VZW Note 4 rejected while BlackBerry Priv gets 5.1 1

squall2099

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I understand what he's saying, and it's a damn shame really. Hate verizon for many of reasons and this is one of them. If you want a phone with good updates get a tmobile phone or a nexus

daiwolf

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I understand what he's saying, and it's a damn shame really. Hate verizon for many of reasons and this is one of them. If you want a phone with good updates get a tmobile phone or a nexus

What did I miss???

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Can you explain it? Is Verizon putting Note 4 to pasture?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Updates usually come later than new device releases on non nexus Android phones, so this shouldn't be surprising.

The Note 5 was released a few months ago with 5.1.1, so in that regard, Samsung is ahead of blackberry. To be ahead of the curve, blackberry would need to release it with 6.

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The post was a question - why is the VZW Note 4 not getting an update while a blackberry has it right off the shelf. Not to mention all other providers have taken their Note 4 to 5.1.1 or 6 while we wait.

#VZWFail.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh, this is actually very simple. The Priv was built with 5.1.1 - it's not being "updated" to that and it is a newer device, so it should have more updates further into the future than the Note 4 will see. That said, Samsung has already said they will update the Note 4 and Note 5 to 6.0 - it just hasn't happened yet. It takes time to develop an OTA and even longer to develop an OTA for carrier specific devices. The Note 4 being on 5.1.1 (highest version prior to 6.0) at this point is perfectly acceptable and expected. The Priv starting on 5.1.1 only makes sense because they built it on that, though it would have been better for them to release with 6.0. Verizon has absolutely nothing to do with what software COMES on a device, and they have almost nothing to do with which devices will ultimately get updated - if Samsung pushes an update to them, they have control over WHEN it will be released (because it is dependent on their internal certification) but it is very rare for Verizon to cancel an update that the OEM sent to them for testing.

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh, this is actually very simple. The Priv was built with 5.1.1 - it's not being "updated" to that and it is a newer device, so it should have more updates further into the future than the Note 4 will see. That said, Samsung has already said they will update the Note 4 and Note 5 to 6.0 - it just hasn't happened yet. It takes time to develop an OTA and even longer to develop an OTA for carrier specific devices. The Note 4 being on 5.1.1 (highest version prior to 6.0) at this point is perfectly acceptable and expected. The Priv starting on 5.1.1 only makes sense because they built it on that, though it would have been better for them to release with 6.0. Verizon has absolutely nothing to do with what software COMES on a device, and they have almost nothing to do with which devices will ultimately get updated - if Samsung pushes an update to them, they have control over WHEN it will be released (because it is dependent on their internal certification) but it is very rare for Verizon to cancel an update that the OEM sent to them for testing.

So you're saying it's Samsung fault every other Note 4, except VZW, has been updated to 5.1.1? More specifically, since Samsung has announced that it is developing an Android 6.0 for the VZW Note 4, we may not see an update till the 6.0 is released.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying it's Samsung fault every other Note 4, except VZW, has been updated to 5.1.1? More specifically, since Samsung has announced that it is developing an Android 6.0 for the VZW Note 4, we may not see an update till the 6.0 is released.

The second sentence would make me think that the first could be accurate.

the_sandman_454

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
It is ridiculous how long VZW withholds updates. It's even more ridiculous when you consider the VZW releases are generally still not missing any of the bugs/issues any of the other carriers release updates with.

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is ridiculous how long VZW withholds updates. It's even more ridiculous when you consider the VZW releases are generally still not missing any of the bugs/issues any of the other carriers release updates with.

Which still begs the quest - who and/or what is the hold up? Knowing that most other carriers have delivered the update except VZW (bugs and all) why hasn't our update been released?

Still waiting on a "no kidding" answer......

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Going by the thread title I just wanted to clarify if this is the situation or not: Verizon rejected Samsung's 5.1.1 build for the Note 4? or Verizon rejected Samsung's 5.1.1 build for the Note 4 because they accepted BlackBerry's 5.1.1 Update to the Priv even though the Priv ships with 5.1.1?

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Verizon rejected the 5.1.1 build, they just haven't finished tweaking it to function properly with all their bloatware is my guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance