01-21-2016 01:04 PM
50 12
tools
    My battery life is very good. Of course, to be frank, I'm not the power user that some of you are. I'm satisfied with everything about my Note 4.
    10-16-2015 11:02 AM
    The thing is it's not always about whether or not one's a power user. Sometimes (many times really) when threads like this pop up its because of some application or service having issues after the OS is updated. With everyone being different and having different applications there isn't a single best fit answer for everyone. Sometimes for example an app just doesn't update well during the OS update process and a factory reset fixes it since at that point all applications are installed clean.

Other times a factory reset doesn't fix things and people are left wondering why. I often wonder though if these people go right back to their same routine after a factory reset, putting back the same applications/data/media and expecting a different result. After all, one thing should be for certain - barring a hardware defect in a unit there should be no difference in performance between two units after a fresh install/factory reset if the entire device is wiped. What happens after that when users restore apps and data is what defines how a device's performance is going to vary from stock.

That's just the software side of things, there's also usage patterns (screen on times) and network strength as well as environmental variations (screen brightness, temperatures etc.)...
    10-16-2015 01:04 PM
    Yeah, I'm going to Best Buy soon to get 5.1.1
    The only reason I have to go there is because my Note 4 is unlocked and I'm using it on a different carrier than it was originally, so it can't get OTAs with my current SIM. If your Note 4 is from Cricket you should be able to update it yourself
    Mine is an unlocked AT&T version so I guess I will need to go to Best Buy as well.

Posted via my Note 4 on Cricket
    10-16-2015 02:10 PM
    Well, I will add, though this started happening several weeks ago--well before the 5.1.1 update, that once my battery gets at or below 20%, it's only a matter of seconds before it shuts down, which is really weird. I've had my Note 4 for close to two years. Is the battery just getting old and needs to be replaced?
    How have you had your Note 4 for almost two years when tomorrow is the 1 year date from when it was released?
    10-16-2015 02:58 PM
    Here I am, about 7 hours after unplugging my phone from the charger, and I'm at 48% battery with average use.

THIS SUCKS.

Also, my Facebook contacts used to sync with my device contacts, and now I can't get that to happen, either.

Why do these huge companies put out such inferior products? Why screw up something that was working great? Why release something without thorough testing? Makes me very, very angry....
    10-16-2015 03:28 PM
    Mine is an unlocked AT&T version so I guess I will need to go to Best Buy as well.

Posted via my Note 4 on Cricket
    Yeah. Needs a SIM from the carrier it was originally from since that's where it's checking for updates
    10-16-2015 03:53 PM
    @LegalAmerican : Time flies when you're having fun? Old age? Take your pick. My better half says that I scare her quite often with my loss of memory.
    10-16-2015 04:09 PM
    Just to add to the discussion: My battery life was good on 4.4.4, was better on 5.0.1, and now, even though it's only been a week, seems even better on 5.1.1. Everyone's mileage is different, that's just how mine has played out.
    10-17-2015 12:32 PM
    10-17-2015 02:28 PM
    Well, I will add, though this started happening several weeks ago--well before the 5.1.1 update, that once my battery gets at or below 20%, it's only a matter of seconds before it shuts down, which is really weird. I've had my Note 4 for close to two years. Is the battery just getting old and needs to be replaced?
    I was having the same kind of problem a few months ago. I bought a new battery from Amazon and the problem continued. It's a little better now and once I get to 15% my phone dies in as quick as 5 minutes. It does this with both the new and original battery, so in my case it doesn't seem to be a battery issue. It started on. 5.0.1 and continues on. 5.1.1.

Posted using the he Android Central App on my GALAXY Note 4
    10-17-2015 02:33 PM
    My original battery (had for just about a year) was doing that as well. 25 or so percent then straight down to 1% then dead. New original OEM battery works fine. You sure you didn't buy a counterfeit Note 4 battery. There's tons of them on eBay and Amazon and the average consumer cannot tell the difference between the two. Just asking.
    10-17-2015 03:42 PM
    I have the same problem !!! Even worse actually , whenever i get the 15% battery warning , i got around 1-2 minutes before the GN4 turns itself off , it's scary ! Sometimes the battery dies within 6-7 hours of a full charge ! HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE battery life after 5.1.1 update-screenshot_2015-10-11-21-59-50.jpg
    tonyr6 likes this.
    10-18-2015 08:08 AM
    FYI, my battery life had slowly deteriorated since the upgrade to 5.0, even though I factory wiped after that upgrade (though I didn't with subsequent minor upgrades). I hadn't been able to upgrade to 5.1, as I mentioned upthread, and I finally just factory wiped so the upgrade would take. I was able to upgrade after the factory wipe, and battery life is much, much improved. So definitely factory wipe if you have upgrade-related battery life issues.
    10-19-2015 07:32 AM
    There are two things that you should try disabling.

1. Samsung Push Services: This update just came out a day or so ago. I believe this drains your battery very fast. I also had an incident where I was down to about 10% battery life and it just shut off. Coincidentally it happened when this got installed/updated on my phone. You can go to your application manager and disable.

2. Caller ID (VZW): If you have this service and you don't know about it, this drains your battery like crazy. Once I disabled this I recognized a significant improvement on my battery life.
    10-19-2015 08:47 AM
    FYI, my battery life had slowly deteriorated since the upgrade to 5.0, even though I factory wiped after that upgrade (though I didn't with subsequent minor upgrades). I hadn't been able to upgrade to 5.1, as I mentioned upthread, and I finally just factory wiped so the upgrade would take. I was able to upgrade after the factory wipe, and battery life is much, much improved. So definitely factory wipe if you have upgrade-related battery life issues.
    I did. It didn't help.
    10-19-2015 09:40 AM
    What most people don't seem to get is that this is a sudden and drastic change, from what I've been seeing since I bought the phone. I use to go all day without charging (just charging over night), and now I'm having to charge after work (and I only work an 8 hour day). I am a "techy" guy, and I haven't installed anything new, or changed any of my habits.

I've been on my phone for about half an hour, and I'm already down to 90%. Android System and Kernel are just chewing through battery at a ridiculous rate. This is BS. Thanks for ruining my phone, Samsung. Idiots.
    10-19-2015 09:51 AM
    There are two things that you should try disabling.

1. Samsung Push Services: This update just came out a day or so ago. I believe this drains your battery very fast. I also had an incident where I was down to about 10% battery life and it just shut off. Coincidentally it happened when this got installed/updated on my phone. You can go to your application manager and disable.

2. Caller ID (VZW): If you have this service and you don't know about it, this drains your battery like crazy. Once I disabled this I recognized a significant improvement on my battery life.
    Samsung Push Service is using about 0.1%, definitely not the problem. I don't have the other thing.
    10-19-2015 09:52 AM
    Samsung Push Service is using about 0.1%, definitely not the problem. I don't have the other thing.
    One thing I'd recommend trying is using the app Package Disabler Pro. It will disable a ton of the pre-installed bloatware and background services. Improved my battery life quite a bit. Doesn't require root
    10-21-2015 11:02 PM
    One thing I'd recommend trying is using the app Package Disabler Pro. It will disable a ton of the pre-installed bloatware and background services. Improved my battery life quite a bit. Doesn't require root
    That's not the point. The point is that the "update" made my battery life MUCH, MUCH worse, with no other changes. It's crap, and I should have an option to roll back, but I don't.
    10-22-2015 11:00 AM
    That's not the point. The point is that the "update" made my battery life MUCH, MUCH worse, with no other changes. It's crap, and I should have an option to roll back, but I don't.
    Right. But if you can't do that, remedying it would be the next best thing
    10-23-2015 10:11 AM
    Update:

This is UTTER BS. It's been a couple weeks. Nothing has improved, the battery hasn't "settled in". I am seeing about 30-40% worse battery life than when I was on the last version of 5.0.1, with the exact same apps installed, habits, settings, etc.

AT&T and Samsung: FIX YOUR SH*T. SERIOUSLY. I AM BEYOND ANGRY. YOU HAVE RUINED MY FAVORITE PHONE.

Also, put the delay feature back in the volume control after watching media. Having the hard keys go instantly back to controlling ringer volume is retarded.
    11-05-2015 10:21 AM
    I am experiencing exactly the same thing although my phone is Note 5!
    11-10-2015 07:35 PM
    I did a ODIN manual 5.1.1 update (wipe and load) and my battery is way better than it was with 5.0. Got tired of waiting for the OTA updated since I have an unlocked AT&T note 4 on cricket.
    11-16-2015 07:14 AM
    I have a Sony z3 Compact running Lollipop 5.1.1 and the battery life is as before, I get two days of use out of the battery. It took about a day to stabilize after the update and from there no issues. I'm running 5.1.1 23.4.A.1.236 version.
    01-17-2016 09:01 AM
    My battery is awesome
    01-21-2016 01:04 PM
50 12