Voice typing card stuck on every screen

Dirk Fitzgerald

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 4 (AT&T) and use Google Keyboard rather than the Samsung keyboard. I use Voice Typing quite a bit, but the last week or so, the Tap to Speak card that pops up when I hit the microphone button won't disappear. It stays on every screen. The actual voice typing icon on it is unresponsive as well as the x to close button. The option button works but the card remains. I have switched the input method to the samsung keyboard and back but it won't vanish. It vanishes when i rotate to landscape view but reappears when rotated back to portrait. Using the keyboard is impossible with it there, but if i hit the microphone button again, it raises a second card over the stuck one. The stuck one remains. Only restarting the phone will make it go away. Any ideas?

brodrick

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Same issue on my Verizon version of Note 4. It seemed to show up soon after the Android System WebView update, but I can't be sure.
The only solution for me so far is to reboot as well.
It sticks if I leave Voice dialing open while the screen goes to sleep. If I turn if off prior to that, it closes fine.

PS: I uninstalled the Android System Webview, and it still does it.
I'm using Nova Launcher.

Last edited:

amreg

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, so I assume there was an upgrade that happened on the back end that introduced a glitch. I did find a way to remove it without rebooting, so thought I'd share (I have a Galaxy S4)

1. Click on the settings icon on frozen screen (for me, this still works). It will activate the settings page for Google Voice Typing (GVT)

2 Hard click (hold/press) on center menu button--this will show all open applications, with GVT screen open on top.

3. Slide or X out to close that app, and the frozen screen will disappear with it!

Hope this helps others until a permanent solution is found.

Veridical Angel

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, so I assume there was an upgrade that happened on the back end that introduced a glitch. I did find a way to remove it without rebooting, so thought I'd share (I have a Galaxy S4)

1. Click on the settings icon on frozen screen (for me, this still works). It will activate the settings page for Google Voice Typing (GVT)

2 Hard click (hold/press) on center menu button--this will show all open applications, with GVT screen open on top.

3. Slide or X out to close that app, and the frozen screen will disappear with it!

I have no center menu option on gs5

Scottathew

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site

THANK YOU AMREG! I'm having the same exact issue with my non-rooted\stock Galaxy 5 Verizon phone. It happens to me about once a day. Before your trick rebooting was my only option.

adamrayburn

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Same issue, 2 week old Galaxy S6 Edge PLUS. Issue started after last update, I believe it was the 5.1.1 - haven't looked it up yet. It is intermittent, and I can usually clear it by pressing the power button to put the phone on standby and then waking it back up. I use voice typing ALL the time - really needs a fix.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Goto:

Apps or Application Manager in Settings. Scroll over to "All'. Find Google "Google App". Uninstall Updates....then close out all process running in background. Make sure you have Auto Update, in Google Play Store set to never. This is just a temp fix until Google can fix this in another update.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
GOTO PLAY STORE>GOTO MY APPS>THEN SETTINGS>CHOOSE DO NOT AUTO UPDATE APPS

THEN

GOTO>SETTINGS>APPLICATION/APPLICATION MANAGER>SCROLL TO "ALL">FIND GOOGLE APP>UNINSTALL UPDATES.

THEN

TURN PHONE OFF
GET INTO RECOVERY (see video below)
CLEAR CACHE PARTITION
REBOOT

Note: This is a temporary fix, until Google can fix the error that's causing this.

Should be good to go after that!

Good Luck

Ohdihsshr Jifouerue

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Not a bug, but you have to go deep into settings to enable Google Voice typing. Go to Settings > Language & Input > Default keyboard, click more settings and enable Google Voice typing.

It works. I tried it on Honor 7 and Lenovo K3 Note

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair