01-05-2016 01:40 PM
188 ... 45678
tools
    After trying to get the update to download onto my Note 4 for 4 days, this tip really helped.
    10-14-2015 06:26 AM
    To echo others in here: I tried to update my Note 4 OTA about 6 times and it failed every time. However, I deleted enough miscellaneous junk to free 12.2GB and it worked the first try after that.
    crusader666 likes this.
    10-14-2015 09:16 AM
    Uninstalling any launchers and antivirus worked for me. I have been trying to update for days. Thanks for the tips.
    crusader666 likes this.
    10-14-2015 03:09 PM
    Hi. Do you see the new features with the upgrade? I read that we should have animations, changes in the notification area, leds, sounds, etc. I don't have anything new.
    I have the same issue i dont see anything different
    10-14-2015 03:12 PM
    To echo others in here: I tried to update my Note 4 OTA about 6 times and it failed every time. However, I deleted enough miscellaneous junk to free 12.2GB and it worked the first try after that.
    I did the exact same thing by deleting needless apps until I had 12.3GB of free space. Upgrade worked flawlessly. Before freeing up space, the upgrade failed around 1% during install.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-15-2015 08:21 PM
    Finger print lock works much better now with 5.1.1, try it, you'll never go back to password. .

10-15-2015 09:55 PM
    Finger print lock works much better now with 5.1.1, try it, you'll never go back to password. .

It works WAY better however, as much as I want to continue using it, I can't because I have to re-encrypt my device and SD card and I can't use fingerprint for that.
    10-15-2015 10:31 PM
    I kept trying to update to 5.1.1 and the update kept failing. This happe ed like 5 or 6 times. I saw another poster mention that he had to have 12GB of free space on his phone. I had roughly 6gb free. So I freed up the 12GB and what do you know it worked! Now my phone is fast and snappy. Even the flipboard side page (swipe all the way left) loads up quicker than it ever has and the apps open really fast. My phone is faster than it was originally. It is nice to have such a snappy fast phone again

10-16-2015 12:09 AM

Agreed. I love it!
    lawmom90 likes this.
    10-16-2015 12:06 PM
    BTW, Does anybody have a list of changes with 5.1.1?

So, far, I noticed Smart Device is NOT included on AT&T 's version. Bummer..

10-16-2015 12:31 PM
    Yes I did

10-17-2015 12:19 AM
    That happened to me too. About 6 times.
    crusader666 likes this.
    10-17-2015 10:42 AM
    Same issue here trying OTA, Kies 3.0, Smart Switch, three days chatting online with Samsung from their website AND via DM on Twitter, yet no one said two words about the launcher (I use Solo). Samsung keeps telling me "Go to Best Buy," blah blah blah. Going to switch to TouchWiz and hope that's the problem. Funny thing is I have had no problems with previous updates using the non-stock launcher to date.
    10-17-2015 03:46 PM
    Ok, so after getting my battery low enough yesterday, my phone went from getting low battery warning at 12% to 4% in a minute then dead 30 seconds later. Tonight, my phone gave low battery warning at 10%. 30 seconds later it gave me the second low battery warning and dropped me to 2%. I plugged in before it died and am going to charge up and post back tomorrow. I almost had 4 hrs of SOT. I just wiped the cache so hopefully that will fix everything.

The only other issue I encountered was trying to make phone calls, by clicking over a number on a webpage. The number would load up in my dialer, but when I pressed call the number would disappear and load the last number I called.

10-18-2015 12:19 AM
    It works WAY better however, as much as I want to continue using it, I can't because I have to re-encrypt my device and SD card and I can't use fingerprint for that.
    My phone is encrypted (SD too) and I've been using fingerprint since the Lollipop Update 5.0.1

Is it because you can't for another reason or you just think it doesn't work? On KitKat you couldn't use FP w/ encryption, but you've been able to do it on Lollipop since day one.
    10-18-2015 08:29 AM
    My phone is encrypted (SD too) and I've been using fingerprint since the Lollipop Update 5.0.1

Is it because you can't for another reason or you just think it doesn't work? On KitKat you couldn't use FP w/ encryption, but you've been able to do it on Lollipop since day one.
    Let me rephrase, I believe I can use fingerprint for unlock on my encrypted device but I choose not to because biometrics or even face recognition as a method of unlocking are not protected by the 5th amendment and you can be legally ordered to unlock your device if asked to do so. PIN, password, and pattern are 5th amendment protected methods of securing your device.

Not that I use my phone for any illegal activity or anything. Call me paranoid.

**Edit** You cannot use fingerprint as your encryption unlock method, at least on my device. You can however use fingerprint as the screen unlock AFTER the device is unencrypted at boot using the encryption password. This is what I'm seeing on mine, yours may be different, I don't know.
    10-18-2015 09:48 AM
    Spent three days with Samsung online via chat and Twitter and they kept trying to talk me into going to Best Buy, but all they do is reset phone to factory standards (which I am trying to avoid) and it's simple to do that at home (back up all your data first, obviously). On my TENTH attempt to do the OTA update after uninstalling third-party home launcher AND deleting my cache so that I have 17GB available, and praying to the Cell Phone Gods.
    10-18-2015 11:52 AM
    For those having issues with updating to 5.1.1 OTA, it literally took me 4 days and 10 attempts, not to mention DOZENS of Chats, Tweets and Emails with Samsung (which, by the way, resulted in NOTHING gained)! The answer for this issue (for me at least) was contained in the related posts in this forum.

It was one or both of the following steps that finally allowed me to have a successful update: 1) I uninstalled ALL third-party home launcher apps; 2) I deleted my cache and unnecessary files that were taking up a lot of space. This is what some others in this forum (not Samsung) suggested, and it worked for me like a charm (although my phone is now very hot).

Pretty much all Samsung will tell customers is download KIES, download Smart Switch, none of which will do diddly. They will also advise taking the battery out of the phone while it is on, leaving phone off for several minutes, blah blah blah; also no results for me.

They will also say start up the phone in Safe Mode, also makes no difference, at least for me. When all that fails, they will tell you to go to their Samsung kiosk at WorstBuy, which is nonsense!

I realize not everyone will have the same issue, but it is very apparent there IS an issue and I told Samsung that NONE of their information paid off and wasted hours and days of my time!

From now on, when I need assistance for my Note 4, I am going straight to Android Central for the real scoop (do not pass GO)!

Thank you everyone who posted here!
    10-18-2015 01:25 PM
    If you're expecting different appearance, you're in bad luck. This update only helps us by improving the sluggishness from 5.0.1 and ram management.

I believe now we can even mute our handsets from the lock screen. Could not have done that with 5.0.1.

10-18-2015 01:41 PM
    I believe now we can even mute our handsets from the lock screen. Could not have done that with 5.0.1.

How do you accomplish this? I'm curious as I don't see it on my device. Maybe I'm overlooking something. That would come in handy, at least for myself.
    10-18-2015 01:43 PM
    How do you accomplish this? I'm curious as I don't see it on my device. Maybe I'm overlooking something. That would come in handy, at least for myself.
    Ok, so with Kit Kat you had the three options there when you held down the power button.
    Now, with Lollipop, you hold down the power button still, but you have to use the volume down button to go to vibrate and even mute with 5.1.1 now.

10-18-2015 03:12 PM
    Oh OK. Seems just as easy to unlock then use volume rocker to silence/mute.
    10-18-2015 03:42 PM
    BEST BUY!!! ??? screw best buy. I went there. The guy said he has software to install the update that I can't download on my own and he will do the update. Great. He loads the software from his laptop. Then starts the download of the install. The piece of crap best buy store has a really slow wifi and and after an hour we are about 30% through the upgrade. My wife and I go out to lunch and come back. it's at 60%. I complain to the manager and he goes looking for a something and comes back empty handed.

I am being cheap and don't want to burn through my data plan but realize that this costing us a Sunday so I get my wife's iphone, turn it into a hotspot and stop the upgrade download, connect to the iphone's hot stop and then start it back up and complete the download in 10 minutes. The Note 4 goes through the installation of software phase and then reboots and I am happy. Head out of the store and then before getting in the car I check the version on the phone. 5.0.1..... what the fruck?

Go back into the store and the guy that was first there helping out is gone to lunch. The next samsung guy says that maybe the rollout for 5.1.1 is not ready for that phone. He checks something on his laptop and says Yes, there is no 5.1.1 for my AT&T Note 4. I have SM-N910A. Is that possible?

I went to best buy today because twice over the last week the phone wanted to do an update which I assume was the 5.1.1, It failed when it started to get the update. I did not initiate the update so I assume that AT&T was initiating it because they have the update ready. During the last week I've tried clearing cache both with the startup method and through settings. I have 7G free.

Now I have no idea what is going on but a confirmed distrust of Best Buy and Samsung. The Samsung guys blame Best Buy for the slow wifi speed and they asked me to give their manager some grief because they are tired of dealing with the slow speed too.

Ugghh. All I was trying to do is get my Note4 to go a little faster. It really seems like it has been getting laggy lately. I like Android but maybe I should go with a clean non Samsung experience. Or go back to Apple.
    10-18-2015 06:00 PM
    BEST BUY!!! ??? screw best buy. I went there. The guy said he has software to install the update that I can't download on my own and he will do the update. Great. He loads the software from his laptop. Then starts the download of the install. The piece of crap best buy store has a really slow wifi and and after an hour we are about 30% through the upgrade. My wife and I go out to lunch and come back. it's at 60%. I complain to the manager and he goes looking for a something and comes back empty handed.

I am being cheap and don't want to burn through my data plan but realize that this costing us a Sunday so I get my wife's iphone, turn it into a hotspot and stop the upgrade download, connect to the iphone's hot stop and then start it back up and complete the download in 10 minutes. The Note 4 goes through the installation of software phase and then reboots and I am happy. Head out of the store and then before getting in the car I check the version on the phone. 5.0.1..... what the fruck?

Go back into the store and the guy that was first there helping out is gone to lunch. The next samsung guy says that maybe the rollout for 5.1.1 is not ready for that phone. He checks something on his laptop and says Yes, there is no 5.1.1 for my AT&T Note 4. I have SM-N910A. Is that possible?

I went to best buy today because twice over the last week the phone wanted to do an update which I assume was the 5.1.1, It failed when it started to get the update. I did not initiate the update so I assume that AT&T was initiating it because they have the update ready. During the last week I've tried clearing cache both with the startup method and through settings. I have 7G free.

Now I have no idea what is going on but a confirmed distrust of Best Buy and Samsung. The Samsung guys blame Best Buy for the slow wifi speed and they asked me to give their manager some grief because they are tired of dealing with the slow speed too.

Ugghh. All I was trying to do is get my Note4 to go a little faster. It really seems like it has been getting laggy lately. I like Android but maybe I should go with a clean non Samsung experience. Or go back to Apple.
    I am going to Best Buy to (hopefully) get updated to 5.1.1 this week then this thing is going on swappa once my 6P arrives!

Posted via my Note 4 on Cricket
    10-18-2015 06:33 PM
    Oh OK. Seems just as easy to unlock then use volume rocker to silence/mute.
    That's why I loved the way it was done with Kit Kat, can't understand why they messed with it.

10-18-2015 07:39 PM
188 ... 45678