After the android 5.1.1 upgrade of my Galaxy Note 4 some google contacts doesn't show up in phone contacts app. This concerns most of contacts but not all of them. I checked that these contacts are present online in the Google contacts. Anniversaries are also present in the calendar. Also, I selected all the google contacts categories to be shown in the phone contacts app. It was working fine before the update to 5.1.1.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-20-2015 03:35 PM
    Have you gone to settings-accounts-google, and made sure the syncing of contacts is checked and working properly? Sometimes they get stuck.

I'm also a big fan of a partition cache clear from recovery mode following a system update. Seems to help with a range of little annoyances.
    09-20-2015 03:47 PM
    Have you gone to settings-accounts-google, and made sure the syncing of contacts is checked and working properly? Sometimes they get stuck.

I'm also a big fan of a partition cache clear from recovery mode following a system update. Seems to help with a range of little annoyances.
    Yes I tried that and checked that all Google contacts categories are selected.

What about partition cache clear. How to do that?

Thanks

09-21-2015 02:31 AM
    Partition cache clear procedure is unique to your phone model. I just googled it for the note 4 - turn off the power and then follow these steps. It does not take long and it does not delete your data.

Press Power, Volume Up and Home simultaneously
    Wait until the phone vibrates and then release Power and Home
    You should now see the recovery screen. Use the volume buttons to move and select Wipe Cache Partition.
    Press the Power button to confirm.
    Select Reboot System Now and again, hit Power to confirm.
    Wait until your Note 4 reboots and hope it’s fixed the problem.
    09-21-2015 03:15 PM
    Thank you for the clarification.

But the proble is still here 😕

09-21-2015 03:25 PM
    My best guess is that the phone is placing some contacts in the internal phone memory rather than in Google Contacts. Samsung devices sometimes do that with both contacts and calendars, and I've seen complaints that they do it even after you think you've changed the default settings.
    09-21-2015 03:31 PM
    The contacts are saved in Google contacts and not all of them are shown in the contacts app. I selected all the Google contacts groups to be shown. The phone indicates that the sync is working correctly. It s weird.

09-23-2015 04:42 AM
    One more thought - go to the desktop version of google contacts. It might have to do with the groups it's placed them in - maybe some have been mis classified in a group.
    09-23-2015 02:19 PM
    Same problem on my Note 4 after the upgrade. My wife's contact does not show up on my phone. If I look in contacts/groups, it shows (3) in my favorites, but when I open that group it only shows 2, with my wife's contact missing. It's the same for all groups she is in. I love my wife very much, so that's not the problem, though maybe Freud is in my phone..

Tried all the steps above including cache clear and nothing. Even tried other steps and nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    10-14-2015 01:33 PM
    I had the same issue after upgrading from note4 to note5. Some contacts did not display in my contacts list even though they show in google contacts. They would show up if I searched for them in the contacts app but would not be listed by default. Turns out that even though they appear to be in the "My contacts" group, they actually arent. The box for this group is checked but when you view the contact, it doesnt show the group that they are in. If you add the contact to another group, then remove them again and save, then the contact gets correctly added to the my contacts group and they then show in the contacts list as expected. There definitely is a bug in here somewhere, but im not sure where.
    hope this helps someone.
    11-30-2015 09:22 PM
    Try going into app info and clear cache and data. Then reboot the phone. If it still happens do it again and also clear Google contact sync...

Posted via the Materialistic Android Central App
    12-01-2015 03:22 AM
    I had the same issue after upgrading from note4 to note5. Some contacts did not display in my contacts list even though they show in google contacts. They would show up if I searched for them in the contacts app but would not be listed by default. Turns out that even though they appear to be in the "My contacts" group, they actually arent. The box for this group is checked but when you view the contact, it doesnt show the group that they are in. If you add the contact to another group, then remove them again and save, then the contact gets correctly added to the my contacts group and they then show in the contacts list as expected. There definitely is a bug in here somewhere, but im not sure where.
    hope this helps someone.
    It is not working. It doesn't seem to be related to 'My contacts' category.

12-05-2015 08:14 AM
    I used Contacts Sync Fix on my Note 4 and it worked.
    03-09-2016 11:41 AM
    After the android 5.1.1 upgrade of my Galaxy Note 4 some google contacts doesn't show up in phone contacts app. This concerns most of contacts but not all of them. I checked that these contacts are present online in the Google contacts. Anniversaries are also present in the calendar. Also, I selected all the google contacts categories to be shown in the phone contacts app. It was working fine before the update to 5.1.1.

I just do this to fix this problem:
    - Search for the entry in Contacts
    - Add the entry to another group, save
    - The entry appears in Contacts
    - Edit the entry to remove it from the other group

Works for me every time.
    06-22-2016 04:44 PM
    I have been struggling with this same problem for days. I decided to try the "Contact sync fix" above, and searched for "Contact". TWO contact apps came up. "Contacts" and "Smart Contacts". I disabled "Smart Contacts" and now the problem is gone.

I guess "Smart Contacts" aren't so smart! LOL
    07-25-2016 12:48 PM
    My friend Jesse who I haven't talked to I awhile texted me the other day and I know he's in my contacts but it came up as "unknown" I found his contact under "jesse" but also found about 200 contacts labeled "unknown" with phone numbers with different emails all mixed up.
    07-28-2016 11:24 AM
    I had same problem. Did the search, found missing contact. At the bottom was option to 'Add to my contacts'. Did that and it worked. But how weird. You create a contact, save it, then have to add it.
    10-06-2016 01:35 PM
    I have the same problem and have been having this problem since I bought my phone. Some people will call me and it comes up blank. I'm not sure if it has to do with using Outlook/Office 365 for some of my contacts. It's very annoying.
    10-18-2016 12:47 PM
    This worked, just Click Add to My Contacts in Google Contacts. It solved the problem for me.

Thank you!
    11-08-2016 09:21 AM