Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 OTA soon

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Had the same issue, apparently the phone needs to be activated because as soon I inserted an active sim card into Note 4 the update process started.
Yes, since they are pushed out by the carrier your phone will need to be activated to receive the update. Otherwise we could all have updated 6 months ago when samsung first provided the 5.1.1 update instead of waiting on Verizon.

gunzkevin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Since I have my note 4 Verizon on straight talk, will I receive the update? System says my phone is up to date when I check for an update. Anyone have experience with this?

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So let me ask you guys since its been a few days and some people have got to play with it and beat it up....

Are most of the Bigger problems resolved with this update... (Battery life, lag times, Bluetooth...etc)...? and more importantly, are you seeing any new problems that might be related to 5.1.1 ... other than the Wifi Connection Notice at the top...?

I ask because... I have a Note 4 as well and when I upgraded to 5.0.1 I experienced the same problems as most of you are having. Since I use the phone for business and personal, I had to downgrade to 4.4.4 and blocked all updates shortly after which I'm happy that I did.... Anyway, this week I purchased another Note 4 that I"m going to use as a Backup & Test phone with the intention of Installing the latest 5.1.1 and reinstalling my business apps and see how that functions for a while. My is... if its still problematic I can always move the SIM card back over and away I go without any loss or downtime...

But anyway, I just wanted to hear what everyones thoughts are of the update so far....?

Thanks, Rick..

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So let me ask you guys since its been a few days and some people have got to play with it and beat it up....

Are most of the Bigger problems resolved with this update... (Battery life, lag times, Bluetooth...etc)...? and more importantly, are you seeing any new problems that might be related to 5.1.1 ... other than the Wifi Connection Notice at the top...?

I ask because... I have a Note 4 as well and when I upgraded to 5.0.1 I experienced the same problems as most of you are having. Since I use the phone for business and personal, I had to downgrade to 4.4.4 and blocked all updates shortly after which I'm happy that I did.... Anyway, this week I purchased another Note 4 that I"m going to use as a Backup & Test phone with the intention of Installing the latest 5.1.1 and reinstalling my business apps and see how that functions for a while. My is... if its still problematic I can always move the SIM card back over and away I go without any loss or downtime...

But anyway, I just wanted to hear what everyones thoughts are of the update so far....?

Thanks, Rick..
For me, this update made my phone feel brand new. The multi tasking button that would take a few seconds for it to pop up after pressing it is gone. It's almost instant.

I haven't experienced any lag that is of any concern. If there is a stutter, i don't know if it happens because i don't notice any. It's not like something gets hung up and it grabs my attention.

I can't speak about battery life other than it seems fine to me. I'm on my phone constantly so it always feels like my battery is draining fast. That's why i have an external battery pack.

I noticed that my phone doesn't get as warm as it use to when I'm doing a lot of things on my phone. But the one thing i still need to test is over heating when i take like 50 pictures in a row. I took a lot of pictures a few times in pretty quick succession (not burst mode) and i got an over heating message. Did the same thing on my Note 3 and it never had a problem. So, i need to perform that test again with my Note 4 and see if it still happens.

But all-in-all, this was a well needed update. 5.0.1 almost made me get rid of my phone and get a Nexus 6p. But i needed the S-pen, sdcard, and I.R. blaster too much. Boy am i glad i kept the Note 4. Very pleased for another year. Now I'm nervous about getting the Marshmallow update. I hope Verizon takes their time with it because I'm in no rush now.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Min... Thanks for the feedback... hopefully I'll get a few more reply's back.... but so far it looks somewhat promising. My big concern is the battery life and lag... that was the major reason why I went back to 4.4.4 This is also the first that I've heard of the overheating when taking multiple pictures.

I'm with you on the phone too... I love the Note 4 strictly for the removal battery & SD card... not including the battery life and phone size & performance... That's why I picked up another Note 4... just in case something happened... I just hope this update resolves many of the issues...

Anyone else have any comments...?

asianguy80

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I updated since release day and so far I've had nothing but a good experience.

This is the good compared to 5.0.1

• Lag is about 90% gone
  • Recent button works super fast
  • Battery life is about the same or better. I am a heavy user and I normally unplug around 7AM and used to need to charge by 2PM at ~30%. Now it can last until about 3-4pm before it hits 30% and I start charging.
  • Battery hasn't gotten too hot since update. GSAM reported as much as 100 degrees when it got hot. Now it has not passed 90 IIRC.
  • Overall entire phone feels much quicker.

I want to do an FDR because I read somewhere that someone was getting low 1GB ram usage which is surprising to me. After the update I was getting ~1.9GB of ram used up when I restarted even after i wiped the cache and cached data. I don't have the time to set up everything again but I might do it if I ever get the free time to do it. I hate the hassle of having to set up everything again.

qwalls

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
My screen on time went from 5-6 hours with KitKat to about 3 hours with 5.0.1. That was annoying, but I always buy spare batteries and chargers so I could work around it. The worst part of the update was the lag, even after a factory reset. I usually keep my phones 2 years but I was ready to get rid of the Note 4. 5.1.1 pretty much got rid of the lag. Screen on time is slightly improved to 3.5 hours but standby time is greatly improved. I'll be able to wait for the Note 6 now assuming the removable battery and expandable memory return. Otherwise it's looking like LG.

Posted via the Android Central App

MrMELTDOWN

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious to know if, with this update, if I ever get it, if my "OK GOOGLE" voice function will start working again. Also on my Note 4 the "Answer" voice function for incoming calls won't work either. I can fool with the settings and even reset settings to default and get these functions to work for a short time but they just stop working again. What gives ?

Verizon support says to factory reset (their fix for just about everything) but I'm not going to do that just yet because I don't think it will fix those problems. I can't get past first tier support if I don't FR.

Does anyone know if premium camera apps will be able to use all functions such as shutter priority and RAW as they currently won't with this phone ?

Posted via the Android Central App

Droidful

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I updated since release day and so far I've had nothing but a good experience.

This is the good compared to 5.0.1

• Lag is about 90% gone
  • Recent button works super fast
  • Battery life is about the same or better. I am a heavy user and I normally unplug around 7AM and used to need to charge by 2PM at ~30%. Now it can last until about 3-4pm before it hits 30% and I start charging.
  • Battery hasn't gotten too hot since update. GSAM reported as much as 100 degrees when it got hot. Now it has not passed 90 IIRC.
  • Overall entire phone feels much quicker.

I want to do an FDR because I read somewhere that someone was getting low 1GB ram usage which is surprising to me. After the update I was getting ~1.9GB of ram used up when I restarted even after i wiped the cache and cached data. I don't have the time to set up everything again but I might do it if I ever get the free time to do it. I hate the hassle of having to set up everything again.
Curious if you did a complete factory restore prior to updating. I did not notice the recent file button lag so of course I just had to try it. Behold there's a small lag. :-\ I have so much garbage on my locked note4 I just assumed that's why slow and now battery drain too.
I 'm on 4.4.4 blocked the updates so I can still root using king and supersume.

asianguy80

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Curious if you did a complete factory restore prior to updating. I did not notice the recent file button lag so of course I just had to try it. Behold there's a small lag. :-\ I have so much garbage on my locked note4 I just assumed that's why slow and now battery drain too.
When I upgraded from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 the phone was so slow that I had to do an FDR. Before upgrading to 5.1.1 I did not do an FDR. I have had the phone running over 160 hours and its still running like a champ. Usually I would have had to restart the phone after a few days.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

This isn't the first time, I've seen this mentioned, in this thread, as well as the other update thread.
Please, what is the benefit of an FDR, prior to taking an update?
I've always performed the FDR after reading an update, if necessary.

pkrohnert

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
In case anyone is still having trouble with the wifi notification, you can remove it. If you're seeing a notification similar to this:
Connected to "****" (Secure)​
Tap to configure Wi-Fi​
And you want to get rid of this, simply tap on that notifcation,
Tap the menu button (the 3 dots at the top right of the screen),
Tap Advanced,
Un-check the top option for "Wi-Fi notifications"

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone is still having trouble with the wifi notification, you can remove it. If you're seeing a notification similar to this:
Connected to "****" (Secure)​
Tap to configure Wi-Fi​
And you want to get rid of this, simply tap on that notifcation,
Tap the menu button (the 3 dots at the top right of the screen),
Tap Advanced,
Un-check the top option for "Wi-Fi notifications"

Thank you, works perfectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member