Anyone use Android Pay with their Note 4?

icronic

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
+1, but not only THAT.

MM's insistence on entering the Backup Password (like after reboot, if Lock Screen Finger Print secured) GREATLY increases the likelihood that some casual, yet potentially nefarious, "observer" may determine this crucial, ALL UNLOCKING password being entered!

It's another case of attempting to increase "security" by forcing the user to reveal that which should not be revealed.

Think SSN as ID 10 years ago or Customer Service via phone asking for verbal confirmation of details like DOB, Home Address, etc, to ascertain you are you, but you are in a public place where others may hear these responses.

And yes, "they" need to fix this, but HOW?

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Since I've gotten the Marshmallow Update on my Note 4 I have to do these exact steps every time I make a transaction and its annoying. Before the update all I had to do was unlock my phone and then tap and boom, done. Now I'm forced to enter the backup password every time and its annoying because it slows the process down. Any way to fix this?

Thought it was my dying note 4 that was causing this but my replacement is also asking for backup password. Hope they fix this soon.

Carriers? Nacron, I presume you're the same Nacron I've been conversing with on SprintForums?

bounty_hunter68

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes it can be tricky to line up the NFC antenna on the Note 4 with the antenna on the swipe machine.
I have used my note 4 to pay for food at Jimmy Johns and the first time or two i had to find the correct placement for my phone to work with their system. ALSO the cashier had to ask me what form of payment, i said phone, they were lost, i said credit card, that got the machine ready for my phone to pay. So its possible their POS might require them to select CC for it to work.

How and where did you place your phone? Really struggling with this and wishing I'd stuck with iPhone, SO much easier!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Find a company that actually has it working on their end, then use your phone with them a couple times to practice finding that sweet spot on your phone.
On my note 4 it was 1/4 away from the top on the back side, centered. But i found that by going to McDonalds a couple of times early on and testing it out. Then wallgreens and by the time i used it at Jimmy Johns it worked every time.
The only difference is the vendor using the card machine, Some have wider area to set the phone down and others are narrow.

Ted Dennison

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Find a company that actually has it working on their end, then use your phone with them a couple times to practice finding that sweet spot on your phone.
On my note 4 it was 1/4 away from the top on the back side, centered.

On the back? I'm having this same problem, and I'm now wondering if my phone case could be part of the issue. On the back of the phone, its rubber, backed by leather. There's probably a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch of material there.

Another part of the problem is that I'm never the only person in the store, so chewing up several minutes of time of the cachier and all the poor saps waiting behind me while I incompetently futz with my phone just seems criminally inconsiderate. I can't bring myself to do it.

I don't suppose one of you fine folks who has it working on a Note 4 could post a short Youtube vid of doing it properly? Some of the explanations appear to be greatly confusing to myself and others here.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
NFC is extremely sensitive and low power. having a thick case around it will cause it to not work.
Thin case yes, thick case no.
Take you case off to test it.

UppityNegro

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
Since I've gotten the Marshmallow Update on my Note 4 I have to do these exact steps every time I make a transaction and its annoying. Before the update all I had to do was unlock my phone and then tap and boom, done. Now I'm forced to enter the backup password every time and its annoying because it slows the process down. Any way to fix this?

I have had this same issue with my note 4 since the MM update. Still no fix in 2018.