two devices in each class, at most, and offer it in your choice of memory sizes and sometimes color. If you don't like what they offer, tough nookies.

Sammy is actually pretty bad about getting Android versions up to the latest, but really good about getting features out to people often before Android has them.

That's why I gave Sammy and AT&T credit for at least shoving a StageFright fix out the door in a huge hurry. It was important, even though the vulnerability is badly overblown in the press, and they fixed it fast.
    09-11-2015 04:47 PM
    I wonder what excuse there is for unlocked editions not getting the update aswell?

I'd rather have delayed firmware updates than use iOS ever. I think if people push for that, you'll end up losing all the features that makes Android unique and end up with an OS similar to iOS that restricts you.
    09-11-2015 05:04 PM
    I wish Samsung could be like Apple and release their own updates leaving the carrier out.
    I think you'll see this model start becoming more popular once the carriers stop subsidizing handsets.
    09-11-2015 05:19 PM
    Screw Lollipop! I vote for unlocked bootloaders!
    09-11-2015 07:41 PM