Galaxy Note 4 5.1.1 ATT

Sanjay Ramoutar

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
That's a nice sentiment, but there are some Lollipop features I'd like to use (SD card writing). And that's not counting the fact that there are security updates that might be nice to have. Plus, Marshmallow's permissions feature would be great, but if I can't update to Lollipop, what will happen when the Marshmallow update comes out? Will I still be stuck on 4.4.4?

I'm not sure about Marshmallow just yet, I'm still on 5.0.1., LoL. The things I really hate about the update was the phone started to lag a lot, especially with the recent apps. Also, I didn't like the fact that I could no longer mute my phone from the locked screen. Another feature that I missed so much from Kit Kat was the icons on the locked screen showing missed what's app messages etc. In that spot on the top left hand corner, my carrier is now displayed. Yes, you can have the full notifications show up on the locked screen, but I don't like that. I prefer everyone not see my private info. This is just my opinion though, you may actually like it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I had 13GB+ available when I got it to work.

A week later the update is working great for me. This is the phone I bought 8 months ago. My wife is happy that I am swearing at my phone much less often. If that hadn't improved she was going to make me get an iPhone.

I think the battery life has been marginally better.

I won't be upgrading to Marshmallow (when it comes out) until I know it has a good bit of time without major complaints.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So does anyone have any idea how to get a phone to "see" that there's an update at all? Mine is still stuck on 4.4.4. The phone says there are no updates available, and Kies also says 4.4.4 is the latest firmware. It's a standard AT&T Note4, although I'm using Cricket Wireless. It's great that Samsung is finally getting the Note 4 to 5.1.1, but it doesn't really help those of us who can't even see the update, let alone try to apply it.

I believe earlier in the thread someone else who used an AT&T Note 4 on a different Carrier, just brought it to Best Buy and they loaded the update for them there. Maybe try that. I'm considering trying Cricket to save some money or ST and I'm hesitant because of the slow speeds on Cricket. Other than that, AT&T has been good for me so far. Try Best Buy is all I can tell you or like someone else said, put a friend's AT&T Sim Card in and try to update, then put yours back in when done.

Sanjay Ramoutar

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I had 13GB+ available when I got it to work.

A week later the update is working great for me. This is the phone I bought 8 months ago. My wife is happy that I am swearing at my phone much less often. If that hadn't improved she was going to make me get an iPhone.

I think the battery life has been marginally better.

I won't be upgrading to Marshmallow (when it comes out) until I know it has a good bit of time without major complaints.

Ok, I'm glad to hear it's working out for you and that the swearing has decreased, LoL. I'll probably eventually give in, will see how it goes, but honestly, to me, the phone was just perfect on Kit Kat.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
BEST BUY!!! ??? screw best buy. I went there. The guy said he has software to install the update that I can't download on my own and he will do the update. Great. He loads the software from his laptop. Then starts the download of the install. The piece of crap best buy store has a really slow wifi and and after an hour we are about 30% through the upgrade. My wife and I go out to lunch and come back. it's at 60%. I complain to the manager and he goes looking for a something and comes back empty handed.

I am being cheap and don't want to burn through my data plan but realize that this costing us a Sunday so I get my wife's iphone, turn it into a hotspot and stop the upgrade download, connect to the iphone's hot stop and then start it back up and complete the download in 10 minutes. The Note 4 goes through the installation of software phase and then reboots and I am happy. Head out of the store and then before getting in the car I check the version on the phone. 5.0.1..... what the fruck?

Go back into the store and the guy that was first there helping out is gone to lunch. The next samsung guy says that maybe the rollout for 5.1.1 is not ready for that phone. He checks something on his laptop and says Yes, there is no 5.1.1 for my AT&T Note 4. I have SM-N910A. Is that possible?

I went to best buy today because twice over the last week the phone wanted to do an update which I assume was the 5.1.1, It failed when it started to get the update. I did not initiate the update so I assume that AT&T was initiating it because they have the update ready. During the last week I've tried clearing cache both with the startup method and through settings. I have 7G free.

Now I have no idea what is going on but a confirmed distrust of Best Buy and Samsung. The Samsung guys blame Best Buy for the slow wifi speed and they asked me to give their manager some grief because they are tired of dealing with the slow speed too.

Ugghh. All I was trying to do is get my Note4 to go a little faster. It really seems like it has been getting laggy lately. I like Android but maybe I should go with a clean non Samsung experience. Or go back to Apple.

It is AT&T, not Samsung or Best Buy.

AT&T hasn't given Samsung the update after they added the carrier changes to it.

mpasadena

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
For those who have been able to get 5.1.1 installed on AT&T Note 4 and are experiencing higher than usual battery drain, I would suggest 2 things that seems to have worked for me so far today. 1) Wipe Cache Partition from Recovery Booting menu. 2) Removing the "GasBuddy" app from the phone completely, there is some issue with the app keeping the bluetooth connection on all the time and not letting the phone go into deep sleep.

I was about to do a factory reset on the phone when i tried these 2 options and so far it seems to be working and not draining the battery as fast. In about 6 hours after charging it to a 100% the battery is down to about 83% which in comparison to a few days back is significantly better.

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I was in Best Buy tonight to have them up date my AT&T Note 4 (on Cricket) from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 and no luck. The gal hooked it up and it did an "update" however when all was said and done I was still on 5.0.1. GOD DAMN IT!!!!!

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody had an issue where you unlock the phone and it automatically opens up random apps? Mine is doing it randomly.

krauster

May 21, 2013
Visit site
that was my experience too. the best buy person did the update and I ended up with the same version. they said maybe it is not yet available yet for the phone, which doesn't make sense because I went to bb because the messages I was getting from the phone during the week before was that there was an update available. Not sure what happened.

Joseph Pethe

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Mine kept saying that there was an error installing after the download also. I had to do a factory reset, then the OTA update worked great.

Now that said, I am having some other issues. I have the fingerprint lock set, and the screen to lock immediately when the screen times out. Neither of which are working. When I wake up the phone all it asks is to slide on the screen instead of needing the fingerprint (meaning its not locked either)

Edited:
I cleared trusted Bluetooth gear and now working great.

Last edited:

Joseph Pethe

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My fingerprint lock was not working correctly after the update. I cleared all the trusted Bluetooth devices, and now it works great.

Last edited:

note4malaysian

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I've updated my phone to 5.1.1 os. Since then, i got problem with my phone. Always hang and autolock while i'm using it. When it hang, i restart it and everything go back to normal. The next day the same thing happen. Again n again.

note4malaysian

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I've updated my phone to OS 5.1.1. since then the phone got problem. It'll hang and autolock by itself when I'm using it. I've to force restart / switch off whenever the problem happened. This will happen at least once a day. Is there any way to solve the problem rather then sell off this phone?

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Got my Note 4 about 2 weeks ago, and it came with 5.1.1 installed. Very fast, with no problems. Just as a side note, i had trouble with Kies in the past(S2 & S3 phones), and i'll never use them again, for anything. :p

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Got my Note 4 about 2 weeks ago, and it came with 5.1.1 installed. Very fast, with no problems. Just as a side note, i had trouble with Kies in the past(S2 & S3 phones), and i'll never use them again, for anything. :p

Ditto to your sentiments about Kies. Got my 5.1.1 update OTA... Love it!