HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE battery life after 5.1.1 update

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
What most people don't seem to get is that this is a sudden and drastic change, from what I've been seeing since I bought the phone. I use to go all day without charging (just charging over night), and now I'm having to charge after work (and I only work an 8 hour day). I am a "techy" guy, and I haven't installed anything new, or changed any of my habits.

I've been on my phone for about half an hour, and I'm already down to 90%. Android System and Kernel are just chewing through battery at a ridiculous rate. This is BS. Thanks for ruining my phone, Samsung. Idiots.

Last edited:

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There are two things that you should try disabling.

1. Samsung Push Services: This update just came out a day or so ago. I believe this drains your battery very fast. I also had an incident where I was down to about 10% battery life and it just shut off. Coincidentally it happened when this got installed/updated on my phone. You can go to your application manager and disable.

2. Caller ID (VZW): If you have this service and you don't know about it, this drains your battery like crazy. Once I disabled this I recognized a significant improvement on my battery life.

Samsung Push Service is using about 0.1%, definitely not the problem. I don't have the other thing.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Push Service is using about 0.1%, definitely not the problem. I don't have the other thing.
One thing I'd recommend trying is using the app Package Disabler Pro. It will disable a ton of the pre-installed bloatware and background services. Improved my battery life quite a bit. Doesn't require root

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
One thing I'd recommend trying is using the app Package Disabler Pro. It will disable a ton of the pre-installed bloatware and background services. Improved my battery life quite a bit. Doesn't require root

That's not the point. The point is that the "update" made my battery life MUCH, MUCH worse, with no other changes. It's crap, and I should have an option to roll back, but I don't.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That's not the point. The point is that the "update" made my battery life MUCH, MUCH worse, with no other changes. It's crap, and I should have an option to roll back, but I don't.

Right. But if you can't do that, remedying it would be the next best thing

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Update:

This is UTTER BS. It's been a couple weeks. Nothing has improved, the battery hasn't "settled in". I am seeing about 30-40% worse battery life than when I was on the last version of 5.0.1, with the exact same apps installed, habits, settings, etc.

AT&T and Samsung: FIX YOUR SH*T. SERIOUSLY. I AM BEYOND ANGRY. YOU HAVE RUINED MY FAVORITE PHONE.

Also, put the delay feature back in the volume control after watching media. Having the hard keys go instantly back to controlling ringer volume is retarded.

d4691

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I did a ODIN manual 5.1.1 update (wipe and load) and my battery is way better than it was with 5.0. Got tired of waiting for the OTA updated since I have an unlocked AT&T note 4 on cricket.

Linus Hanger

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have a Sony z3 Compact running Lollipop 5.1.1 and the battery life is as before, I get two days of use out of the battery. It took about a day to stabilize after the update and from there no issues. I'm running 5.1.1 23.4.A.1.236 version.