Note 4 Sudden Battery Drain

RiaBrown

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had my T-Mobile Note 4 for 16 months now, and within the last six weeks or so, it has started this, too. It'll go from 30% to 10% within seconds, and before I've plugged it in, it dies at 0%. I take the battery out and put it back in again, and it sometimes goes back to what it was and I can charge it, but other times it does not budge. I'll have to plug it in and then it may jump up to what it was quickly, or it may not. It just did it fifteen minutes ago, and I plugged it in to a regular charger and it's very slowly charging. 4% over 15 minutes.

I have found that Selfie Alarm and AirWakeUp cause the battery to drain super-quick. AirWakeUp I never use, so I disable it. I usually do not have Bluetooth or GPS on, and when I'm at home I turn data off and use my personal WiFi. I have a rechargeable portable charger that I carry in my purse all the time because I never know when my battery will just suddenly die. Normally, my battery lasts all day long, and by the time it needs charging it's bedtime. I was considering upgrading to the Note 5 when my upgrade comes around but now I'm not so sure.

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I have had my T-Mobile Note 4 for 16 months now, and within the last six weeks or so, it has started this, too. It'll go from 30% to 10% within seconds, and before I've plugged it in, it dies at 0%. I take the battery out and put it back in again, and it sometimes goes back to what it was and I can charge it, but other times it does not budge. I'll have to plug it in and then it may jump up to what it was quickly, or it may not. It just did it fifteen minutes ago, and I plugged it in to a regular charger and it's very slowly charging. 4% over 15 minutes.

I have found that Selfie Alarm and AirWakeUp cause the battery to drain super-quick. AirWakeUp I never use, so I disable it. I usually do not have Bluetooth or GPS on, and when I'm at home I turn data off and use my personal WiFi. I have a rechargeable portable charger that I carry in my purse all the time because I never know when my battery will just suddenly die. Normally, my battery lasts all day long, and by the time it needs charging it's bedtime. I was considering upgrading to the Note 5 when my upgrade comes around but now I'm not so sure.
I was having the same issue. If it is not an app causing the issue, replace the battery

TheChainDude13

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Its not your phone, it's your battery.

What you're experiencing is the effect fast charging has on your battery.

Try charging it normally (without fast charge) and it will improve that effect somewhat.

Buy a new battery and you're good for the next few months.

Feel sorry for those note5 users who gonna need a battery change in the next few months. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

You can disable fast charging in Settings -> Battery. Hope this helps

Araz Miro

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
FIX: I can assure you guys that it's 100% a software issue. No need buying a new battery or anything else.
I've had this issue for about two weeks and after updating my software, it's not just fixed, but also the battery is improved A LOT!

(Galaxy Note 4 - android 6.0)

pollie00

May 17, 2011
Visit site
FIX: I can assure you guys that it's 100% a software issue. No need buying a new battery or anything else.
I've had this issue for about two weeks and after updating my software, it's not just fixed, but also the battery is improved A LOT!

Hey Araz, what carrier are you on? Did you get another update to Android M (6.0.1) I tend to agree that this looks like a software issue. I have been having bad battery drain and the phone shutting off around 30-40%. I ordered a new battery (Anker) just to rule that out. If that doesn't solve the issue that might be the deathwish for my Note 4. I really doubt they are going to release a patch to fix this issue, especially my carrier Verizon.

project86

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I am also having the battery issue. Seems that Samsung just doesn't know how to develop working batteries. My wife has my Apple 5 that I bought at launch and the battery is still doing great, even after, what, nearly 4 years? Why is my Samsung Note 4 battery having these issues for the past several months and i barely bought it last year in February? Did they do this deliberately so most people would just buy a new phone? Maybe even a new battery? I think this will be my first and last Samsung phone. Too many issues. One that I am facing now is not being able to download apps or update apps over WIFI or 4G, yet everything else works fine: texting, youtube, facebook, music streaming, video streaming, etc. I am beginning to shop around for a new phone that is NOT Samsung.

Kroal

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
If you look at my thread, I have a whole discussion about my battery draining (down to 0% though, not turning off at 30%) but what does Araz mean by updating software? Ive got no avaliable update on my note 4. Would this fix my battery drain issue? I tried a new battery and it still ran down the same so it's gotta be a software issue

Kroal

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I don't even know what knox is or what it's all about, someone enlighten me?

I do see lots of problems about knox but literally have no clue what it is, it could even be my problem with my battery drain, who knows

bergadea

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi I'm using Knox 2.4.1 version. Just got the 2016-08-01 update installed and hoping for the best today!

I was pretty abusing my phone early this year due to a game (charging 2-3 times a day, falling asleep while phone is charging, etc.) so when my phone started to suddenly go to 0% from 37%, I thought I had it coming. I l stopped playing in my Note 4 altogether to try to "save" it but didn't help. Then just about 2 months ago, it started suddenly dropping from 70-85% to 0%. While I'm at work, I don't usually use my phone and it will die on its own. Now, when I use the phone, it's usually plugged in 80% of the time. I can't use the camera because the battery will drain after 5 photos (screen flickers a lot).

I think the problem is with the battery but I'm gonna monitor if the update helps. On Monday, I will test with a brand new battery just to check if it really is the battery or phone. Hoping its a new battery or the new update does the trick coz my Note 4's just over a year old and it's too dang expensive to buy a new phone. :-X

parmeet1402

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi I'm using Knox 2.4.1 version. Just got the 2016-08-01 update installed and hoping for the best today!

I was pretty abusing my phone early this year due to a game (charging 2-3 times a day, falling asleep while phone is charging, etc.) so when my phone started to suddenly go to 0% from 37%, I thought I had it coming. I l stopped playing in my Note 4 altogether to try to "save" it but didn't help. Then just about 2 months ago, it started suddenly dropping from 70-85% to 0%. While I'm at work, I don't usually use my phone and it will die on its own. Now, when I use the phone, it's usually plugged in 80% of the time. I can't use the camera because the battery will drain after 5 photos (screen flickers a lot).

I think the problem is with the battery but I'm gonna monitor if the update helps. On Monday, I will test with a brand new battery just to check if it really is the battery or phone. Hoping its a new battery or the new update does the trick coz my Note 4's just over a year old and it's too dang expensive to buy a new phone. :-X

Did the update helped?

Doris Solmitz

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
That's funny. My AT&T Note 4 does the exact same thing.

Even before the 5.1.1 update. Doesn't do it every time but probably around 85% of the time when it gets down to 35-30% it shuts down and when plugged into a charger it shows 0% and after a bit of time it's shows a big jump in battery power... like 38-45%.

Have yet to figure it out???

Doris Solmitz

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
My Note 4 started doing their same thing a couple of weeks ago. It was around them update time. I hope some one can resolve this issue. I'm on my 3rd Note and in general have been satisfied. Just very frustrated right now.

RiaBrown

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

I hope you're right. I'm downloading the update now. The other day it died at 50% while I was playing with Google Earth. Not a half-hour ago it died at 60%. I was playing with SnapChat and it died.

Trevor Lazaro

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Guys I am based in the UK and my Note 4 has been doing the same thing since update also, 35-40% then boom dead switches off and needs a full re-charge, this happens everyday without fail !!!
If it's a bug it would make sense as so many guys are getting the same issue??

RiaBrown

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Guys I am based in the UK and my Note 4 has been doing the same thing since update also, 35-40% then boom dead switches off and needs a full re-charge, this happens everyday without fail !!!
If it's a bug it would make sense as so many guys are getting the same issue??

I'm almost certain it's some kind of bug. New batteries aren't helping. I'm on T-Mobile, I upgraded to Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) over the weekend and it is still doing the rapid drain/shutoff. It died last night at 35% while I was in the middle of a conference call for my second job. It's maddening. I'm still searching for a solution.

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost certain it's some kind of bug. New batteries aren't helping. I'm on T-Mobile, I upgraded to Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) over the weekend and it is still doing the rapid drain/shutoff. It died last night at 35% while I was in the middle of a conference call for my second job. It's maddening. I'm still searching for a solution.
Had the same issue after the update on Verizon. I did a factory reset and my battery life is better

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463