02-17-2018 05:19 AM
152 12345 ...
tools
    Not seen this on my note 4 yet
    04-22-2016 09:37 AM
    I'm glad to see this thread!

After the last OS update which I received a couple of weeks ago, my note 4 randomly reboots itself several times a day. I have done both a soft reset and hard reset to no avail. I have also reset my SD card and SIM card as well as swapped my battery out.

I have also gone through all my apps and uninstalled everything that I haven't used in a while.

Never had any problems with N4 until the last update over the Sprint network.
    indysteve9 likes this.
    04-22-2016 11:13 AM
    I too had the problem of random reboots. I tried all the suggestions on fixing the problem except removing the SD card. I removed it day before yesterday and up to this morning, no reboots. So I installed a new SD card this morning and so far no reboots. I hope this fixed my problem. We'll see. Fingers crossed.
    04-22-2016 01:08 PM
    I too had the problem of random reboots. I tried all the suggestions on fixing the problem except removing the SD card. I removed it day before yesterday and up to this morning, no reboots. So I installed a new SD card this morning and so far no reboots. I hope this fixed my problem. We'll see. Fingers crossed.
    Did you format it in the phone? I'm curious as to whether this has an effect or not. My 128GB card was formatted on a PC and I've had about 100GB of data on it for months without a problem (Sprint N4, Marshmallow).
    04-22-2016 01:16 PM
    Did you format it in the phone? I'm curious as to whether this has an effect or not. My 128GB card was formatted on a PC and I've had about 100GB of data on it for months without a problem (Sprint N4, Marshmallow).
    Yes, and I've only moved a few items to it so far. Baby steps to see the effects.
    04-22-2016 01:20 PM
    It has been just shy of 12 hours since I pulled my SD card. Have not had a reboot all day. The SD card message has also not been popping up in notifications.

It appears, so far anyways, that the latest update causes some sort of glitch with certain SD cards. For the record I was using a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB. As far as I remember it was the top class one when I bought it.

If I do get a random reboot happen again I will update. So far though so good. I will have to decide if I want to try buying another SD card or not.
    04-22-2016 10:28 PM
    Ive had these issues with no SD card at all, is anyone else?
    04-23-2016 03:02 PM
    Well, a follow up on my random rebooting. I had taken out the old SD card and installed a new one. I went 24 hrs. without a reboot. But then the following day I had two reboots back to back. So I removed the new SD card. So, 3 days later and I've had no random reboots. So I would say there are some serious bugs in Marshmallow concerning SD cards for some people. I guess I'll have to live without an SD card until they come out with 6.0.2 or higher that fixes the problem.
    monsieurms likes this.
    04-26-2016 04:05 PM
    Same problem here. Everything running fine for the last 16 months. Got the 6.0.1 OTA update about two weeks ago and noticed freezes and reboots in various apps right away. Phone randomly was starting to heat up too for no apparent reason. Frequency of reboots increased as time went on. Hit critical yesterday. Got so bad I had to use Kies3 to re-image the phone. Wondering if the heating has damaged the memory. Putting the unit in the freezer part of the fridge for 10 minutes seems to help it stay running for 30 to 40 minutes as opposed to 5 minutes. Wiped all the caches twice and have reloaded the system two or three times now. Out of warranty. Out of patience with Samsung. Apparently they are the top of the list for component failure in phones now. My Note 2 did the same after about a year and a half. Looking at the LG or (gulp) iPhone 7 in the fall. Limping along on an old reliable HTC M7 until this gets resolved. Grrr.
    06-23-2016 12:41 AM
    I've had the Samsung Note 4 (Verizon) SM-N910V .... Almost a Year... worked great.. went seemingly weeks without rebooting... Never turned it off. Then When I got the Patch for 6.0.1 Marshmallow... It started random reboots... at least once a day and sometimes many times... required text password rentry and not the finger print swipe. When will this get fixed? Just checked and there was no new update. I say there is something in the Marshallow code perhaps they didn't use enough corn starch and it makes them sticky.... ;-)
    07-16-2016 09:16 PM
    I have had similar rebooting problems with my Note 4. Like others it all started with the Marshmallow update as the phone would very sporadically reboot, usually 6-10 times per week. I had no issues before and really loved my 32gb Verizon Note 4. The reboots would happen at random, sometimes when under heavy workload and sometimes I'd pick up my phone after an hour of non use charging to find a password prompt because the phone had rebooted. After having the phone reboot during a VERY important business call, I was fed up and began investigating solutions.

Many suggestions I saw online said to try a factory reset. I hate having to factory reset, it's an absolute bear getting my home screen back to the way it was. But to fix my phone, I bit the bullet and did it. No dice, the rebooting persisted.

