Note 4 keeps restarting

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing it every so often so I'm pretty much ready to do a factory wipe once Marshmallow is available.

Jeffry-note4

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note 4 keeps restarting - solved for now

Hi,
My note 4 was doing this like crazy ever since the upgrade to Marshmellow. I made a change 3 days ago and all of the reboot stopped. I turned off the network smart switch. My guess is everyone it tried to stabilize my connection and it had to switch modes, some required a reboot. It just did not tell me and did I it itself.

Hoping this is the real thing, cause I was thinking of switching away from it.

Jeff

My phone keeps restarting. I removed the SD card and still the same. Anyone else having issues? Luckily, I have a warranty still.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrwizardusa

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
My problem started out with an occasional random reboot every couple of days. I also had been noticing that my battery would no longer hold a charge for the whole day with normal usage. I would have to plug it in everyday about 5. Then one afternoon it just started continuously rebooting for about 5 minutes and then booted normally. I'm not exactly sure where the battery percentage was at, but I would guess it should have been somewhere about 60%. Everything seemed okay for a couple of days and then BAM! at about 60% it started continuously rebooting. Sometimes it would make it to the Version screen other times it would only get to the colored Samsung logo. After doing lots of reading, taking out the batter, holding the power button, removing SD card, removing SIM card and every other trick I could find, nothing worked. I found a couple of articles talking about the battery. I plugged in the phone and it showed 19%. So I let it charge to 80% and tried to power on again. Same results ... continuous reboots. NOTE: I was not able to boot into safe mode either, it just wouldn't boot that far. Finally I let it charge to 100%, left it plugged in and powered on. SUCCESS! Unplugged, powered off, inserted SIM card and SD card. Tried to power on and BAM! continuous reboots. Plugged back in and powered up fine. Phone is working while unplugged, but I'm not sure for how long. I'm ordering a new battery today and will update everyone with the results.

fguizar

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
My phone was restarting one or twice a day even if the battery still said it had 60% charge, tried everything on mine including a hard reset. Then it starting looping and would not get past the samsung screen... sent it to Samsung, they said it was the bluetooth and wanted to charge me $80. Fortunately, I forgot about and they ended up sending it back to me same as before. Even more fortunately, I had ordered a battery from Samsung which took forever to arrive. When it finally arrived, pop it in and sure enough all is well with the phone. I would have spent $80 for nothing. I think the analysis of batteries, cells, and leves up above is correct. If it starts turning off, get yourself a new battery. Forget all the rest.

reem nijem

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
My problem started out with an occasional random reboot every couple of days. I also had been noticing that my battery would no longer hold a charge for the whole day with normal usage. I would have to plug it in everyday about 5. Then one afternoon it just started continuously rebooting for about 5 minutes and then booted normally. I'm not exactly sure where the battery percentage was at, but I would guess it should have been somewhere about 60%. Everything seemed okay for a couple of days and then BAM! at about 60% it started continuously rebooting. Sometimes it would make it to the Version screen other times it would only get to the colored Samsung logo. After doing lots of reading, taking out the batter, holding the power button, removing SD card, removing SIM card and every other trick I could find, nothing worked. I found a couple of articles talking about the battery. I plugged in the phone and it showed 19%. So I let it charge to 80% and tried to power on again. Same results ... continuous reboots. NOTE: I was not able to boot into safe mode either, it just wouldn't boot that far. Finally I let it charge to 100%, left it plugged in and powered on. SUCCESS! Unplugged, powered off, inserted SIM card and SD card. Tried to power on and BAM! continuous reboots. Plugged back in and powered up fine. Phone is working while unplugged, but I'm not sure for how long. I'm ordering a new battery today and will update everyone with the results.

Did that work? I have the same problem with note edge

Jhawksnut

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem though it's with the Note Edge, N4's sister phone. Myself too having the restarts still, after doing all the suggested fixes. Thinking it was probably an App creating the system to reboot as well, I was just down in Mexico for 10 days and since primarily using data cellularly, (still grandfathered on VZ), was using Wi-Fi.
Noticed I had better battery usage (duh) and NO Reboots! WTH?! None of my apps nor system was changed. Interesting....
When I came back into the United States earlier this week, was greeted to the one reboot a day, as per the usual before I left. This has me considering that it is not a rogue app that's causing the system to reboot: methinks it is a mix of the system firmware, (5.0.1), Verizon bloatware and of course Samsungs!
Looking forward to 5.1.1 and maybe just maybe no reboots! Peace

Posted via the Android Central App
Same issue here but it will stay on when I'm plugged in. I have a charge on the battery according the phone which I can only see when it's plugged in.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here but it will stay on when I'm plugged in. I have a charge on the battery according the phone which I can only see when it's plugged in.

Sounds like you need a new battery.

Bascially, a failed cell on a Lithium battery will often read full voltage right up until a certain amount of load is placed on it, then the voltage will drop very rapidly (or suddenly) on that cell. Once cell dropping voltage will lower the voltage of the overall pack to "critically low" even if the rest of the cells are working fine.

So whenever you see things like "the phone works great until I start up (insert name of battery-using activity here) then the charge level drops suddenly and it shuts down" the problem is about very likely to be a dendrite or failed cell in the battery.

A "failed" cell may work fine under light loads, but turn the screen up to full, run the camera, or do something else that tends to pull a lot of juice, and BAM, the cell fails and the rest of the cells can't deliver the voltage the phone needs, so the phone does an immediate power down. Or the phone doesn't even have enough time toshut down, and when the battery comes under light load again it recovers and the phone tries to reboot.

Daniel Hayes1

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Remove all 3rd party apps and reinstall to see if a particular app is causing the problem it's what I did until I found the culprit.

Diggin my Note 5 and Note 4.

What app was the culprit? Could U please let me know if U remember the app's name. It may just help me out with this very [language redacted by Mod] frustrating problem [language redacted by Mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine will shut down by itself but I won't be able to turn it back on. Sometimes even if I do a soft reset it won't boot up.

Both instances require a battery pull to get it to turn on.

I have an Anker battery being delivered today from Amazon.

Mike Jahrig

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. Turned out that I had recently installed the Opera browser before the problem started. Removing the Opera browser fixed it for me.

cupideanso

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
This keeps happening to me!!! I hate this phone - cannot wait to get rid of it! This also happened to me after a system update. Did a factory reset & it still did it & erased half my ish! So tired of this crappy phone...I think it is a battery issue, but who cares all this money for these phones & then they also want a $200 deductible ridic! I will be bringing it in today & letting Sprint know how disappointed I am with the service...I pay $120/month & I still have to pay a large deductible??? I can order on eon Ebay for less...bull ish! I will also NEVER EVER not just pay for the phone upfront again _ ifeel chained with my contract & how much I am not supported when necessary :':)(

32Million

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Did that work? I have the same problem with note edge

Boot into safe mode, if you can, to see if your phone continues the problem while you are in it (safe mode). If it does not have the issue in safe mode it is more than likely one the apps that you installed in the play store. Delete them while in safe mode.

Robert Tarver

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Install WAKE LOCK - POWER MANAGER by Darken. It is available on the Google Play site. It will get your Note 4 back to functioning like it should. This issue is NOT caused by any of the following:

Apps
Battery
SD card
and will return after a hard or soft reset.

This is an OS UPDATE CONFLICT. The Note 4 is the last Note with a removable battery. Another solution is to have the battery charging cable disconnected. You will need to swap out batteries whenever necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton