It started two days ago. On its own, Auto-brightness turns itself on. I can turn it back off, but honestly it's getting a bit old. I've had to do it four or five times today alone. Today, for the very first time, my Note 3 also started turning on Auto-brightness. This is completely weird and unwanted. There are no changes that my Note 4 and my Note 3 have in common other than this issue. Very strange.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    09-18-2015 09:56 PM
    Could this be due to some kind of power-saving mode, or a user profile feature?
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-18-2015 11:00 PM
    I always have auto-brightness on. It's more convenient for me. Strange that it's going on by itself though... especially on two phones! Any new apps on both phones? Gotta be something in common.
    09-18-2015 11:01 PM
    Could this be due to some kind of power-saving mode, or a user profile feature?
    No changes to either device in common other than rebooting and clearing the caches. One rooted, one not. Even the clearing the caches through recovery were both done today so that's not in common since one started having issues two days ago and one started today. The Note 3 wasn't even powered on until today. It feels like some sort of silent update was pushed to both Notes but the software versions are still the same.
    09-18-2015 11:10 PM
    Any new apps on both phones?
    Sure. I tend to keep my software the same on both. Beyond me why an app would force auto brightness, but I'll do some troubleshooting there. I'm going on the assumption it's a Sprint thing or a Samsung thing, but it's worth looking elsewhere. I did notice some Google Play anomalies common to both devices. Apps showing as installed that weren't, apps that wouldn't install at all and gave an error message, apps actually missing from the Play store. It was so bizarre that I called Google about it and they are very interested. I'm letting the dust settle overnight on the Google issues. It just feels like something was done to both devices without my knowledge even though I'm very careful and don't play games with random app installs. Everything I installed was safe and commonly used.
    09-18-2015 11:17 PM
    Sure. I tend to keep my software the same on both. Beyond me why an app would force auto brightness, but I'll do some troubleshooting there. I'm going on the assumption it's a Sprint thing or a Samsung thing, but it's worth looking elsewhere. I did notice some Google Play anomalies common to both devices. Apps showing as installed that weren't, apps that wouldn't install at all and gave an error message, apps actually missing from the Play store. It was so bizarre that I called Google about it and they are very interested. I'm letting the dust settle overnight on the Google issues. It just feels like something was done to both devices without my knowledge even though I'm very careful and don't play games with random app installs. Everything I installed was safe and commonly used.
    Yah, I was just trying to find something in common.

A rather long side story... prepare yourself!

A few days ago, I was going to start a thread here about the Misc Files in Storage. I did an experiment by deleting/clearing everything in Misc files... just to see what would happen to my phone. What I found out was that the information I read about these files being "cache" files may not be all true. I normally back up everything to my PC, but what I don't normally back up is my S Notes and Action memos because they're so transient. When I cleared the Misc files, all my S Notes and Action memos disappeared. Everything gone! Luckily, nothing important was lost, but it surprised me that I actually lost data! If the Misc files were only cache files, this shouldn't have happened. I'm speculating that the data wasn't actually gone, but the "hooks" to call them up were deleted so they appeared gone... which is just as bad! LOL! Deleting the Misc files didn't touch my gallery, videos, music, ringtones, calendar events, alarms, or anything else, but I was surprised to see my S Notes data gone!

Besides the above, what I noticed is that my phone acted differently after I deleted the Misc files. It acted like it had to re-learn stuff. Re-learn display times, moving between screens... basically it looked like it had to rebuild an "operational cache" file. At least it seemed that way. I can only liken it to the cache.db file in Windows.

Before deleting the Misc files, one aspect of my phone operation was confusing me. Whenever I hit the Apps button to launch the App Drawer, there was a slight animation as the apps appeared. This animation wasn't there before, or at least I couldn't remember it being there, until after I tried to help someone here with a lag problem with animations in Developer options. I had been messing with the animation timing settings during my helping this person. So basically, the animation delay occurred after that time, even though all animations in Dev options on my phone are set to off.

After I cleared the Misc files, and my phone "re-learned" what it had to do per my settings, (speculation!), the App drawer animation/delay disappeared and now the apps open instantaneously... as it used to! There is no more animation delay!

There seems to be more to clearing cache than we think. The normal cache clearing in Settings, and clearing the cache partition in recovery, may only be clearing useless app cache and installation cache... but not necessarily the phone operational cache. This makes sense to me in light of what I saw with my App drawer. The Misc files, while they do appear to hold app information, may need to be cleared to clear "operational" cache. This again is just speculation, but what I experienced with my App drawer and the phone sort of re-learning things, brings me to this conclusion.

Sorry for the long read, but the point is that perhaps some kind of setting is messed up in your Misc files and you might be able to clear that. Clearing the Misc files may actually bring your phone back to when you first got it, as far as what it needs to do, to run per your settings. I would highly advise you back up ALL your data. While nothing on my phone got lost except my S Notes stuff, I wouldn't take that chance again without a full backup... including my S Note stuff!

I don't know if it'll help, especially if some app that's currently installed is causing it, or something with an update from Google or Sammy. In any case, I wanted to pass this on to you. If you feel bold, or just want to mess around, you can clear the Misc files and see what happens! YMMV!!!!
    09-19-2015 12:45 AM
    Sorry to hear you lost your note files! Did you get them back? I hope so. I back all my Snotes and ActionNotes to dropbox just in case I do something extremely unwise. I do likewise with my critical info for the same reason. I love to play with settings and have shot myself in the foot on more than one occasion because of it. That's another reason I like rooting. More backup options.

Whatever was causing the turning on of auto brightness, it has stopped. I didn't occur any more after I posted here. That was all I really cared about, though I was curious if it was a personal anomaly or more widespread. I'm starting to think that the root of it was the Amazon app store. It keeps showing apps as installed that do not exist anywhere that I can find on my Notes, and I've spent serious time searching all the possible locations. Color this one eligible for the twilight zone. The Google app issues I mentioned also remain. Very bizarre IMO.
    09-19-2015 02:12 PM
    Sorry to hear you lost your note files! Did you get them back? I hope so. I back all my Snotes and ActionNotes to dropbox just in case I do something extremely unwise. I do likewise with my critical info for the same reason. I love to play with settings and have shot myself in the foot on more than one occasion because of it. That's another reason I like rooting. More backup options.

Whatever was causing the turning on of auto brightness, it has stopped. I didn't occur any more after I posted here. That was all I really cared about, though I was curious if it was a personal anomaly or more widespread. I'm starting to think that the root of it was the Amazon app store. It keeps showing apps as installed that do not exist anywhere that I can find on my Notes, and I've spent serious time searching all the possible locations. Color this one eligible for the twilight zone. The Google app issues I mentioned also remain. Very bizarre IMO.
    Nah, I didn't lose anything important... just some old stuff that had already been addressed. I was just surprised because clearing the Misc files ended up in losing data. No big loss, but something to keep in mind for me. After seeing what I saw, other things popped into my head about what's actually contained in the Misc files. With people experiencing so called "lag", I wonder if they cleared these files, the phone can return to a lag-less state. I don't have lag, so I can't even test. Maybe one day!

Well, I'm glad that at least your brightness issue disappeared... for now! LOL! The Google and Amazon issue, I have no ideas! Good luck with that!
    09-19-2015 07:00 PM