Note 4 keeps restarting

Ronald Rivera1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
My phone keeps restarting. I removed the SD card and still the same. Anyone else having issues? Luckily, I have a warranty still.

Posted via the Android Central App

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Restart your phone in safe mode if it doesn't do it anymore then it is more than likely an app that's causing the problem.

Diggin my Note 5 and Note 4.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem though it's with the Note Edge, N4's sister phone. Myself too having the restarts still, after doing all the suggested fixes. Thinking it was probably an App creating the system to reboot as well, I was just down in Mexico for 10 days and since primarily using data cellularly, (still grandfathered on VZ), was using Wi-Fi.
Noticed I had better battery usage (duh) and NO Reboots! WTH?! None of my apps nor system was changed. Interesting....
When I came back into the United States earlier this week, was greeted to the one reboot a day, as per the usual before I left. This has me considering that it is not a rogue app that's causing the system to reboot: methinks it is a mix of the system firmware, (5.0.1), Verizon bloatware and of course Samsungs!
Looking forward to 5.1.1 and maybe just maybe no reboots! Peace

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Back again... phone (note edge) keeps restarting at least once in 36hrs. I seem to have found one anomaly that I CAN duplicate: after toggling on BT to use headset while driving throughout the day, when back and settled in and toggling off BT to conserve battery, then tapping or using phone immediately the afore mentioned action, the phone reboots itself! WTH?! Last night I unpaired all trusted devices and repaired thinking that may clear the problem... nope. Grrrr! Any thoughts?

Ronald Rivera1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Ill try that. If it doesn't help, i have about 2 weeks left on my one year warranty.

So far no restarting on safe mode. It still lags a little when i hit the screen. This only started happening after the update months ago. Still have free warranty till the end of the month then the extended warranty kicks in. This is frustrating cause i love this phone.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine just started doing this also. Have also came across a couple separate instances in which if it hits 40some%, it will shut off then after rebooting, say the battery is dead and shut off, then after another reboot say the batters is 19% then shut off, never stays on for more than 5 seconds. Today, at 90some% I took it out to my car, wondered why my bluetooth wasn't on and saw the phone was off for some reason.

Looking forward to getting rid of this and never going back to a Sammy product.

I baby the hell out of this thing, keep it nice and clean, have factory reset it twice since getting it in March and it's just not working out. I've owned 3 Samsung phones and all act this way. My fiance's GS5 is the only one I've seen act snappy and normal.... but she's only had it for 4 months.

My point: It might not just be the apps, it's possibly the phone and probably is.

Ronald Rivera1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Mine just started doing this also. Have also came across a couple separate instances in which if it hits 40some%, it will shut off then after rebooting, say the battery is dead and shut off, then after another reboot say the batters is 19% then shut off, never stays on for more than 5 seconds. Today, at 90some% I took it out to my car, wondered why my bluetooth wasn't on and saw the phone was off for some reason.

Looking forward to getting rid of this and never going back to a Sammy product.

I baby the hell out of this thing, keep it nice and clean, have factory reset it twice since getting it in March and it's just not working out. I've owned 3 Samsung phones and all act this way. My fiance's GS5 is the only one I've seen act snappy and normal.... but she's only had it for 4 months.

My point: It might not just be the apps, it's possibly the phone and probably is.

I had a S3 and it would restart too. I bought the warranty so this one may end up "breaking " once the year is up. Just hate that i will have to pay a deductible.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a S3 and it would restart too. I bought the warranty so this one may end up "breaking " once the year is up. Just hate that i will have to pay a deductible.

I never bought insurance. I felt if I'm getting a premium phone, it should work w/o having to worry about these issues. I understand that bad hardware comes from time to time but my success to fail ratio is extremely lopsided. This was my first of the Note series b/c I do like some things a lot about Sammy but this phone gives me the same headaches as my Galaxies did so it's time to go to real phones like Nexus and Moto X since they work on Verizon. Timely updates and stock or almost stock Android. It's honestly the way to go. My OG Moto X was the best phone I've had except the camera was atrocious. It's still a couple steps behind Sammy now but it's world's better than what it used to be.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
My S4 started restarting after a system update. I did a complete factory reset and it cleared up the problem. Now I just budget time to do a reset after an update.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ronald Rivera1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I never bought insurance. I felt if I'm getting a premium phone, it should work w/o having to worry about these issues. I understand that bad hardware comes from time to time but my success to fail ratio is extremely lopsided. This was my first of the Note series b/c I do like some things a lot about Sammy but this phone gives me the same headaches as my Galaxies did so it's time to go to real phones like Nexus and Moto X since they work on Verizon. Timely updates and stock or almost stock Android. It's honestly the way to go. My OG Moto X was the best phone I've had except the camera was atrocious. It's still a couple steps behind Sammy now but it's world's better than what it used to be.

Yea, may have to switch to different brand phone. Two Samsungs and both broke. It just reset earlier but came up with a kernel panic upload mode errror. I had to remove the battery. Gonna try removing the ext sd card. Heard a bad one can cause problems.

ckkhoo

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem, factory reset or soft reset doesn't help. It turns out that the power button is faulty, it's shorted from time to time causing it to turn on by itself or keep rebooting itself indefinitely. Here's a link I found to troubleshoot if the power button is faulty. It's pretty detailed and definitely not for the amateur. If you are ready for the challenge go for it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_6fwzuIwA

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So just an update within all the reboot madness... I leave BT on always now and no more random reboots! Unbelievable as this sounds, it solved my situation!
For me, this IS a system/firmware problem with 5.0.1
Maybe your random reboots are system anomalies as well. Remember your phone behavior when the reboot happens... and see if there's any system atributes being used, then see if you can recreate the behavior. Hopefully you'll be able to stop it. Goods luck

yshishani

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
My Note Edge started restarting every couple of days, but it started to go in boot loop, it restarts only after 3 seconds of booting and keeps restarting, it goes into something like a boot loop, but when I connect the charger to it it boots normally and does not do the automatic restart anymore. Do you think it is a battery problem or power circuit problem may be?
The problem is there even when the battery is on 100% charge.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My Note Edge started restarting every couple of days, but it started to go in boot loop, it restarts only after 3 seconds of booting and keeps restarting, it goes into something like a boot loop, but when I connect the charger to it it boots normally and does not do the automatic restart anymore. Do you think it is a battery problem or power circuit problem may be?

If hooking it to a charger makes the problem go away, then it could be that you have a failing cell in your battery. That could easily cause the battery voltage to suddenly drop from "fully charged" to "battery nearly dead, shut down now". While it's more typical for this to happen after the battery is partly discharged (usually 50% or less), two bad cells in the same serial circuit could easily make this happen at 100% indicated voltage.

Intermittent cells usually fail when they are under load, then recover when there is no load. If you have one intermittent cell in a series, the remainder of the cells can usually make up the difference until they are discharged enough that they can no longer do the job. If you have two intermittent cells, the first cell fails, the second is asked to step up to the plate, the excessive load causes it to fail, and then that entire series is running on too few cells to maintain discharge and overall battery voltage drops to critical.

It may be a phone defect, of course, but a new battery is a cheap way to test the theory out.

samiMammy

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
hey man, I had the same issue, add to that, I couldn't reboot into safe mod, I kept trying and trying for days and one day, I left the [hone long enough, than I turned it on into recovery, and it finally responded and went into recovery, I wiped the cache and rebooted and it turned on fine.

I than went and checked all background running apps, apps that keep the phone alert, keeps it from sleeping, screen wake, cpu running.
thankfully in android 6.0 you get to play around with permissions, so I changed lots of the phone stressful permissions and I cleared all junk data by using an app of your choice, there are many apps that cleans your phone from junk and stuff. than I restarted my phone and did the same process again, now I discharged my phone for a full day, than I charged it and kept it off for several hours, than I turned on.

do this and it will make a difference, or a factory reset and a battery health test would also do the trick.

just make sure you keep your phone healthy at all times by checking every app and its permissions.

cheers

artsaves

May 3, 2016
Visit site

I had the same problem. I bought a new battery and everything works great now. It's been almost two weeks with no issues. Good Luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca