Up until Dec 22nd Phone ran great. Then battery drained by 4:00 when could be 40% at 9pm. Unable to perform factory reset because that functioned was grayed out and error would pop up MDM won't allow factory reset. On phone 2 hrs with Verizon tech support. Battery running hot too. Told to see Samsung at Best Buy. Unable as well to do FR. He called Samsung direct. Seems there was an app on my phone run by Samsung and in complete control of my device. I never downloaded it nor did I know about it. Intrusted Mobile Data...if you ever see this or prompted to download DO NOT...it will disable you from having basic controls. Y I u won't be able to factory reset. Your battery will drain extremely fast and run hot. A 2nd call to Verizon tech by Best Buy got more answers. Samsung was unable to disable or remove and said should had never been on my phone. Verizon tech claimed I did this and I didn't. I consider myself intermediate on technology. I do have wireless sales background. I have never not been able to do a FR. I have never seen it grayed out before. Joel at Best Buy was great. He even said he has never come across this before. The tech from Verizon said she couldnt remove It and said I needed to go to a corporate store. But when Joel ended the call it was gone. And we could proceed with doing the FR. It was no longer blocked from doing.
    Very weird. So far phone seems to be ok. Tomorrow will be the real test. If still issue with battery drain will send me a replacement.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-05-2016 10:48 PM
    Oh wow. That's crazy!
    01-05-2016 11:30 PM
    Yes definitely

01-06-2016 12:21 AM
    Unable to perform factory reset because that functioned was grayed out and error would pop up MDM won't allow factory reset.
    FYI: For future reference, turn phone off, press/hold Volume up, home button. Press/hold Power until blue writing appears top of screen. Release all at that time. Should be able to FR from the BIOS that way. Hope that app is GONE GONE GONE, man!
    01-06-2016 02:57 PM
    FYI: For future reference, turn phone off, press/hold Volume up, home button. Press/hold Power until blue writing appears top of screen. Release all at that time. Should be able to FR from the BIOS that way. Hope that app is GONE GONE GONE, man!
    ^^^^ Yup. A really bad app (especially if you root your device, which makes it a lot easier for apps to do this) can modify the user interface and prevent you from using the menu options to factory reset, but it would be a truly horrible app indeed that could monkey with the bootloader to that extent. And that would be something that would make me not trust the phone even if I were to factory reset it (because if the bootloader got monkeyed with, then the firmware of the phone itself is now suspect).
    01-06-2016 04:23 PM
    Unfortunately it wouldn't work that way as well. Nothing could be done until that app was removed.

01-06-2016 05:57 PM
    The app is gone. Been much better today. Not running hot. Battery improved a little. That was very frustrating

01-06-2016 05:59 PM
    A few thoughts; MDM is Mobile Device Management. Was the phone recently linked to a corporate e-mail account that may have installed/configured management software? If so, that software works with Samsung Knox on the phone to secure it for corporate uses which may have also applied a policy to prevent doing a factory reset (may be Joel or the Verizon tech figured out how to deactivate the policy allowing a reset?). As to "Intrusted Mobile Data", could that have been "Entrust" instead? They have MDM (Mobile Device Management) software as detailed here: https://www.entrust.com/solutions/mobile/
    That's the app and auto correct didn't catch error . I never downloaded it. Very weird it being on my phone. Joel at BB was unable as well as Samsung when he called them. Verizon went remotely into my phone and got rid of it. Unknown even with Verizon how this happened . Samsung thinks I was sold a phone that wasn't for normal use. And it was in the batch of shipment that came to the store. Just glad it has been resolved and should not happen again.
    Thx

01-06-2016 09:52 PM
    That's the app and auto correct didn't catch error . I never downloaded it. Very weird it being on my phone. Joel at BB was unable as well as Samsung when he called them. Verizon went remotely into my phone and got rid of it. Unknown even with Verizon how this happened . Samsung thinks I was sold a phone that wasn't for normal use. And it was in the batch of shipment that came to the store. Just glad it has been resolved and should not happen again.
    Thx

If that happened on my device, I would definitely change login credentials across the board.....
    01-07-2016 12:07 AM
    I have. Am very perplexed as to how and if Verizon hadn't been able to remove it they would be giving me a NEW device. Not refurbished.

01-07-2016 08:07 PM
    If the app had Device Admin, you have to deactivate Device Admin before you can uninstall the app.

I would expect an app like that to have Device Admin.
    01-07-2016 08:14 PM
    No issues now. Thank goodness

sinfoman likes this.
    01-07-2016 09:50 PM
    Bummer about the reset. I've never seen an app that would prevent that button combo. That's NO BUENO! Glad you got it fixed.
    02-15-2016 08:53 AM