CPU Temp too hot?

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
A couple of months ago I started noticing that my Note 4 would get hotter than normal. After downloading CPUTemp app I found my phone routinely hitting temperatures of over 70 degrees celsius (over 160 degrees Fahrenheit.) In fact, almost every time I restart my phone I will get an alert that it's hit 160 degrees. Is this a normal temperature for the CPU? If not, will Samsung replace my phone if it's still under warranty?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked to see which apps are using the most battery? Could be a perpetual connection setting in an app. When my phone is running hot that's usually the reason, though not always. Another thing to check is your extSD card if you use one. Do you use wireless charging? Could be your receiver or charging back or your charger or a combination. Last resort is a factory reset (which you've done), but don't let Play reinstall your app automatically. Then install them one-by-one to isolate the issue.

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Syncing might be a problem.
Google syncing, Syncing is a battery killer. Also an overheated bug.
Go to settings.
Accounts.
Google
Click on Gmail
Uncheck syncs you don't need. My friend had same probs. He is back to normal now. Syncing lots of apps, emails etc does over her the battery, amongst other things. It's just a thought.
Good luck.

Posted via the Android Central App

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't seem like any apps are taking up alot of the battery, the Screen and Android OS are almost always the top battery percentages. I don't have any syncs on for Google either. I do have an SD card in it, what should I check for?

So is the general consensus that 170 degrees is too hot? Way too hot or slightly above normal?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
170 F is way to hot..
I agree with above replies, it sounds like an app issue since you stay it started a few months ago. But if the phone has been getting that hot why wait a few months? Its normal for it to get warm after a restart because your opening all the apps back up and syncing is starting from scratch for all the background apps. But again, shouldnt get "that" hot.
Unless you also have a case on it.
The other thing is how accurate is the app your using? CPU temp can get super hot but i tend to go with battery temp as that is more of a critical temperature. The CPUs are designed to get really hot then throttle back when it gets dangerously hot.
But the battery is what can get damaged by heat.
I dont see how you could hold the phone if it was 170F (phone not CPU).
IF the phone is to hot to touch / hold then theres a problem, if its warm your fine. Also if its only when booting up, eh maybe its fine.

Larry_F

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I do have an SD card in it, what should I check for?
Have you tried unmounting (under Settings->Storage) and then removing the SD card to see if the CPU still heats up without the card? It could be that your SD card is going bad and causing the overheating.

Larry

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
170 F is way to hot..
I agree with above replies, it sounds like an app issue since you stay it started a few months ago. But if the phone has been getting that hot why wait a few months? Its normal for it to get warm after a restart because your opening all the apps back up and syncing is starting from scratch for all the background apps. But again, shouldnt get "that" hot.
Unless you also have a case on it.
The other thing is how accurate is the app your using? CPU temp can get super hot but i tend to go with battery temp as that is more of a critical temperature. The CPUs are designed to get really hot then throttle back when it gets dangerously hot.
But the battery is what can get damaged by heat.
I dont see how you could hold the phone if it was 170F (phone not CPU).
IF the phone is to hot to touch / hold then theres a problem, if its warm your fine. Also if its only when booting up, eh maybe its fine.

I do have a case, and it's only gotten too hot to hold maybe once or twice (the 170 degrees Farenheit is CPU temp only.) At first this all started happening after the update to Lollipop, so I blamed it on that. Then even after the 5.1.1 update it persisted and I started to wonder if it was just my phone or not. Plus I've been out of the country for the past 3 weeks, so now that I'm back I've been thinking about taking it in to a Samsung kiosk or my carrier. But I'd like to avoid the hassle of transferring everything to a new phone etc.

I just unmounted and removed my SD card and will test out the phone.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I do have an SD card in it, what should I check for?
Old card issues, etc. Remove it and use a different one or none at all to see if you still have the issue. Easy thing to check. When I had issues, it was a bad cell in my battery and it toasted the extSD. If you're using an older SD card it may not be playing nice. Do you have pics only or apps, too? Is it full? I'm not sure how those things would affect the battery, but they're things to consider.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I had heat problems. I first noticed when playing Goat Simulator. I got a new Sd card and it seemed fine until listening to stitcher and it went up to 150—170F

So I don't know what is going on. Battery use says the usual, screen, os.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
A couple of months ago I started noticing that my Note 4 would get hotter than normal. After downloading CPUTemp app I found my phone routinely hitting temperatures of over 70 degrees celsius (over 160 degrees Fahrenheit.) In fact, almost every time I restart my phone I will get an alert that it's hit 160 degrees. Is this a normal temperature for the CPU? If not, will Samsung replace my phone if it's still under warranty?

Mine use to get really hot too. I had Samsung send me a replacement battery. Mine first got super hot, too hot to hold in my heavy duty case, when downloading lollipop. Then again a few times I kept noticing really hot. I even took the battery out when I downloaded Lollipop and couldn't hold in my hand. It happened more recently when downloading about 12-14 apps. So they replaced the battery and now not as hot as it use to get.

I've been having problems in the last month and a half with dropped calls randomly and no reason that I can see why. At&t had me replace my sim card, then the last time I had to factory reset the phone last weekend. A Major pita! I did it and so far so good, otherwise my next step is a Warranty Replacement phone, which I don't really want. One tech rep said I could have a bad sim reader. It could have been from my phone getting hot. I know after the factory reset a couple of times my phone froze, which shouldn't happen after a factory reset. It froze a few times in the Calengoo app and a couple times in the camera app. Sucks, because my phone has been working fine until just recently. I know my phone, so don't really want a warranty replacement. Just hope it's fixed now. Another dropped call or freezing of the screen, I'm asking for a replacement. Need a phone that works and doesn't drop the calls. Never had any before on AT&T, don't see why now.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Taking out the SD card didn't seem to change anything. I also bought the Samsung external charger thing which came with a new OEM battery, so I have two batteries one of which is 'brand new' so I don't think the batteries are the problem either. I'll download those other apps to see if I get the same temp readings but it's looking like I might have to get a replacement and hope I don't get the same issues :/

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
When you did a factory reset in the past how long did you let the phone settle in before installing extra software onto it? Did you allow automatic backup/restore option to install software on its own?

Important considerations when it comes to evaluating if a factory reset is effective or not . . for troubleshooting any issue really . . . if an application is at fault and it automatically gets reinstalled when Google credentials are put in during initial setup of the device due to selecting automatic backup feature then the issue may come right back on the fresh device.

If on the other hand you run through initial setup and use the phone only for basic email and browsing without installing anything and the issue is still there then yeah maybe something else is wrong. Sometimes users just don't realize that automatic restore can be an issue.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I eventually sent my phone to Samsung for repair under warranty, which they handled better and quicker than I expected. When I got it back it said they repaired/replaced the LCD screen because it had blank/malfunctioning sectors and it looked like I had a new casing for my phone (there was even cellophane protector over the camera like when you get the phone new.)

Unfortunately after having it back a week it still seems like my phone is getting too hot, CPU Temp alerts me around 5 times a day to tell me my CPU is reaching anywhere from 158 to 176 degrees Farenheit. I'm not sure what to do at this point besides Rooting, and I don't want to lose the pressure sensitivity for my S Pen :/

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually haven't had any problems ever since I downloaded the latest software update! No more overheating alerts except whenever I just reset my phone or switch batteries. The only problem is my battery life has seemed to have taken a very small dip since the update (which is weird because at first it actually increased after the update)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34