02-25-2016 09:05 PM
111 12345
tools
    Updated yesterday. No reset or even cache clear. Back to using only 3.5% battery/hour. Woot Woot!!!
    Was 8-10% (or more) on 5.0.1
    01-12-2016 10:16 AM
    I hate to judge too soon, but hey this is the internet and its what we do . . .

I agree to what other posters have said. My battery life is improved significantly (back to what it was when I bought the phone), and the snappiness to the OS is improved as well. I hope the speed is here to stay and that it is not just due to a fresh install.
    01-12-2016 02:03 PM
    Here is something odd. Under the wifi advanced settings: autoconnect, it says automatically connect to AT&T wifi Hotspot if available. Is that new, and why would a Verizon phone have an auto connect for AT&T wifi?

Posted via the Android Central App
    I hadn't noticed that, but just went and unchecked it. Maybe Verizon is hoping they can save data streaming from their servers by having our phones jump on AT&T when available?
    01-12-2016 03:48 PM
    I've also noticed that you can now see how long your phone has been on battery power

Posted from the one and only Note 4
    Attached Thumbnails Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 OTA soon-screenshot_2016-01-12-19-58-54.jpg  
    01-12-2016 06:59 PM
    Wow, that's a good battery.

01-12-2016 07:30 PM
    I am too noticing much better battery life with the update. I did reset the phone which improved the performance tremendously. I just love how buttery smooth the phone is now.
    01-12-2016 08:53 PM
    What team of idiots came up with the brilliant theory that everyone's lives will be better if their phones have a WiFi Connected notification always showing in the notification pull down?!?!

Un-effing-believable. Total insanity.

I can clearly see I am connected to WiFi by looking at the WiFi symbol in the notification bar. WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE WANT THIS NOTIFICATION ALWAYS ON?

I effing KNEW I should have avoided the 5.1.1 update. I should have followed my gut and skipped it. We have waited this long for 5.1.1 - might as well have waited another forever for Marshmallow....

No, I have no interest in rooting to be able to stop this ridiculous perpetual and useless notification.
    pizza_pablo, PapaDocta and gathome like this.
    01-13-2016 12:12 AM
    What team of idiots came up with the brilliant theory that everyone's lives will be better if their phones have a WiFi Connected notification always showing in the notification pull down?!?!

Un-effing-believable. Total insanity.

I can clearly see I am connected to WiFi by looking at the WiFi symbol in the notification bar. WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE WANT THIS NOTIFICATION ALWAYS ON?

I effing KNEW I should have avoided the 5.1.1 update. I should have followed my gut and skipped it. We have waited this long for 5.1.1 - might as well have waited another forever for Marshmallow....

No, I have no interest in rooting to be able to stop this ridiculous perpetual and useless notification.
    There is no root. If there was it would have already been rooted.
    The wife has the Note 4.
    Haven't got the update yet ,but when we do, I'll be calling big red and asking why there are two wifi notifications.
    Maybe I'll turn the knife and ask about the at&t network.
    01-13-2016 01:15 AM
    AT&T note 4's have the same WI Fi notification and can't clear it from the notification drawer. I checked a friend's AT&T phone yesterday.

01-13-2016 05:16 AM
    The wife's Note 4 still has not received the update.
    I like that it seems smoother and battery life has improved.
    She won't be as bothered by the wifi notification, as I would.
    01-13-2016 10:31 AM
    If anyone should find out how to turn off the ridiculous WiFi notification in the drop-down menu, please post! Thank you in advance!
    01-13-2016 11:27 AM
    Could you please tell me where to find Dev. Options on the Note 4? Been looking for it for a long time! Thank you.
    01-13-2016 11:36 AM
    The wife's Note 4 still has not received the update.
    I like that it seems smoother and battery life has improved.
    She won't be as bothered by the wifi notification, as I would.
    My update didn't appear on its own - I manually checked for updates and then it appeared.
    01-13-2016 12:12 PM
    What's going on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 OTA soon-1452711708695.jpg  
    01-13-2016 01:02 PM
    What's going on here.
    You have an app or apps keeping phone awake. Could need to do a reset to clear cobwebs also. Can't tell from just that photo.
    01-13-2016 04:36 PM
    I just notice that the standby of the battery has improved significantly because of the update. Also the phone is not using a lot of ram this time around. I think the update helped out a lot.

01-13-2016 06:03 PM
    Holy crap. I got this update AND a replacement Note 4 pretty much at the same time. Took a day and a half for my apps to install and even then many were crawling. Turned out that the Google PlayStore app needed to be forced stopped and the cache cleared. Things are working smoothly now.
    01-13-2016 11:19 PM
    This update has restored my faith on this phone. Now there is really no point to switch for awhile. The phone us running buttery smooth. Memory management is great, battery is long, and multitasking is doing what it should have been doing from the beginning. Awesome update. Now praying for 6.0
    min_is_3 likes this.
    01-14-2016 12:04 AM
    This update has restored my faith on this phone. Now there is really no point to switch for awhile. The phone us running buttery smooth. Memory management is great, battery is long, and multitasking is doing what it should have been doing from the beginning. Awesome update. Now praying for 6.0
    I can get behind that. I'm experiencing the same euphoric/nostalgic feelings I first felt when i got this with Kit Kat.

01-14-2016 12:11 AM
    I can get behind that. I'm experiencing the same euphoric/nostalgic feelings I first felt when i got this with Kit Kat.

Though to be honest, if 6.0 makes my laggy again then I'll be happy to stay on 5.1.1!
    01-14-2016 05:55 AM
    I concur. This update made my phone feel brand new again. Very noticeable speed improvement all around.

Under Developer Settings, i changed the animation speeds from 1x to 0.5x and that also made my phone feel much quicker when switching through apps.
    01-14-2016 07:38 AM
    You asked that I provide an update regarding battery life now that I'm on 5.1.1, so here is my purely anecdotal response. Battery life is indeed improved on this new release; however, it is still nowhere near what it was when still on Kit Kat. I can now get through a full day on a single charge, where I could not while on 5.0.1. I'm now on my third day with 5.1.1, so I assume that the usual soak/optimizations after upgrading are done by now. I'd be willing to bet that all of the battery overheating issues on the last OS damaged this battery (I definitely experienced overheating on numerous occasions!). I may get a new battery myself soon if marshmallow isn't released before my battery's performance degrades any further as it ages...

Dankees likes this.
    01-14-2016 07:57 AM
    You asked that I provide an update regarding battery life now that I'm on 5.1.1, so here is my purely anecdotal response. Battery life is indeed improved on this new release; however, it is still nowhere near what it was when still on Kit Kat. I can now get through a full day on a single charge, where I could not while on 5.0.1. I'm now on my third day with 5.1.1, so I assume that the usual soak/optimizations after upgrading are done by now. I'd be willing to bet that all of the battery overheating issues on the last OS damaged this battery (I definitely experienced overheating on numerous occasions!). I may get a new battery myself soon if marshmallow isn't released before my battery's performance degrades any further as it ages...

I think my phone is updating as we speak (which happened upon start-up).

I have a new battery that I can place into the phone after I factory reset. Then, I should be golden.
    01-14-2016 07:59 AM
    For those that have updated, is the multi second lag when switching from camera to the Gallery app gone?
    01-14-2016 09:06 AM
    For those that have updated, is the multi second lag when switching from camera to the Gallery app gone?
    Not for me. I feel like it got worse.

01-14-2016 09:18 AM
111 12345