Since this is one of the few remaining phones with a removable battery and SD card, are you going to keep it as a backup phone?

I figure that even though this is a great phone, I will eventually upgrade after awhile and keep this as my primary "backup" phone due to the battery and SD card. I even bought some spare OEM cables/chargers + battery for added measure (also just in case I ever want to sell it or give it to someone down the road).
    10-18-2015 09:27 AM
    I could see this phone lasting another year and a half at most. But i'd be concerned about performance at that point, so I'd have to get a new phone anyway

Posted from the one and only Note 4
    new2thisyeah likes this.
    10-18-2015 10:50 AM
    No, I'll keep my Note 4 as my daily driver until the day it dies, there's just nothing out there at the moment that can possibly replace it. I like new technology as well but I think the Note 4 was the last truly great masterpiece from Samsung.
    10-18-2015 11:00 AM
    At the minimum, I will be keeping this phone as my primary phone until my 2 year contract is up. Then I'm probably gonna go for whatever 2017 phone LG has.

Considering the ability to swap batteries and micro-SD card, the great camera and customizations (root, custom ROM, SPen, etc), I wouldn't mind keeping it as a primary phone past the 2 year contract. But unfortunately, technology does not stop progressing and there's always going to be something better over time (and I would hope especially after 2 years). To answer your question, I would not keep it as a "backup phone", but rather something else such as a media player (iPod-like) or a quick go-to camera in my car.

I just can't bring myself to use any phone bigger than 5.2" as a backup phone. That's why I enjoy the Moto G phones so much. It's been my backup phone since its inception (3rd gen being my current backup). Only complaint is the lack of a removable battery.
    new2thisyeah likes this.
    10-18-2015 11:28 AM
    Backup? Unless I severely break it or lose it, I'll be using my one year old Note 4 for the next year if not longer. It does everything I need it to do fast and well.

Was thinking about a new Nexus sometime in 2016 however the new 6 is not aesthetically pleasing to me and, call me crazy, I do not care for stock vanilla Android at all.
    10-18-2015 12:36 PM
    Backup? I'm keeping my Note 4 as a primary for the foreseeable future while I wait to see if the Note 6 brings back a user-replaceable battery. If not I'll probably just hang on to my Note 4 indefinitely and pick up some new batteries to replace the two original ones I have now. When the time comes I do move on I'll keep the Note 4 as a backup like I have yet with my old Note 2.
    Ditto.... My thoughts exactly.. Keeping mine too as a primary phone!

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-19-2015 08:07 AM
    Ha, I can see I am around, smart and intelligent smartphone users.

For me, and I am a Samsung Fanboy of the Notes, and Galaxy Gear smartwatches; however, it was a no brainer for me NOT TO UPGRADE TO EITHER OF THOSE TWO.

I am KEEPING my beloved Note 4, and my Gear S.. I am in Maryland, on the weekend, I took the Marc Bicycle Train to DC from Baltimore..My Note 4 blasting on the train ride, when I got to Union station, eating and the Note 4 still blasting, and then using the GPS to get around. Meantime, battery goes down to 8 %..No problem, I dismount off my bicycle, pull out a spare battery, back to 100%. If not on the bicycle, I can do the battery swap in about 15 seconds.. Plus, I have a 128gb in the Note 4, crammed with Flac Hi Res large files, HD Movies, tons of pics and personal vids, in fact, my 128gb sd has about 85 gbs loaded on it. .Where would I be with the Note 5? Out too lunch with the battery, and data storage.

Needless to say, Samsung went the backward route with the Gear S2 smartwatch..Not going to comment on that, except they made it smaller, and took away the speaker phone!!

Needless to say, the $1200 I saved in not upgrading those 2 will be going toward a new Nikon D7200 with an 18-140 lens.. Heh, heh, life is sweet..

Will go for a Note 6, if they bring back the sd and removable battery, or that make a 256 gb version at regular price.
    new2thisyeah and D Android like this.
    10-19-2015 10:14 PM
    I'm pretty sure my Note 4 will last me a long time. Not at all interested in the phones out right now. I will say though, I'm use to upgrading to the latest and greatest the past few years, which always was the previous Notes since my first Note 2. So right now, I keep looking at what's coming out next. Not because I'm bored with my Note 4, I still haven't even used half of it's potential. Just seeing what else is out there. The Nexus 6P is catching my Eye, along with another phone a guy at Best Buy told me about, but may never happen. That phone is really peaking my interest, if it ever comes to be.

The One thing that keeps me grounded to my Note 4 and I can't do without, is the S Pen. There are already other phones out with a stylus, but all are capacitive Stylii. The thick Rubber Tipped ones. I will never go back to that. I need the S Pen, so that alone will keep me using my Note 4. I'm with you guys with the removable Battery and no SD card issue. No Notes for me in the future without those features.
    10-19-2015 11:09 PM
    Perfectly happy with my decision to buy a T-Mobile variant for use on my AT&T account. I'm running a custom ROM and am looking forward to trying another soon as development of ROMS based upon 5.1.1 continues. Since there isn't anything that I feel I'm missing compared to current flagships I'm sure I can ride out another year easily and be satisfied.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    new2thisyeah likes this.
    10-19-2015 11:27 PM
    Ha. I am also planning to keep my phone while. I had an IPhone 4 for 3 years (I was aiming for 4 years but it got stolen and used a hand-me-down 4S for a year...) but the battery started to really deteriorate after awhile. I LOVE the fact that I can easily change the battery on the Note 4; however, I will probably upgrade in a couple years... and turn this baby on every once in a blue moon to keep it in working order.
    10-20-2015 11:06 AM
    I've had my Note 4 four 8 months and it will be my primary for probably another two years, at least. It's powerful enough to do anything I need and I don't see that changing for a long time.

I also have the accessories to last that long. I have three batteries, an external battery charger, a wireless charging back and pad, and a case. I have my batteries labeled so that I can cycle through them so that they get equal wear.

My backup is a Moto G (1st gen HSPA+) that's unlocked with Lollypop.

My next phone will probably be whatever big phone Google slaps the Nexus name on. I'm tired of dealing with this manufacturer and carrier dependent upgrade BS. The Nexus 6P is nice looking.
    new2thisyeah likes this.
    10-20-2015 03:12 PM
    Backup? I'm keeping my Note 4 as a primary for the foreseeable future while I wait to see if the Note 6 brings back a user-replaceable battery. If not I'll probably just hang on to my Note 4 indefinitely and pick up some new batteries to replace the two original ones I have now. When the time comes I do move on I'll keep the Note 4 as a backup like I have yet with my old Note 2.
    ^^This RIGHT HERE. I'll see if they come out with a Note 6 Edge. If it does not have a removable battery, my current backup phone (Galaxy S3) will remain my backup.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...
    new2thisyeah likes this.
    10-20-2015 09:47 PM
    Nah, I got my 2014 Moto X for that.
    new2thisyeah likes this.
    10-21-2015 07:12 AM
    Should I come across something that compels me to purchase a new device, I will most definitely keep it as a backup. However, for the time being, I am praying I do not have to replace it again (unfortunately had a few replacements thus far for different reasons) as it seems the stock is getting low. With my last replacement, there was initially some skepticism as to whether one would be available or if I'd be sent a 5.
    new2thisyeah likes this.
    10-21-2015 09:56 AM
    I just bought my Note 4. And it will be my primary for a while. Bought it specifically for the removable battery. I bought a Galaxy S6 when they came out, and have been quite disappointed. The battery life is horrid on it. A Mophie battery case helped, but made it bulky and ugly. So the removable battery is what sold me on the Note 4, as apposed to the Note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-21-2015 10:13 AM
    See my post above (#6) and please disregard it. I impulse-bought a Note 5 yesterday. I didn't need it, didn't want it, but bought it anyway. I traded-in my Lumia 1520 that has been sitting in a drawer for the past 12 months and it is only costing me like $8 more per month than the Lumia.

What I thought would take a week to set-up like my Note 4 only took me the better part of a day. It's a real nice device and after assessing my storage needs, the 64GB Note 5 will do just fine since I have like 4 cloud accounts with basically unlimited storage. Also, 99% of the time, I'm near a wall or car charger and for that 1% I'm not, I'll pack the external 10k mAh battery.

Anyway, I'm also keeping the N4 as well.

I'm an id__t.

That is all.
    Cmlael likes this.
    10-31-2015 05:01 PM
    keeping the note 4 until a 5.8" phone or larger comes out with a stylus and sd card. Until then, I'll be wasting my JUMP due to a giant lack of options.
    11-03-2015 10:24 PM
    Back-up? No it's my daily driver and will be for a while. Samsung has lost a lot of my good will this year thanks to their ISungs 6. Whenever I decide that it's time to upgrade I'm going LG.
    But for the time being I'm very happy with my Note 4 and performance can always be great by doing a factory reset.
    11-03-2015 10:33 PM