When my Note 4 gets to 30% left it will die. Do I need a new battery?

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Same boat here.
The only difference is it fluctuates. Once it hits 20%, it will randomly shut off at any given time. Sometimes it'll go from 20 to Critical, then it turns OFF when I plug it in.

I was hoping a cache / partition reset and factory reset would help, but it didn't. The first 70% is fine. I don't normally let the phone drop that low, but in the off chance I'm out on the town I wouldn't want it to randomly shut off, so I bought a new one.

I'll retire the old one completely after I use it to install Marshmallow. It's barely a year old, so I'll preserve some charge cycles on my new one for a little while longer.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Get some new batteries. I just ordered two new batteries for my note 4 and 2 new batteries for my Note edge on eBay. They were about $11 each and include the plastic cases like you would get if ordered from Samsung.

Batteries are pretty cheap now since the phone is an older model. I just ordered them for backups because all my originals are still lasting forever after a year.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Are droid turbo batteries failing a year in as well? I think it's bull, that after a year (halfway through the payment plan) the battery takes a dump.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yep, had my Note 4 since launch day, and had to replace its battery 2months ago, it was also getting to 20%, then suddenly 5% and then 5mins later dead.

I used Fast Charging a lot so I think it may be the culprit. I am using it less with the new battery.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If it is dying at that percentage, it sounds like the battery is unfortunately on its way out. :( Grab a new one!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine is going dead at 30% when prior to this month it was lasting longer. Tried uninstalling apps but still doing..I have abbreviation battery coming in the mail.
Its concerning me because more and more phones aren't equipped with removable batteries. And that's not good

skon1212

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issue with my battery dying at 24%. I bought a new battery and followed the charging cycle that was recommended(no slow charge and let the battery drain for a couple cycles) Well day one the new battery died again at 24%, day 2 it died around 15% and now the last 2 days it dies at 34%. Not sure where to go from here. My OS is 5.0.1 and my phone has been trying to update but always fails. Is it a phone issue or still battery?

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought a cheap "Samsung" battery which I doubt was really Samsung, or else a refurb sold as new since the same thing kept happening. Then I bought a set of ankers and they've been working great.

Has this problem been fixed in newer phones or are we going to see a lot of super cheap note 5s in a few months?

zaydabarber

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If your phone has a warranty call samsung or your carrier they will send you out another one

AT&T Note 4 ,5 & gear 2 & gear s

Jelly Beans

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Same boat here.
The only difference is it fluctuates. Once it hits 20%, it will randomly shut off at any given time. Sometimes it'll go from 20 to Critical, then it turns OFF when I plug it in.

I was hoping a cache / partition reset and factory reset would help, but it didn't. The first 70% is fine. I don't normally let the phone drop that low, but in the off chance I'm out on the town I wouldn't want it to randomly shut off, so I bought a new one.

I'll retire the old one completely after I use it to install Marshmallow. It's barely a year old, so I'll preserve some charge cycles on my new one for a little while longer.

I am having the same problem with my phone.. I changed battery 6 times and it has not helped. I even got the motherboard changed and it is still not working..

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Are droid turbo batteries failing a year in as well? I think it's bull, that after a year (halfway through the payment plan) the battery takes a dump.

Most phones will start to see some impact on battery life (based on how much you use it) within a year or so. The battery tech is really rated to have 70-80% of capacity after a few hundred charges, so if you use the battery a lot like I do, you'll see that 20-30% drop in battery life easily within a year. On my last two phones (Moto X and X 2014), that basically meant going from "can get through the day and dinner out when necessary" to "it's 3PM, do you know where your charger is?"

Many people wouldn't even really notice the drop in battery life, since car chargers and chargers at our desks are pretty readily available. But go on an all-day meeting or any activity away from a charger, and it's noticeable.

I keep hoping against hope that the Note 7 gets a swappable battery. I know it won't - but I keep hoping. Because devices that cost this much money should not be held hostage to the wear and tear of a $20 part.

Cma8888

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys...

Mine did the same a year ago. It died out at 30%. I bought a new battery and now 4-6 months after it does the same thing!!!!!! I give up saying goodbye to my Note and getting another phone!!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys...

Mine did the same a year ago. It died out at 30%. I bought a new battery and now 4-6 months after it does the same thing!!!!!! I give up saying goodbye to my Note and getting another phone!!
Where did you buy the battery? Was it an original Samsung battery? The AC store has them on sale for $15.95 right now. These are Samsung OEM batteries. I use them and they work just fine.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I posted a link a day or two ago where they are on sale for $8.99 on eBay, original OEM batteries just like you pay double for on AC. I bought two of the eBay batteries myself, top quality.
The LINK you posted are for "unbranded generic" batteries. They don't appear to be Samsung OEM batteries... but "compatible" ones.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The LINK you posted are for "unbranded generic" batteries. They don't appear to be Samsung OEM batteries... but "compatible" ones.

Oh sorry. Those aren't the ones then. Mine were $11.95. Guess the seller isn't selling the OEM ones anymore. I wouldn't buy the ones in that link. I didn't read the description. I just assumed they were the same since they were the same seller.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan