New Verizon note 4 factory oem battery is it nfc or non nfc

p5200

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I ordered a new replacement battery for the note 4 my daughter gave me from ebay but, it doesn't say if it's an nfc battery or not. for the price I paid, I'd guess that it's non nfc. I'm not even sure what the nfc feature is used for. Thanks! :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, without knowing exactly which batter you got, it's pretty hard to know if it's a non-NFC one or not. If you don't know what the feature is used for, chances are you won't need it anyway, but you could be missing out on a few cool features.

NFC stands for Near Field Communications. That means that something communicates with something else, and that the communication takes place when the two devices are in close proximity. OK, now that the 'technical stuff' is out of the way, to the 'goodies'.

With NFC you can do a few cool things. For instance, if you have two phones with NFC and you activate the sharing feature (some phones call it Android Beam, some S-Share, some NFC Sharing, etc.), it will automagically start the transfer between two devices when you put them together, usually back to back. If your looking at a picture, for instance, just tap the back to another compatible phone and voilá, you'll hear a beep, you can separate the devices, and the system will do the rest.

But perhaps the one feature most people are trying to use these days are payments using your phone. With that NFC chip you can initiate payments using apps like Android Pay or some bank-specific apps (again, for this to work you'd need an NFC-compatible terminal, and while those are rising in availability, they're nowhere near as ubiquitous as magnetic strip readers, which is why Samsung's new phones have that advantage since Samsung Pay also works with normal terminals, but that's another story and one that, sadly, your Note 4 doesn't support).

Some hotels are also starting to offer to 'code' your room key into your phone so that you can open it with the NFC chip. Just tap the back of your phone to the door reader, and it opens (provided it is your room and/or you're still paying for it).

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Note 4 comes with an NFC antenna pre-installed. You can turn in on by going to:
Settings ->More Networks->NFC->then turn it on

Not sure why you would need a battery with NFC.....

Are you asking about wireless charging?

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Like to edit my previous reply....

The NFC on the battery of the Note 4 is only the antenna which the phone itself uses as a source for the internal NFC function...as I currently understand it.

Maggie Pantsvanilla

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
So it doesnt matter if i use an extended non-nfc battery? I couldnt find anything to support this when i was looking for batteries all the comments and reviews seemed concerned with the battery being nfc enabled or not.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So it doesnt matter if i use an extended non-nfc battery? I couldnt find anything to support this when i was looking for batteries all the comments and reviews seemed concerned with the battery being nfc enabled or not.

Posted via the Android Central App

Like Synycalwon mentioned...if you're not using NFC it doesn't matter.

p5200

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I went to my ebay page and with a close up of the battery picture, it says Near field communications so if the battery is the exact thing as the photo, I guess it does have the nfc but I will probably never use it any way I just thought that $8.99 was an awful cheap price. I thank you very much folks! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781