Note 4 photos over exposed and blury

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It only over exposes videos not videos
Do you mean it "overexposes photos not videos"?

The photos you show are what's called "difficult lighting". The problem is there is a bright light (window) in the scene. Cameras will try to average the exposure of the entire scene, while giving preference to the area of focus . In the photo, the center of the picture is the right edge of the pillow. The camera is trying to expose the pillow correctly, but in order to do that, it will overexpose the window. This is normal. When I look at these kinds of photo, I don't see anything unexpected. To avoid something like this, try not to shoot where the back-lighting is strong. Anytime there is bright back-lighting, and you focus on something in the area outside of the light, the background may look overexposed.

You might be asking why the video didn't overexpose the window. The reason is because the "scene", while it looks similar, is not the same. The focus point in both screenshots are not the same. This is why it's called "difficult lighting". Cameras don't have the dynamic range of our eyes, so while to our eyes everything looks balanced, cameras can't capture the scene that way. Just small changes in focus point can change the overall outcome of the photo or video. Its just the way photography works, unfortunately.

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This is s screenshot of the photo, when you move the camera even flightly it gets super blury.
http://i.imgur.com/pRIKytN.jpg
This is a screenshot of a video, it isnt blury.
http://i.imgur.com/x7mQn8n.jpg

That's a low light indoor situation. You shouldn't compare those two images, since the exposure's completely different . . . meaning . . shutter speed and aperture are clearly different. The video screen shot shows the scene is underexposed (darker) which likely means the shutter speed was faster. A faster shutter speed will reduce motion blur which is basically what's contributing to the blur you're observing on the still photo which is much better exposed due to a slower shutter speed.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't see anything unexpected in these photos. They're low light indoor shots so naturally, if you move, they'll become blurry. Where's the overexposure you're referring to? Where's the "super bright" parts in the photo? Are these shot with the front facing camera? Can you upload a full resolution photo either here or on imgur or some other place like that that will show the problems you're seeing. These screen shots aren't cutting it.

EDIT... By the way, what camera app are you using?

Last edited:

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree, in that I think its just a low-light affect, with these phones. However, won't hurt to ask this question....did you remove the clear protective screen is placed on come lenses, but certain carriers? Just an idea.

LuluSupreme

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I agree, in that I think its just a low-light affect, with these phones. However, won't hurt to ask this question....did you remove the clear protective screen is placed on come lenses, but certain carriers? Just an idea.
I realize its just a low light effect, I was just wondering if there was a mod to fix it (my friends older samsung and my other friends iphone dont have low light problems like this, they just raise the iso)

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I realize its just a low light effect, I was just wondering if there was a mod to fix it (my friends older samsung and my other friends iphone dont have low light problems like this, they just raise the iso)

Go into the camera menu settings. Change the ISO from the "Auto" mode it comes in. This is there by default and Auto ISO will include an automatic night mode, it makes the pic look a lot brighter than the room really is. What also happens is that on ISO Auto, the shutter stays open a bit longer, letting far more light in, but at the cause of blurry pics. Ideal for a tripod, but not hand held.

I usually find that ISO 400 is pretty close to the lighting conditions in the room, but you can choose ISO 800 if you want the pics brighter. Trust me, this will help, just play around with the settings so it best matches the way the low light condition actually looks light.

For the front facing camera, we don't have an option to mess with the ISO. Not much you can do there besides lowering the exposure.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You can also change the the light meter setting from the default of center to spot and the focus on the main object in your composition

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke