Screen rotation frustration

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I have a Verizon note 4 that has been more than aggravating lately. My screen rotation has all of a sudden started not rotating, or randomly rotating the screen and getting stuck there. I can't take pictures regularly anymore as it always has my camera upside-down now. I don't get it! Haven't installed anything new lately. I have to restart my phone nearly 20 times a day. Any help?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd try to boot your phone in safe mode. That way all 3rd party apps are stopped from running at boot. If your phone still does the same in this mode, it's likely that the hardware sensor might be failing (or has a loose connector or has become unstable), but it could also be a system bug. You could try a full device reset and see if that helps, but if after that the issue persists (before you install any apps), then it's definitely a hardware issue.

If in Safe Mode the problem isn't there, things get a little more complicated to diagnose because then it means than an app is causing problems. That means that you might have to go app by app trying to figure out which one it's making things wonky.

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
So I got the phone to get out of being upside down but now the phone still won't rotate. I've checked the rotate box, restarted, everything, and the phone will only stay in portrait mode now.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
So I got the phone to get out of being upside down but now the phone still won't rotate. I've checked the rotate box, restarted, everything, and the phone will only stay in portrait mode now.

This is going to sound crazy but my wife had the same issue when she first got the phone. Apparently the accelerometer will get stuck sometimes. A couple of firm slaps with your hand at the back of the phone will help unstick it. I did this with my wife's phone and it worked. It's been fine since.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.