Next I got on the phone with samsung and long story short, ended up making a thirty minute drive to my nearest best buy to have them reflash the software. The tech there was very nice and helpful. After performing the reflash he advised me to call samsung if the issues persisted. For about 48 hours I was convinced the issue was behind me and my beloved Note. But once again the phone cracked and rebooted in the middle of a workout at the gym.

The next step was to call samsung as the Best Buy tech had instructed. I phoned them up and had a repair scheduled. The guy also informed me that the samsung 1 year warranty had just recently expired. I agreed to send it in and was provided a free shipping label. After a few days, I got an email saying the techs had received the phone and done their inspections.

I was going to be charged about $70 to fix the phone and have it sent back to me. Now I must admit, this isn't a bad price to supposedly fix the issue but I must preface it by saying my phone was in IMMACULATE condition. It's been in a very durable case all its life and never outside a tempered glass screen protector for more than five minutes. It's what angered me most about having to pay for the repairs, they weren't my fault. I'll also add that my phone is my daily workhorse (as I'm sure it is most for most). I need my phone to handle every daily task I throw at it without a hitch, exactly the selling point of the Note line. The Note is marketed as a phone for the power user. One that needs something a little more than an ordinary phone.

As a last ditch effort, I called Samsung again to dispute the fee. The guy was once again very helpful and told me some parts needed to be replaced. That seemed odd to me given that I had taken such good care of my device. I had him call the service center but they were no help. They told him they were replacing 'general parts'. 'Nothing specific'. But then when I eventually paid the $70 the description of my repair stated 'Software Update / Mobile OS Updates / Software Reflash HEZ21'. No mention of parts replacement. Also no mention of what exactly the issue with my phone was.

At this point my phone is on it's way back and I've made up my mind for what I'm going to do. Sell the Note and buy a Nexus 6P. Based on the widespread difficulty people are having, it seems the Marshmallow update is the main catalyst for the issue. A common theme with android phones that have skins over android is that they don't age well. Issues pop up and phones bog down with each new version of android, especially on heavy skins like TouchWiz. A shame really given the impressive hardware and the fact that it's one of the last flagships to have a removable battery in addition to expandable storage. It's really a phone that should've lasted for my full two year contract but is let down by half baked poorly optimized software. I'll really miss having the S Pen for doodles.

Anyone else please let me know if you've had a similar experience!
    reyno2466 likes this.
    07-17-2016 01:59 AM
    I'm on Sprint and have had Marshmallow since just a couple of days after it was pushed out a few months ago.

My freezing and reboot problems started just a week ago. It will occasionally get crazy bogged down doing just a simple task like scrolling through the gallery or opening Chrome. Sometimes, after maybe 20-30 second, it might "catch back up", other times it may reboot entirely. Other times, simply opening/unlocking the phone may cause reboot. Sometimes, I suspect that it's rebooted while in my pocket due to having the incessant SD notification (which would have otherwise already been swiped away).

This has been happening for about a week now, and happens 5-10 times per day. I haven't installed any new apps, so I doubt the problem stems from one. Although, I DO have quite a few apps that COULD be updated, I'd prefer not update many of them based on poor app reviews after updates.

If I have read things correctly, it sounds that some have had luck with this problem by simply removing their SD card altogether. I guess I'll try this today.

I actually thought my N4's overall performance had improved after receiving Marshmallow... up until a week ago.
    07-17-2016 11:56 AM
    I'm glad I found this thread!

I have a Galaxy Note 4 on T-Mobile. My phone started to suddenly behave in this manner with the constant lag, crashes, and restarts about two days ago. Initially, I thought it was the battery, so I ordered a new one. The day before yesterday, I received the "mmc_read fail" error. I contacted T-Mobile and the representative suggested it was a software failure. She pushed a replacement. I got my replacement phone today.

I believe it was the Marshmallow update. I'm not going to install it on my new phone until it's fixed. I kept my old phone on Ultra Power Saving Mode to preserve its battery life. It reduced the constant crashes and restarts. It's disappointing because I'd like to have the latest update on my phone, but not at the expense of damaging it.
    07-19-2016 08:05 PM
    I've had the Samsung Note 4 (Verizon) SM-N910V .... Almost a Year... worked great.. went seemingly weeks without rebooting... Never turned it off. Then When I got the Patch for 6.0.1 Marshmallow... It started random reboots... at least once a day and sometimes many times... required text password rentry and not the finger print swipe. When will this get fixed? Just checked and there was no new update. I say there is something in the Marshallow code perhaps they didn't use enough corn starch and it makes them sticky.... ;-)
    Same here. I have the Note 4 on Verizon Wireless. Never had any issues with the phone until the 6.0.1 update. Now the phone reboots at least once a day. Very frustrating.
    07-25-2016 07:54 AM
    I have the same problem but mine was doing it BEFORE the Marshmallow update. Updating it to Marshmallow didn't help either. It was out of warranty so I rooted it and flashed it with other roms and it was doing the same thing so I came to the conclusion that it's a hardware issue. I searched other sites / threads and people are having the same problem - with motherboard replacement seems to solve the issue.

