11-10-2015 04:33 PM
28 12
tools
    Ok Verizon - what's going on???

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-07-2015 07:19 PM
    Can you clarify the question?
    11-07-2015 07:21 PM
    I understand what he's saying, and it's a damn shame really. Hate verizon for many of reasons and this is one of them. If you want a phone with good updates get a tmobile phone or a nexus
    11-07-2015 07:43 PM
    I understand what he's saying, and it's a damn shame really. Hate verizon for many of reasons and this is one of them. If you want a phone with good updates get a tmobile phone or a nexus
    What did I miss???

11-07-2015 08:01 PM
    Can you explain it? Is Verizon putting Note 4 to pasture?
    11-07-2015 09:03 PM
    You've got to be kidding me

Posted from the one and only Note 4
    11-07-2015 09:49 PM
    What's going on?
    11-07-2015 11:12 PM
    BlackBerry phone 📱 getting 5.1.1 before the note 4?
    11-07-2015 11:18 PM
    Updates usually come later than new device releases on non nexus Android phones, so this shouldn't be surprising.

The Note 5 was released a few months ago with 5.1.1, so in that regard, Samsung is ahead of blackberry. To be ahead of the curve, blackberry would need to release it with 6.
    muzzy996 likes this.
    11-07-2015 11:42 PM
    The post was a question - why is the VZW Note 4 not getting an update while a blackberry has it right off the shelf. Not to mention all other providers have taken their Note 4 to 5.1.1 or 6 while we wait.

#VZWFail.

11-08-2015 12:41 AM
    What's up with the wait???

11-08-2015 12:42 AM
    Oh, this is actually very simple. The Priv was built with 5.1.1 - it's not being "updated" to that and it is a newer device, so it should have more updates further into the future than the Note 4 will see. That said, Samsung has already said they will update the Note 4 and Note 5 to 6.0 - it just hasn't happened yet. It takes time to develop an OTA and even longer to develop an OTA for carrier specific devices. The Note 4 being on 5.1.1 (highest version prior to 6.0) at this point is perfectly acceptable and expected. The Priv starting on 5.1.1 only makes sense because they built it on that, though it would have been better for them to release with 6.0. Verizon has absolutely nothing to do with what software COMES on a device, and they have almost nothing to do with which devices will ultimately get updated - if Samsung pushes an update to them, they have control over WHEN it will be released (because it is dependent on their internal certification) but it is very rare for Verizon to cancel an update that the OEM sent to them for testing.
    11-08-2015 10:46 AM
    Oh, this is actually very simple. The Priv was built with 5.1.1 - it's not being "updated" to that and it is a newer device, so it should have more updates further into the future than the Note 4 will see. That said, Samsung has already said they will update the Note 4 and Note 5 to 6.0 - it just hasn't happened yet. It takes time to develop an OTA and even longer to develop an OTA for carrier specific devices. The Note 4 being on 5.1.1 (highest version prior to 6.0) at this point is perfectly acceptable and expected. The Priv starting on 5.1.1 only makes sense because they built it on that, though it would have been better for them to release with 6.0. Verizon has absolutely nothing to do with what software COMES on a device, and they have almost nothing to do with which devices will ultimately get updated - if Samsung pushes an update to them, they have control over WHEN it will be released (because it is dependent on their internal certification) but it is very rare for Verizon to cancel an update that the OEM sent to them for testing.
    So you're saying it's Samsung fault every other Note 4, except VZW, has been updated to 5.1.1? More specifically, since Samsung has announced that it is developing an Android 6.0 for the VZW Note 4, we may not see an update till the 6.0 is released.
    11-08-2015 02:41 PM
    So you're saying it's Samsung fault every other Note 4, except VZW, has been updated to 5.1.1? More specifically, since Samsung has announced that it is developing an Android 6.0 for the VZW Note 4, we may not see an update till the 6.0 is released.
    The second sentence would make me think that the first could be accurate.
    11-08-2015 02:46 PM
    The second sentence would make me think that the first could be accurate.
    Well isn't that special....Just wish we knew who was the keeper of the keys; or in this case, the update release button.
    11-08-2015 05:16 PM
    It is ridiculous how long VZW withholds updates. It's even more ridiculous when you consider the VZW releases are generally still not missing any of the bugs/issues any of the other carriers release updates with.
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    11-09-2015 10:33 AM
    It is ridiculous how long VZW withholds updates. It's even more ridiculous when you consider the VZW releases are generally still not missing any of the bugs/issues any of the other carriers release updates with.
    Which still begs the quest - who and/or what is the hold up? Knowing that most other carriers have delivered the update except VZW (bugs and all) why hasn't our update been released?

Still waiting on a "no kidding" answer......
    11-09-2015 01:15 PM
    Going by the thread title I just wanted to clarify if this is the situation or not: Verizon rejected Samsung's 5.1.1 build for the Note 4? or Verizon rejected Samsung's 5.1.1 build for the Note 4 because they accepted BlackBerry's 5.1.1 Update to the Priv even though the Priv ships with 5.1.1?
    11-09-2015 01:18 PM
    I don't think Verizon rejected the 5.1.1 build, they just haven't finished tweaking it to function properly with all their bloatware is my guess.
    11-09-2015 03:38 PM
    TMobile has not updated their Note 4 to 5.1.1 either. Verizon is not the only one.

Ry likes this.
    11-09-2015 04:47 PM
    Going by the thread title I just wanted to clarify if this is the situation or not: Verizon rejected Samsung's 5.1.1 build for the Note 4? or Verizon rejected Samsung's 5.1.1 build for the Note 4 because they accepted BlackBerry's 5.1.1 Update to the Priv even though the Priv ships with 5.1.1?
    There is literally nothing about the Priv, including testing resources, that has any impact on whether or not Verizon has (or will) certified any particular update to the Note 4 software that is sent to them by Samsung.
    Laura Knotek and katielee23 like this.
    11-09-2015 05:09 PM
    According to step 4 of the provided link...we as VZW Note 4 users don't have problems with our devices. This is probably the most informative answer I have found explaining why we are not getting our updates as soon as we like.

I guess those of you who have AT&T (and T-Mobile, Sprint, etc...) Note 4's had a lot more issues than us VZW Note 4 users....hmmmmm??? Either way, refer to SamMobile link and form your own opinion.

http://www.sammobile.com/when-will-i...e-on-my-phone/
    11-09-2015 06:12 PM
    TMobile has not updated their Note 4 to 5.1.1 either. Verizon is not the only one.

I bought my Note 4 (TMO) on Friday, and it had 5.1.1 out of the box.
    11-09-2015 06:18 PM
    According to step 4 of the provided link...we as VZW Note 4 users don't have problems with our devices. This is probably the most informative answer I have found explaining why we are not getting our updates as soon as we like.

I guess those of you who have AT&T (and T-Mobile, Sprint, etc...) Note 4's had a lot more issues than us VZW Note 4 users....hmmmmm??? Either way, refer to SamMobile link and form your own opinion.

When will I receive the latest Android update on my phone? - SamMobile
    Sammobile is actually taking their info from Samsung themselves this time Wat je moet weten over Android updates | SAMSUNG Nederland The time from when software is made available to AOSP to when Samsung gives it to the carriers to when the carriers finish testing and get ready to push an update can be fairly extreme in some cases. It's cool to learn a little about their prioritization.
    Laura Knotek and Dustoff-00 like this.
    11-09-2015 06:22 PM
    Has us cellular note 4 gotten 5.1.1?
    11-09-2015 07:00 PM
28 12