I have been flip flopping from iPhone 6s Plus to Android (longtime iPhone user) all Fall and decided to see what the fuss about the Note series was, but didn't want to get too committed to the Note series and get the 5 due to lack of removable battery and sd card. I figured the 4 might be a good start. What do you all think? Yay or nay to the Note 4? Should I have just ponied up the money for a 5?
    12-30-2015 01:52 PM
    If the removable batterie and SD card feature is important to you then stick with the 4!!

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-30-2015 02:04 PM
    My last 5 phones had been blackberry.I was very happy with them.But I wanted a new phone. After doing research I decided to go with the Note 4 over the 5 because I wanted removable battery and sd card.I have had it for 2 weeks. I am very happy with it .I had one small problem but that was easily fixed.I had a SanDisk 32gb sd card in it .It was about a 1.5 yr old.the phone had issue with it.so I read forums and they recommended samsung sd card.i bought a 64 GB card class 10.i put it in phone .placed all my info in it.i have had no problems since.i would recommend note 4.

12-30-2015 02:12 PM
    I have mixed feelings on this phone. Some days I like the s pen, good display, removable battery and expandable storage.
    Other days I hate the lag, the sticky camera, the poor finger print scanner, and carrier bloat.
    Overall it's not a bad phone, but its not a perfect phone either.
    12-30-2015 08:31 PM
    I have mixed feelings on this phone. Some days I like the s pen, good display, removable battery and expandable storage.
    Other days I hate the lag, the sticky camera, the poor finger print scanner, and carrier bloat.
    Overall it's not a bad phone, but its not a perfect phone either.
    You actually should have put OEM firmware on it instead of keeping the branded crap. I am on 5.1.1 with my Note 4 and I am having zero lag. It runs smooth as a phone possibly could. I love everything about it including the 6.5+ hours of screen on time.
    12-30-2015 08:42 PM
    Criz2, are you talking about rooting? If so, where do I learn to do that?
    12-30-2015 08:46 PM
    Criz2, are you talking about rooting? If so, where do I learn to do that?
    XDA Developers. What carrier are you on and do you intend to purchase new on contact?
    12-30-2015 09:22 PM
    I have been flip flopping from iPhone 6s Plus to Android (longtime iPhone user) all Fall and decided to see what the fuss about the Note series was, but didn't want to get too committed to the Note series and get the 5 due to lack of removable battery and sd card. I figured the 4 might be a good start. What do you all think? Yay or nay to the Note 4? Should I have just ponied up the money for a 5?
    If your a long time iPhone user why would you worry or care about removable batter or SD since not part of iPhone.
    I'm on my note 4 now and with 5.1.1 runs supper fast no lag at all and I find has better ram management than my S6...find it faster when multitasking over the S6.
    I would say get note 4 if you don't want to invest to much money one can find one cheap used but if money is no object I would get a N5.
    seacow1500 likes this.
    12-30-2015 09:23 PM
    If your a long time iPhone user why would you worry or care about removable batter or SD since not part of iPhone.
    I'm on my note 4 now and with 5.1.1 runs supper fast no lag at all and I find has better ram management than my S6...find it faster when multitasking over the S6.
    I would say get note 4 if you don't want to invest to much money one can find one cheap used but if money is no object I would get a N5.
    Being a long time iPhone user is exactly why I'm interested in having a removable battery and memory expansion. I've never had the option with iPhone and now the Note 5 has tried to be like an iPhone in that way, thus my choice of the Note 4.
    Sergiusz Jasper likes this.
    12-30-2015 10:02 PM
    XDA Developers. What carrier are you on and do you intend to purchase new on contact?
    I am on AT&T with no contract and no I will not purchase new on contract at least right now.
    12-30-2015 10:05 PM
    Being a long time iPhone user is exactly why I'm interested in having a removable battery and memory expansion. I've never had the option with iPhone and now the Note 5 has tried to be like an iPhone in that way, thus my choice of the Note 4.
    Good point and having SD is a plus as for removable battery not so unless ur a very heavy user....one thing I did was add wireless charging receiver to my note 4 that I got of Amazon.ca
    12-30-2015 10:06 PM
    I am on AT&T with no contract and no I will not purchase new on contract at least right now.
    You'd be better served getting a T-Mobile variant, unlocking it and using that on AT&T. There is no root for AT&T variant of the Note 4.
    huntnyc likes this.
    12-30-2015 10:55 PM
    You'd be better served getting a T-Mobile variant, unlocking it and using that on AT&T. There is no root for AT&T variant of the Note 4.
    I hate AT&T. Of course there's no root for that phone on their network.
    12-31-2015 02:29 AM
    Yeah. Them and Verizon. When I bought in on my Note 4 I knew full well that I wanted an unlocked boot loader in order to be able to root so I ended up buying from T-Mobile, using it for a few days and then canceling and swapping in my AT&T SIM card. So glad I did. Been running custom ROMs for the past year and loving it, current one being Tekxodus.
    12-31-2015 09:13 AM
    I have AT&T also. It wouldn't be so bad if we got updates quick but we don't. That's why I'll probably get either a nexus device or an iPhone for my next phone.
    12-31-2015 11:54 AM
    You have a 6S+. The battery on the Note 4 will never compare to the battery life you get on the 6S+. I still have a Note 4 with an extra battery and yes, it was always nice to just be able to swap batteries and not be tied to the cord for a few hours. I have my Note 4 on KitKat and it is rooted.
    I don't use it for a phone anymore. it's mostly just as a remote for my TV/cable box/receiver.

I've been averaging about 2-3 days standby on my 6S+ and the same with my 6S. Amazing battery life on those two iPhones.

I've been more interested in my iPhone 6S+ and 6S lately. I still have a Note Edge that I have activated as well.
    01-01-2016 11:13 AM
    Stop saying the horrid iphone word in Android please!

01-03-2016 08:54 AM
    You have a 6S+. The battery on the Note 4 will never compare to the battery life you get on the 6S+. I still have a Note 4 with an extra battery and yes, it was always nice to just be able to swap batteries and not be tied to the cord for a few hours. I have my Note 4 on KitKat and it is rooted.
    I don't use it for a phone anymore. it's mostly just as a remote for my TV/cable box/receiver.

I've been averaging about 2-3 days standby on my 6S+ and the same with my 6S. Amazing battery life on those two iPhones.

I've been more interested in my iPhone 6S+ and 6S lately. I still have a Note Edge that I have activated as well.
    Background processes aren't as heavy on iOS devices so stock for stock one will generally always see better standby times on an iOS device.

Wanting low standby drain I totally get, it preserves battery for what's really important, but wanting to go for days without charging I don't. I'm positive 2 days or more of standby time is achievable on a Note 4 with root and tweaking since I've already gotten standby drain on mine down to under 2% per hour. I had to work at it using Xposed w/ Greenify and Amplify though. I still have location services on high accuracy and still leave Wifi enabled as needed, all I've done is reduced wakelocks and frequency of certain sync operations.

So I'd say never being able to see the same kind of standby time as a 6S/6S+ is a true statement stock for stock, but not impossible for one who has the means and desire to achieve it. Should one have to go to extremes to get it? Probably not, but there's clearly some benefit to the way Android is set up which by having more going on in the background gives us added features (like widget updates etc.).

I fail to see the point of repeatedly subjecting my phone to long runs without charging though, and am often confused by those who seem to feel that plugging a device in regularly to top it off is some kind of crime. These devices charge fast enough that I'm sure one can easily find times in the day to recharge, whether it's overnight or during bedtime or morning rituals if overnight charging isn't your thing. What's the big deal in topping off?
    01-03-2016 11:07 AM
    I fail to see the point of repeatedly subjecting my phone to long runs without charging though, and am often confused by those who seem to feel that plugging a device in regularly to top it off is some kind of crime. These devices charge fast enough that I'm sure one can easily find times in the day to recharge, whether it's overnight or during bedtime or morning rituals if overnight charging isn't your thing. What's the big deal in topping off?
    I don't understand why someone would want to keep topping off the battery throughout the day. Why stay tied to a cord? Phones are being designed with long lasting batteries because that's what people want.
    01-04-2016 12:29 PM
    I don't understand why someone would want to keep topping off the battery throughout the day. Why stay tied to a cord? Phones are being designed with long lasting batteries because that's what people want.
    Yeah, I'm not one of those people though, so I'm not advocating that at all. . I'm questioning why people don't top off when they should have the time to do so but instead lament on forums about not being able to squeeze multiple days out of a device's battery. I don't know about everyone else but I most certainly have an hour of so of down time prior to going to bed that I can quickly top off charge on my mobile devices. If in the long run deep cycles are harder on batteries I don't see why I should subject my battery to the added stress so I plug my phone in prior to bed each night to top off and then unplug it when it's at 100. I'd hardly call that tied to a cord any more than I'm tied to attending to personal hygiene or going to sleep.

As I noted earlier, the long standby time is important since one doesn't want unnecessary drain happening throughout the course of a day. I get that . . I just don't get the need to go multiple days when there's opportunity to recharge.
    01-04-2016 01:53 PM
    Note 4 is very laggy. I had the 6s plus too for a week or so, returned it because ios is just too limiting/different compared to Android, and I just cannot go ios. But sheesh that phone ran so smoothly. There is literally 0 lag on iPhones. Even Google services (play music, calendar), run way smoother on iPhones, ironically. If you're getting an android I'd recommend going Nexus, those phones are amazing in terms of performance. I have a 3 year old nexus 4 that performs better than my note 4. The battery just sucks on it and the display is lcd. Overall what's keeping me from upgrading is the note 4's screen. It has lag issues, memory issues, performance issues, battery is mediocre, and the camera is very jittery/ underwhelming... But the screen is just so amazing for reading, watching youtube, etc, which is what I use my phone for mostly. I'd say go with the note 5 or the s6, they have more built in memory and supposedly better performance. But I still see people complaining about the performance on those phones as well! Personally, since you're used to ios, I would just enjoy the amazing phone the 6s plus is, and wait to see what flagships 2016 brings. This is my upgrade year and I can't wait to get a different phone. If the 6s plus had anmoled screen, I'd just drop 1k on the 128gb version and I'd be set for a good 5 or so years.

01-04-2016 05:25 PM
    Note 4 is very laggy. I had the 6s plus too for a week or so, returned it because ios is just too limiting/different compared to Android, and I just cannot go ios. But sheesh that phone ran so smoothly. There is literally 0 lag on iPhones. Even Google services (play music, calendar), run way smoother on iPhones, ironically. If you're getting an android I'd recommend going Nexus, those phones are amazing in terms of performance. I have a 3 year old nexus 4 that performs better than my note 4. The battery just sucks on it and the display is lcd. Overall what's keeping me from upgrading is the note 4's screen. It has lag issues, memory issues, performance issues, battery is mediocre, and the camera is very jittery/ underwhelming... But the screen is just so amazing for reading, watching youtube, etc, which is what I use my phone for mostly. I'd say go with the note 5 or the s6, they have more built in memory and supposedly better performance. But I still see people complaining about the performance on those phones as well! Personally, since you're used to ios, I would just enjoy the amazing phone the 6s plus is, and wait to see what flagships 2016 brings. This is my upgrade year and I can't wait to get a different phone. If the 6s plus had anmoled screen, I'd just drop 1k on the 128gb version and I'd be set for a good 5 or so years.

Depending on what model Note 4 you have, you should look into downgrading to 4.4.4. I'm on 4.4.4 on my Note 4 and Note edge. I'm also back to 4.4.4 on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. All of them run smooth as silk on 4.4.4.
    muzzy996 likes this.
    01-04-2016 05:29 PM