Galaxy Note 4 5.1.1 ATT

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine keeps failing on install too

Posted via the Android Central App

In the past, when this happened to me, it was because I had a rooted phone, that I had un-rooted. I had to flash the OEM software through Odin then update to the current software.

If you've never been rooted, I would recommend doing a factory reset, then trying the update again....or take your phone to Samsung Bar, like a Best Buy and see if they can flash the 5.1.1 update.

JDMDATL

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
As I always tell my devices, "The human always wins."

I downloaded the OTA update image twice and it failed at 1% during the install, exactly as others describe.

My phone was stock 5.0.1, never rooted.

Yes, during update I on Wi-Fi, phone placed close to router, phone plugged into charger, microwave oven not on, rabbit's foot next to phone. None of that was the cause of the failure.

I had about 9 GB of free system RAM - should be plenty, right? Not according to some forum posters and according to the installation notes from AT&T. Oh wait. There are never any notes from AT&T. Right.

Read posts on several forums about how to fix it and came up with a couple of things on my own. I was willing to do anything but a factory reset - too much rebuilding since I can't use Titanium Backup. So what did I do? I did them all. And it worked.

And. It. Worked.
Here's what I did. Can't tell you which steps were relevant/irrelevant but none of them were a big deal to do/undo. Who cares? If you really must know the answer to this there are some wonderful medications these days to help you with your OCD. Take them.

1. Removed my work email, which needs administrator privileges - my employer requires that I encrypt the device and the SD card
2. I de-encrypted the device (Settings> General tab > Security)
3. I removed a couple of my biggest apps (Waze, Evernote (I keep a lot of notes synced on the device) and a couple of others.
4. My photos and videos are all on the external card so I did not need to remove those - they're all backed up to Google Photos anyway. If yours are in the internal storage, move them to somewhere else.
5. Took the SD card out of the phone.
6. Cleared the cache in Settings> General tab> Storage
7. Cleared the cache individually for Download Manager under Application Manager (the General tab> Storage method does not actually clear all caches, FYI.)
8. Verified that I now had a little over 12 GB of free system RAM out of the total 32 GB.
9. Stopped all background apps using the app switcher.
10. Switched the date/time to manual and set the date to three days from today to trick the update checker.
11. Rebooted the phone in recovery mode so that I could clear the cache partition.
12. Rebooted the phone again from the recovery menu.
13. Burned some sage (Whole Foods), did a couple of Druid incantations (I could only find ones about preventing crop failure - close enough) and I swung the phone around my head exactly 19 times (counter-clockwise, of course.)

The OTA update worked perfectly. Success. 5.1.1 is mine.

1. I put the SD card back in.
2. Put the date/time setting back on automatic.
3. Re-encrypted the device.
4. Restored my work email Exchange account.
5. Reinstalled Waze, Evernote, and the couple of other apps that I had removed.

Was all of that necessary? Probably not. Very likely not. But the update worked, I have 5.1.1 and now my house smells delicious from the sage.

As I periodically remind all of the various machines in my house, "The human always wins." They know this, they understand this, and they know about the e-recycling bin that awaits them otherwise.

The UI is MUCH more responsive - far snappier than one would expect from clearing out memory and rebuilding database indexes alone). App switching is quick. So far (so far) I'm not getting those annoying-as-sh1t delayed home screen refreshes on the Google Now launcher.

Battery life seems to be unaffected. I use only Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compliant chargers (including my car charger) and I carry two hot spare batteries and an external charger when I'm on the road. The Note 6 better have a swappable battery or I'll be a former Samsung customer.

Last edited:

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
OK, just a little update on my journey. I downloaded and had a failed 5.1.1 install twice. In the process of download/install failure, somehow my practically full 128GB SD card would not mount and it would just be stuck on "checking SD card for errors". I tried everything in my power to correct this issue with nothing but failure. "Mount SD card" is grayed-out in the settings menu and when I remove and reinstall the card, it just goes back to the same "checking" notification. Doesn't even give me an option to format card. I have everything backed-up so no issues there.

After I go to bed, I happen to look over at my phone because the screen was on and low and behold, it was downloading the update for a third time by itself. I decided to stay awake to watch it and an hour later, it was done and ready for install so, I clicked "install". It finally installed 5.1.1 after the third time however, I still do not have a working SD card. The card will work in my computer and I can see and open any of the files on it. Just won't do anything in the phone.

This is where I am currently.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
After typing my last post, I installed the SD card for the first time after finally getting 5.1.1 on the phone and it is now recognised.

I already have enough gray hair, this whole episode just doubled that.

Everything seems kosher now but I'll update if things go south again.

macolliejr

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Is any one else getting persistent glitches about twice per day where you try and unlock your phone (unlock in the home screen sense, not unlock the carrier restrictions) and it give a "System UI not responding" message then blacks out on you and glitches back to normal a few seconds later? Mine has been doing that since the update and never did it before.

Also to be fair I'm talking about on the Note Edge and not the Note 4 but...the Not Edge is basically yalls Note 4's weirdo brother so figured they're basically the same thing. Thanks

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: As I always tell my devices, "The human always wins."

I downloaded the OTA update image twice and it failed at 1% during the install, exactly as others describe.

My phone was stock 5.0.1, never rooted.

Yes, during update I on Wi-Fi, phone placed close to router, phone plugged into charger, microwave oven not on, rabbit's foot next to phone. None of that was the cause of the failure.

I had about 9 GB of free system RAM - should be plenty, right? Not according to some forum posters and according to the installation notes from AT&T. Oh wait. There are never any notes from AT&T. Right.

Read posts on several forums about how to fix it and came up with a couple of things on my own. I was willing to do anything but a factory reset - too much rebuilding since I can't use Titanium Backup. So what did I do? I did them all. And it worked.

And. It. Worked.
Here's what I did. Can't tell you which steps were relevant/irrelevant but none of them were a big deal to do/undo. Who cares? If you really must know the answer to this there are some wonderful medications these days to help you with your OCD. Take them.

1. Removed my work email, which needs administrator privileges - my employer requires that I encrypt the device and the SD card
2. I de-encrypted the device (Settings> General tab > Security)
3. I removed a couple of my biggest apps (Waze, Evernote (I keep a lot of notes synced on the device) and a couple of others.
4. My photos and videos are all on the external card so I did not need to remove those - they're all backed up to Google Photos anyway. If yours are in the internal storage, move them to somewhere else.
5. Took the SD card out of the phone.
6. Cleared the cache in Settings> General tab> Storage
7. Cleared the cache individually for Download Manager under Application Manager (the General tab> Storage method does not actually clear all caches, FYI.)
8. Verified that I now had a little over 12 GB of free system RAM out of the total 32 GB.
9. Stopped all background apps using the app switcher.
10. Switched the date/time to manual and set the date to three days from today to trick the update checker.
11. Rebooted the phone in recovery mode so that I could clear the cache partition.
12. Rebooted the phone again from the recovery menu.
13. Burned some sage (Whole Foods), did a couple of Druid incantations (I could only find ones about preventing crop failure - close enough) and I swung the phone around my head exactly 19 times (counter-clockwise, of course.)

The OTA update worked perfectly. Success. 5.1.1 is mine.

1. I put the SD card back in.
2. Put the date/time setting back on automatic.
3. Re-encrypted the device.
4. Restored my work email Exchange account.
5. Reinstalled Waze, Evernote, and the couple of other apps that I had removed.

Was all of that necessary? Probably not. Very likely not. But the update worked, I have 5.1.1 and now my house smells delicious from the sage.

As I periodically remind all of the various machines in my house, "The human always wins." They know this, they understand this, and they know about the e-recycling bin that awaits them otherwise.

The UI is MUCH more responsive - far snappier than one would expect from clearing out memory and rebuilding database indexes alone). App switching is quick. So far (so far) I'm not getting those annoying-as-sh1t delayed home screen refreshes on the Google Now launcher.

Battery life seems to be unaffected. I use only Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compliant chargers (including my car charger) and I carry two hot spare batteries and an external charger when I'm on the road. The Note 6 better have a swappable battery or I'll be a former Samsung customer.

This is a fantastic post, thank you!

Posted via my Note 4 on Cricket

akpmehta

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I tried installing 5.1.1 update three times and all the time it is failing with error after 2% and then showing results "Install interrupted, the software could not be installed." I tried "wiping cache" as well as "cache data" deletion, also I have 5.3 GB available storage on phone. Tried using manual push of software update from AT&T Android support, however still the same error. I don't want to do master reset.

Any other suggestions, before I visit AT&T Samsung support center.

GentleMuser

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Successful download and install. Cleared system cache. Already noticeable improvement!!
Horrible lagging issue much better! Can't tell if it's as good as it originally was on Kit Kat, but I'm damn happy it no longer is horrible, which it had been since Lollipop update.
Google Play services no longer dominating my battery use when WiFi enabled. I'd been having as much as a 30 minute delay receiving test messages with stock messaging app. So far it is current.
Camera app still very slow to open and operate.
Hopeful......

Last edited:

akpmehta

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
After receiving error for three times, I was able to install 5.1.1 update. I removed corporate securities, deleted app cache data and made 13 gb storage available to make this happen.

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the info!

No problem. Just one bit of advice. Do NOT install any memory optimizers, Greenify, or anything like those kinds of apps. They do the opposite of what they promise. They're performance killers. If your phone comes with Clean Master or Lookout, uninstall or disable them.

If your phone starts to slow down, just boot to recovery and clear the cache(s). 90% of issues come from the cache getting corrupted or cluttered with stuff even from apps you've uninstalled.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Yup, on 5.0.1, I couldn't get through 5 minutes of flipping through articles on the Flipboard app without it freezing on me due to the memory leak issues. Now on 5.1.1, I can flip all day long.

TonyBarrios

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I gotta say that after 5 attempts (and a 140-hour delay notice from the DM Server the 5.1.1 just doesn't want to complete the installation. I'll go to the Samsung Bar of my local Best Buy to know what the Hell is going on.

Kimo Clyde

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
You're not the only one. I tried TWICE and then a third time via a remote force update with the help of of an AT&T tech support person and STILL it gets "interrupted" when it tries to install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae