Can I change the background on my Note 4 to black for all screens (including text messaging)?

S Cox

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I took a photo of something black and used as the screen background for my Note 2, chose white font; to cut down on battery usage. I want to do the same for my new Note 4, but it only changes the home screens. My text messages, and other programs, all use light backgrounds. Can I change it to black? My battery is draining out faster than I can charge -- even with rapid charge. I thought this might help. (I've already reset the temp cache, as suggested on another thread.)

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Without root or installing a custom ROM and using a compatible theme the only thing you can do is try to replace some common applications that you use with ones that have the ability to theme built in. This only goes so far though and you'll never be able to truly turn every screen and menu black without a custom ROM and theme.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I took a photo of something black and used as the screen background for my Note 2, chose white font; to cut down on battery usage. I want to do the same for my new Note 4, but it only changes the home screens. My text messages, and other programs, all use light backgrounds. Can I change it to black? My battery is draining out faster than I can charge -- even with rapid charge. I thought this might help. (I've already reset the temp cache, as suggested on another thread.)

There is something you can try, I do it at night, but you can keep it on all the time. Go to Settings>>Accessibility>>Vision>>negative colors.

dedhedAndy

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

The stock messaging app has background that is pretty close to black.
Screenshot_2015-12-16-14-36-58.jpg