Gmail killing my phone's battery. I don't see anywhere in options that asks how often to sync?

yo0123yoyo

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
For my hotmail and outlook account that I have connected to the Gmail app it gives me an option to select how often to sync, for my Gmail accounts, there's no option. This is especially annoying because I recently replacing my dying stock battery with the Anker 6440 mAH extended battery which is double the size yet I'm getting the same battery length. What do I do? Thanks!! ALSO i am rooted, on 5.1.1 and on OK1 firmware.Screenshot_2015-12-29-09-17-53.jpg

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you receive a lot of large attachments on your GMail accounts?

If so, you try try turning off auto-downloading of attachments. It's in GMail Settings, and you have to disable it for each individual account.

yo0123yoyo

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Do you receive a lot of large attachments on your GMail accounts?

If so, you try try turning off auto-downloading of attachments. It's in GMail Settings, and you have to disable it for each individual account.

no i barely receive attachments.. can it be that it is being pushed too often?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You know, some app HAS to be at the top of the list and, since it seems that you don't do much with your phone other than GMail, maybe that's why it is way up there.

I know this would be hard to do (it would for me, anyway) but try charging your phone fully and then go 24 hours (okay, maybe 12) without actually opening the GMail app. If the battery use is still high, then it is related to background tasks such as syncing. If the battery use is lower, then the bulk of it may be foreground tasks such as reading mail.

Since you mentioned IMAP, exactly what type and how many different accounts are you tracking with the GMail app? If only a gmail.com address, then that doesn't, so far as I know, use IMAP at all. But if you are syncing IMAP accounts (such as, I think, yahoo.com accounts) too often, then that may certainly be your problem.

dpen15

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
I would try disconnecting outlook/Hotmail from Gmail and test if it's the app itself or the accounts (hotmail/outlook). I do have Gmail and also have Outlook app for Hotmail on att note 4 5.1.1 an there have been no issue at all. Another thing to try would be to remove all accounts from Gmail, then clear Cache and data (from settings-app manager-gmail), then setup only w/ Gmail account to begin with. If none works, I would even Uninstaller and reinstall the app. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz