Too late to buy a Note 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

driftwork

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello Folks,

I've been running a Samsung Galaxy S3 for several years and its time to upgrade.

I need:

A larger phone (compared with the S3)
Something faster
Better Camera
SD Card Slot
Remove-able battery

I can upgrade with phones available from my carrier provider.
I live in Taiwan and Note 4's are starting to be removed from availability.

I've checked out the Note 5 and I simply cannot reconcile the lack of SD card and no removable battery.

* The only possible reason I could accept no SD card and non-removable battery would be if the new Nexus 5 (due out in the next few days) had a camera that was comparable to the Note 4. It seems to me that pure-stock-Android evens out the lack of SD and removable battery.

I really need to conclude this purchase in the next week.

Do you folks think its too late to get a Note 4?

Is it too 'long in the tooth' to last the next couple of years given the way smart phone technology is going?

Thanks in advance

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I updated to the Note 4 from the S3 last November. Best choice I ever made, and still is! NO note 5 for me! I want the SD card and removable battery, period! You won't regret it.

Posted via Android Central App

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Go for it.
I rate the Note 4 is still the best allround Android around.

It has a more powerful GPU than the LG G4, has a CPU that runs cooler than the 810 phones, has one of the best Cameras in 2015, has a strong metal frame, has MicroSD slot, great battery life with larger and replaceable battery unlike the new Samsungs, and you can get the Note5s screen off Memo feature now in the 4.

Lets not forget the quirky features like IR Blaster. :)

With the Android 5.1.1 update the Note 4 is also running just as fast as the Note5 and S6 Edge+ and will get Android 6.0 :D

The Note 4 despite 3GB RAM, is also less aggressive than the 4GB RAM Note5 at killing apps that are running.

Overall, still one of the best if not the best.

Sent from my GALAXY Note 4 via Tapatalk

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I suggest note edge. It's best of both Spen and edge. Once you use this, you can't go back to regular note. I hope Samsung releases a phone with this combination next year.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I suggest note edge. It's best of both Spen and edge. Once you use this, you can't go back to regular note. I hope Samsung releases a phone with this combination next year.

The problem with the Note Edge is the smaller battery (3000mAh vs. 3220mAh in Note 4), also if you are a lefty the Note Edge can be cumbersome as its Edge is very curved and goes further than the newer ones.

If the Note Edge had kept the 3220mAh battery and was easier to handle than it currently is I would have said hands down go for it.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I am 5.7" and pretty comfortable with handling note edge. Edge on this make launching apps, looking at info (stocks, news etc) much faster and easier (Even we can configure multitasking panel on the edge instead of hitting the capacitive button on left). People around me always wow'ed with its functionality (and no more multiple home screens). May be 220mah will not make world of difference from note and hope that difference will close in with 6.0, but I still get pretty decent battery life. Agree with you that it is more comfortable to right handers though.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I am 5.7" and pretty comfortable with handling note edge. Edge on this make launching apps, looking at info (stocks, news etc) much faster and easier (Even we can configure multitasking panel on the edge instead of hitting the capacitive button on left). People around me always wow'ed with its functionality (and no more multiple home screens). May be 220mah will not make world of difference from note and hope that difference will close in with 6.0, but I still get pretty decent battery life. Agree with you that it is more comfortable to right handers though.

Your opinion outweighs mine as I only handled the Note Edge briefly, whereas you've owned it for a while, so maybe one does get used it.

Either way, both fantastic devices. Note Edge may one day be a collector's item as its far more unique than the Note 4, so thats something to also consider. :)

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello Folks,

I've been running a Samsung Galaxy S3 for several years and its time to upgrade.

I need:

A larger phone (compared with the S3)
Something faster
Better Camera
SD Card Slot
Remove-able battery

I can upgrade with phones available from my carrier provider.
I live in Taiwan and Note 4's are starting to be removed from availability.

I've checked out the Note 5 and I simply cannot reconcile the lack of SD card and no removable battery.

* The only possible reason I could accept no SD card and non-removable battery would be if the new Nexus 5 (due out in the next few days) had a camera that was comparable to the Note 4. It seems to me that pure-stock-Android evens out the lack of SD and removable battery.

I really need to conclude this purchase in the next week.

Do you folks think its too late to get a Note 4?

Is it too 'long in the tooth' to last the next couple of years given the way smart phone technology is going?

Thanks in advance

The Note 4 is in no way outdated. It's still a great phone. The Snapdragon 805 is still a powerhouse and the camera and screen can still compete with almost any other phone on the market. You won't regret the Note 4. Even the Note 3 is still a good phone (The Snapdragon 800 is still a decent processor).

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
The Note 5 is Not a flop. Fastest phone on the market. ( Slaughters note 4 in benchmarks)
Best phone i have ever owned.
don't need slow SD card, never, ever, ever, ever saw a single person have a spare battery ON them when they needed it.
quick charge gives HOURS of battery life [Removed by Moderator].
Side sync. cloud > slow SD.

Soooooo many people are missing out on the Best Note Ever because of old school thinking. just like people who complain about computers not having CD drives.

i wouldn't buy a note 4 unless its half the price it was at release. resale value is already down to $250- $300 on craigslist etc

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The Note 5 is Not a flop. Fastest phone on the market. ( Slaughters note 4 in benchmarks)
Best phone i have ever owned.
don't need slow SD card, never, ever, ever, ever saw a single person have a spare battery ON them when they needed it.
quick charge gives HOURS of battery life [Removed by Moderator].
Side sync. cloud > slow SD.

Soooooo many people are missing out on the Best Note Ever because of old school thinking. just like people who complain about computers not having CD drives.

i wouldn't buy a note 4 unless its half the price it was at release. resale value is already down to $250- $300 on craigslist etc

May be your are right. But isn't the speed more related to software optimization rather hardware?. If it is the case 6.0 should make note 4 as good as note 5 if not better.

Last edited by a moderator:

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Kick rocks bro... I had a note 5 for 2 weeks and sent it back. And yes... I carry a spare battery. I've had one for every single one of my note phones.

Why don't you carry external battery instead? Why bother with all case removals, phone restarts each time tou need juice?

Yes I have Note4. But really not because it has removable battery.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke