Charging only works with the phone vertical and upside down?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
SO, knowing how people here just love a mystery....

Long and irrelevant story, but I was caught by surprise and wound up spending a night away from home without any planning. Thus, I had no charger and no extra batteries and no time to go home to get them. My phone was dying soon enough.

So, I borrowed a cable and charger, 2 amps, 5 volts. All seemed well.

Then, I moved upstairs. I could not get the phone to charge with this same charger. The charger showed a green light, indicating it was getting power. But it did not seem to connect with the phone (micro usb to usb cable, plugged into wall outlet). I tried a couple of other chargers that my helpful hosts offered the same amp/volt ratings and a different cable as well. Would not work! I tried different electrical outlets... would not work. But the outlets seemed just fine for everything else including far higher powered equipment and their own phones. So, THAT doesn't seem to be the problem.

Entirely by accident, I discovered that propping the phone up vertically and upside down, so that the charging jack was on the top, let it charge. Suddenly, it worked again. Althoughhhh...it did seem to charge notably slower than it did downstairs.

So, to make the mystery clear and the outline broader:
--The first charger worked fine downstairs
--It didn't work upstairs until the phone was turned upside down and vertical, and even then it charged rather slowly;
--The outlets upstairs seemed fine and worked properly with other phones so far as I could tell;
--The other chargers I was loaned all worked for the people using them with their own phones, but not my S4. (I did not experiment with turning their phones upside down as I didn't know that issue at the time.)
---Just in case you are wondering, there was no problem charging my phone normally once I got home. It was no longer necessary to turn it upside down. So, it isn't the phone that is defective.

Thus, we have what seems to be properly working phones, chargers, cables and outlets, yet it's not actually functioning until I turn the phone upside down.

What in the world could cause this?

Curious minds. Enjoy the Sunday morning crossword puzzle tomorrow. ;)

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
sounds like the shielding around the warp core was allowing tackion particles to escape and thus causing a charging issue while located upstairs and upside down.

Jonthorne123

May 26, 2017
Visit site
I had very similar experience, charging galaxy 5s phone became more and more difficult and turning it upside down at weird 95 degree angle was only way to get it to work, then it just stopped charging entirely. I tried ordering new charger online to no avail. Did you ever solve this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret