HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE battery life after 5.1.1 update

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep. I used to go all day at work, and when I got home would have 50-60% of my battery still left on an average day. Now, it's averaging about 20-30%. I haven't installed anything new, and have been carefully monitoring my apps' battery usage, etc.

Unacceptable.

Anyone else seeing this?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What model are you using? I'm currently on 5.0.1 on the ATT version. Haven't been able to update to 5.1.1 since I'm on a different carrier now.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Battery life was worse when I upgraded to Lollipop which is one of many reasons I went back to the previous version of Android (4.4). I do think that some of the issue related to not doing a clean install of Lollipop. Clean install should help a lot.
Rollback to Kit Kat sandwich though using Odin. I think Kit Kat is way better.

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was very happy with 5.0.1.

Another annoying thing: on 5.0.1, you had a few seconds in which to use the side volume buttons to change MEDIA volume after watching a video, etc. This was a great improvement from KitKat, and made complete sense.

Now it's back to the old way (which is that it instantly reverts to ringer volume). Lame.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
If you just got the update may be it will take couple of days to get back. 5.0.1 was initially worse for me, but am enjoying it everyday now. Beautiful transitions in lollipop, can't miss it.

Posted via the Android Central App

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm still on 5.0.1 love it. Disabled updates. Don't want scabby horrid 5.1.1
I am sticking with 5.0.1 until my phone dies! Excellent battery life 100% at 6am, it's 16.55 and still at 64%.

Posted via the Android Central App

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked your contacts? i.e. are their duplicates on the order of 10+? Do you have LinkedIn or Waze installed on your phone? If you answered yes, to the last two questions, then either uninstall the LinkedIn or Waze apps or switch off the contacts/account syncing and that should resolve a good portion of the problem.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the AT&T Note 4 as well on 5.1.1 and the last few days since the update, i'm getting about 2.5 to 3 hours of screen on time. Honestly though, the battery on my Note 4 has freaking SUCKED ever since the original lollipop update months and months ago so i'm basically used to it.

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Have you checked your contacts? i.e. are their duplicates on the order of 10+? Do you have LinkedIn or Waze installed on your phone? If you answered yes, to the last two questions, then either uninstall the LinkedIn or Waze apps or switch off the contacts/account syncing and that should resolve a good portion of the problem.

No duplicate contacts, neither of those apps installed.

Looks like some people over on xda developers are having the exact same issue.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I will add, though this started happening several weeks ago--well before the 5.1.1 update, that once my battery gets at or below 20%, it's only a matter of seconds before it shuts down, which is really weird. I've had my Note 4 for close to two years. Is the battery just getting old and needs to be replaced?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I will add, though this started happening several weeks ago--well before the 5.1.1 update, that once my battery gets at or below 20%, it's only a matter of seconds before it shuts down, which is really weird. I've had my Note 4 for close to two years. Is the battery just getting old and needs to be replaced?

Yes, 2 years is a good run for a battery, and that is precisely the symptom of a dying battery. Time to shell out $20 and enjoy that "like new battery life" again.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Yep. I used to go all day at work, and when I got home would have 50-60% of my battery still left on an average day. Now, it's averaging about 20-30%. I haven't installed anything new, and have been carefully monitoring my apps' battery usage, etc.

Unacceptable.

Anyone else seeing this?

No issues with my Note 4 (on Wind Mobile) with OS 5.1.1 installed. I actually have noticed better battery life. Then again I don't use nor run a ton of apps on my device.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky the install has simply failed the last three attempts, as shown below (plenty of room in internal memory, etc., I don't get it, but I'm not broken up about it). But if I ever do get it installed, I'm going to do what I did after 5.01: factory wipe. Yes, it's a pain, but it brought my old battery life back. Cache wiping wasn't enough. You might want to do the same.

Screenshot_2015-10-15-16-36-52.jpg

Demodave

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I updated from 5.01 to 5.1.1 with my AT&T Note 4. I did a factory reset and then restored all my apps from Google. My battery life is definitely better. In fact, the battery life is very close to what I was getting on Kit-Kat when the phone was brand new. I am very happy. Off the charger at 7am and still have anywhere between 40% - 60% when I plug back in at 10pm depending on use thru the day. On 5.0.1, I was barely making it to 10pm with any battery left.

Apps running constantly in the background:

Aqua Mail with 4 accounts, Textra, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, ESPN. Instagram, Weather Bug. Wi-fi and Bluetooth always on.

If your battery life is now truly horrible on 5.1.1, you should do a factory reset as you must have a runaway app eating your battery.

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site
What model are you using? I'm currently on 5.0.1 on the ATT version. Haven't been able to update to 5.1.1 since I'm on a different carrier now.

Do you plan on updating? If so how, Best Buy?
I have a Note 4 and am on Cricket, is Best Buy my only option?

Posted via my Note 4 on Cricket