I have a brand new Galaxy Note that i bought this week. I have done a hard reset. I installed GSAM.
    It shows my media is using 40% of the battery. I havent used the media this morning to listen to music or watch video. My battery dropped from 100% to 88% in 15 minutes on a full charge. I have already read the sticky. I am using Greenify.

Any advice or help?

Im new to all of this .....

Thank you in advance
    09-26-2015 08:43 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Are you using an SD card? If so, try unmounting it to see if that helps.
    09-26-2015 08:52 AM
    yes, I have an SD card...what is unmounting and how do you do that?
    09-26-2015 12:02 PM
    yes, I have an SD card...what is unmounting and how do you do that?
    It is removing it from the phone. It can be done in settings>storage or turning off the device, and removing it.
    09-27-2015 11:04 PM
    I find these battery saving apps are battery hogs, doing more damage than good. Delete greenify.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-28-2015 01:15 PM
    I find these battery saving apps are battery hogs, doing more damage than good. Delete greenify.

Greenify doesn't need to be deleted. It is not a typical battery saving app. It is an app that actually "freezes" app you select and stops them from running in the background. Completely different animal from the battery saving apps that actually use up your battery.
    09-28-2015 01:32 PM

Sort of agree with PublicImageLtd, halfheartedly at least . . without root greenify's basically worthless IMO and even then not extremely effective unless one has xposed framework's greenify module activated. In the end it takes a bit of work to make it worth it and most aren't going to know how or want to put in the effort to do it. Even GSAM is limited in its ability to show good data without root. It's helpful I guess to see some battery stats but if memory serves it's not very useful on stock lollipop devices that don't have root.

As far as your issue with media that's where you should be focusing. It's possible the media server scan of your SD card is getting stuck on a corrupted file or bad part of your SD card. Unmount it, remove it, restart the device and let it sit for a few hours unused. See if media service calms down. If so then try backing up your data on the card and reformatting it.
    09-28-2015 01:34 PM
    Sort of agree with PublicImageLtd, halfheartedly at least . . without root greenify's basically worthless IMO and even then not extremely effective unless one has xposed framework's greenify module activated. In the end it takes a bit of work to make it worth it and most aren't going to know how or want to put in the effort to do it. Even GSAM is limited in its ability to show good data without root. It's helpful I guess to see some battery stats but if memory serves it's not very useful on stock lollipop devices that don't have root.

As far as your issue with media that's where you should be focusing. It's possible the media server scan of your SD card is getting stuck on a corrupted file or bad part of your SD card. Unmount it, remove it, restart the device and let it sit for a few hours unused. See if media service calms down. If so then try backing up your data on the card and reformatting it.
    Actually it isn't worthless. I use it without root, on my Note 4. I could get 8-10 SOT and 18 hours between charges. I could also have my phone on standby for numerous days, and the things like my weather alerts and other important notifications, always came through.

I've also used it on my Note 5 at first, now using ShutApp and Doze.

I charge every other day and get a good 7-8 hours SOT.

Neither phone is rooted and I had nothing else activated, I have the free version.
    muzzy996 likes this.
    09-28-2015 01:44 PM
    Actually it isn't worthless. I use it without root, on my Note 4. I could get 8-10 SOT and 18 hours between charges. I could also have my phone on standby for numerous days, and the things like my weather alerts and other important notifications, always came through.

I've also used it on my Note 5 at first, now using ShutApp and Doze.

I charge every other day and get a good 7-8 hours SOT.

Neither phone is rooted and I had nothing else activated, I have the free version.
    That's good to hear.

I don't use unrooted devices so I'm not really sure how effective some of these tools are without it. In general I have had good luck with Greenify too but some services will push back on auto hibernation like Facebook if there's other apps that call upon it. Having the advanced root/xposed functionality of greenify enabled nips that kind of thing in the bud. I'm not sure what app would wake up FB though . . the advanced settings aren't something I needed on my Note Pro 12.2 but I sure did need it on my Note 4.

For me the reason I like Greenify isn't for battery savings, its for performance. Controlling what loads/caches in the background such that background processes and cached processes are limited to just the apps/services that I use most increases performance of the device. There's nothing worse than having RAM filled up after clean boot with apps and services that a user doesn't need.
    09-28-2015 02:53 PM
    That's good to hear.

I don't use unrooted devices so I'm not really sure how effective some of these tools are without it. In general I have had good luck with Greenify too but some services will push back on auto hibernation like Facebook if there's other apps that call upon it. Having the advanced root/xposed functionality of greenify enabled nips that kind of thing in the bud. I'm not sure what app would wake up FB though . . the advanced settings aren't something I needed on my Note Pro 12.2 but I sure did need it on my Note 4.

For me the reason I like Greenify isn't for battery savings, its for performance. Controlling what loads/caches in the background such that background processes and cached processes are limited to just the apps/services that I use most increases performance of the device. There's nothing worse than having RAM filled up after clean boot with apps and services that a user doesn't need.
    Maybe it is messenger doing that to Facebook. I never used messenger and that never happened on my Note 4 with Facebook. When my Note 4 would go to sleep, it would go into a coma.
    09-28-2015 02:56 PM
    I use an app called DOZE. For non-rooted phones, it let's you choose which apps to shut off background data when screen is off. Been using for a few days now, down 15% in four hours normal use (doing what I normally do) as opposed to at least 35-40% by now before installing this app. Works for me, very happy with it, hope this helps someone.

09-28-2015 03:06 PM
    Thank you for your suggestions. I have removed my SD card and installed doze. I've been on 55min and I'm at 86% after a full charge. Anything else you can suggest or is this the best I can get? And I have done a hard reset too.
    09-29-2015 05:55 AM