I tried to send it in to Samsung for repair but they wouldn't even touch it because they said it's been rooted. It was still under the extended warranty by my credit card company so I got the full $795 back! Now I'm trying to decide if I should get a Note 4 Edge instead or the new Note 7 or something else entirely different but I do miss my note. I'm using a HTC Butterfly 2 as a backup and that's been updated to Marshmallow without any problem. I'm more likely to take another chance with the Note with the Note 7 since I didn't have any problem with the Note 2 before.

This Note 4 problem just happened one day out of the blue, rebooting randomly, sometimes several times in a 5 minute period but then it won't do it for the entire 14 hour drive to Florida with Google Map navigation running. Weird. :S
    08-06-2016 07:42 PM
    I am assuming everyone with this issue is using a 64gb sd card??

I had the same issues. Everything I read ties it to an issue between the update and the memory card, so I tried 2 different 64gb cards, and still had the issues. I tried a microcenter branded card, a Samsung card, and a PNY). I replaced the 64gb card with a 16gb card, and haven't had a reboot in several weeks.

I hope they get this sorted out, so I can go back to my larger card.
    08-07-2016 09:32 AM
    I am assuming everyone with this issue is using a 64gb sd card??

I had the same issues. Everything I read ties it to an issue between the update and the memory card, so I tried 2 different 64gb cards, and still had the issues. I tried a microcenter branded card, a Samsung card, and a PNY). I replaced the 64gb card with a 16gb card, and haven't had a reboot in several weeks.

I hope they get this sorted out, so I can go back to my larger card.
    I'm running with a 128GB Samsung EVO card on MM without any reboots.
    08-07-2016 09:59 AM
    I run 64GB card with having these problems. However, after reading someone else's thoughts relating these problems to the simply using an SD card, I completely removed mine for about a week. Doing this DID NOT solve my problems. It would still freeze and/or reboot pretty frequently.

I'm contemplating learning how to root and rolling back to Lollipop or KitKat. Is this even possible to do? Has anyone attempted this?

Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction for accomplishing this? I've Googled this a bit, but have seen too many differing ways. Which is the best/easiest/safest way? I have absolutely ZERO experience at rooting, etc.
    reyno2466 likes this.
    08-07-2016 11:19 AM
    My Verizon Note 4 has started lagging, freezing, then rebooting. It just started yesterday July 7, 2016.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-08-2016 04:24 AM
    I run 64GB card with having these problems. However, after reading someone else's thoughts relating these problems to the simply using an SD card, I completely removed mine for about a week. Doing this DID NOT solve my problems. It would still freeze and/or reboot pretty frequently.

I'm contemplating learning how to root and rolling back to Lollipop or KitKat. Is this even possible to do? Has anyone attempted this?

Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction for accomplishing this? I've Googled this a bit, but have seen too many differing ways. Which is the best/easiest/safest way? I have absolutely ZERO experience at rooting, etc.
    Maybe this will help:
    Galaxy Note 4: How to Downgrade to Android 4.4.4 KitKat
    let us know it goes.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-08-2016 05:47 PM
    Same issue since last week here.Removing SD card, even SIM card, factory reset : no cure.....
    I could solve the problem by installing WakeLock app (free) from Play Store. Configure it to PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK.
    08-09-2016 05:39 AM
    Has a factory reset or Odin to stock actually fixed this for anyone? Just started last night for me after 20 months of flawless performance outside of known software bugs...
    08-10-2016 05:12 PM
    Has a factory reset or Odin to stock actually fixed this for anyone? Just started last night for me after 20 months of flawless performance outside of known software bugs...
    Didn't fix it... Neither did removing the sd, rolling back to KK, or tweaking wake lock permissions.

Bugs like these are how people end up with glitzy glass wrapped upgrades
    08-10-2016 08:48 PM
    I have only had my Note 4 since October 2015 and it is doing the same thing since Marshmallow. Random lag, unresponsive to touch, spontaneous reboot multiple times within a couple of hours. I regularly swap between 3 different Samsung batteries and I don't think it has anything to do with the batteries. I did a factory reset, partition cache wipe, and pulled the SD card and SIM. It has rebooted twice since I picked it up about 40 minutes ago. It's funny because I had serious issues with a Note 4 on Verizon when it was upgraded to Lollipop. So I am not wasting time - called Tmobile and they are replacing it under warranty. I fully anticipate having additional problems with the new Note 4 but hopefully it will last longer than 10 months.
    08-15-2016 03:36 AM
    I'm running a custom ROM on my Note 4 so I haven't had any problems with lag or crashing or rebooting.

I was running Lollipop on my Note 4 until about two weeks ago. The only way I wanted to go to MM was with a custom ROM just as I was running when I was on Lollipop.
    08-15-2016 08:53 AM
152 12345 ...