New Speed Charge/Battery Status Lock Screen with annoying ads "just appeared" on GN4

charles wheatcroft

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I do not believe it came with the phone, unless you bought it used and the adware is there from an app from a prior person that was still on the phone. It came with something else, and is programmed to recognize when the charger is connected. So when you touch anything to light up the screen to use the phone, this adware app runs. Has a few useful things, like the percentage of charge and stuff, but it's sole benefit to the people who forced it on you is that it shows the ads that they make money off of. In my case, it came with Z Camera so I uninstalled it and the new SWIPE to OPEN screen is gone. I expect that this type of adware is being used by several app developers so good luck to all finding out on which app the adware piggy-backed into your phone so you can uninstall that app.

I've not had any of the apps mentioned as the possible culprit.

On the lock screen the ads were sitting along with the current battery status. I tapped the three dots in the top right and switched off the only option. This stopped the ads.

swiftkitten

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Uninstalling "Z camera" fixed the problem for me, too!! THANK YOU!!!!:D

I don't think that it is Samsung. I started getting the same screen last night and I have been following this string all day. I got about 18 updates last night in Play Store and I didn't start seeing the blue speedcharge screen until after that. Finally went into my applications manager and looked for apps that did not down load and the only ones that I saw came from the virtual reality software that came with the phone (Galaxy S7). It was Cirque du Soleil and Strangers. I uninstalled those along with some camera apps that I had like Bestie and Z Camera and the problem seems to be solved. I just don't know which apps were causing the problem. I did do some research on the Cirque du Soleil and Strangers apps and they seem to be legit. The camera apps that I uninstalled did update right before I started seeing that blue screen though. I hope this helps.

Justinlucas

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
OK, I finally figured out why it's behaving this way: there is a new setting under Advanced, called 'Quick Charging'. I don't know what, if anything, this actually does, beyond setting up that ***obnxious*** fake lock screen.

I do have a screenshot, but I can't figure out how to attach it via the mobile page.

What phone?? I have the same thing on my s6 edge?

daehttub01

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I had two unwanted unknown lockscreens popup. The most intrusive and obnoxious one was from the CleanMaster by Cheetah and its unwanted add ons. The other was from the Peel remote control application. I made sure to remove everything by Cheetah. They are the ones that ruined the News Republic App. I wish them a death by a thousand paper cuts. The Peel
slide to unlock screen doesn't come up thar often and I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of it since I need my Peel remote control app...

Lmonk1

May 13, 2017
Visit site
HELP PLEASE :(
I get the same thing when I charge and also when I don't charge I get the same background with adds apart from I don't get the speed charge bit, instead I get a clock with weather and dates. There are no 3 dots at the top so I can't even turn it off. I never had Z camera installed or any GO apps that I know of.
I have read through this thread but the only thing I can relate to is that my S6 did a load of updates the other night. I have uninstalled all the apps so I am down to the following:
Spotify, Reddit, snapchat, instagram, discord, youtube, whatsapp, twitter, facebook, messenger, gmail, maps. bs sport,bbc news, imdb, drive, pga tour. None of these produce adds, but thats all ive got apart from the originals already on there like google, word, powerpoont, excel, gallery, sms, and so on. I really don't know what to do?
Thanks

klasdude

May 28, 2016
Visit site
:) I see a lot of information on deleting apps but I think I found the solution below. When that lock screen is up, look in the upper right hand corner and you will see 3 dots. Tap those dots and you can disable that screen from there. I didn't have Kitty Cat, Z camera or Go apps on my phone and this fixed my problem.

madmartian

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
The "Best Me Selfie" app just added this "feature". I consider hijacking the lockscreen to be malicious and reported it to Google as a malicious app. If everyone reports these hijacking apps they will have to stop doing their hijacking or Google will remove them.

Ell_Rae

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a galaxy s5, no z-camera or kitty play, and I just recently had this appear on my phone about a week ago. It prevents my smart alarm from going off when it's plugged in and I don't know how to shut it off. It's so irritating.

carlsbad

Aug 10, 2017
Visit site
I had the same screen. The only ap I had installed lately was a flashlight ap so I deleted it and problem appears to be solved. Unfortunately, I didn't check to see which free flashlight ap it was.

--Jerry

kbennett65

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had this issue in a long time and this morning the stupid "speed charge" lock screen appeared. The only updates that ran overnight were Maps, Amazon music, Google fit, Audiobooks from Audible and Next Radio. Of these the only one that clearly stated it showed ads was Next Radio so I uninstalled that. Speed charge screen is now gone so I'm guessing that was the culprit this time. I never used Next Radio anyway, it was a Sprint bloatware that I just never bothered to uninstall before.

I have a Galaxy S8+, Android 7.0 and while I love most things about it I can't figure out an easy way to find an app that's running in the background that might be causing this speed charge lock screen. Is there an easier way than just guessing which recently updated app might be the problem? It sure seems from reading various forums that a lot of apps are known to cause the issue, but I have none of those apps installed.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S8+, Android 7.0 and while I love most things about it I can't figure out an easy way to find an app that's running in the background that might be causing this speed charge lock screen. Is there an easier way than just guessing which recently updated app might be the problem? It sure seems from reading various forums that a lot of apps are known to cause the issue, but I have none of those apps installed.

I used to use an app called "Ad Network Detector" which scoured through your phone and listed all the ad networks on there, and which apps used which networks. I think that app was incompatible with the newer "apps can only see their own data" security improvement in Android 5.x, though, so that option is gone.

I don't know of a way, and the part that is really annoying is when you have auto-updates on and an app adds it in, or (in the case of my wife's phone) if you are trying to support someone else's phone. In her case, ES threw a new "charging lockscreen" and she didn't find it annoying enough to mention it for several weeks, so it was only because it also happened to me that I knew where to look (there's a slider to turn that one off, but uninstalling ES worked better).

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I used to use an app called "Ad network detector" but it stopped working on the Note for a while back.

Looking around again, I found one that does work on my Note 4 today.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...spot.swisscodemonkeys.detector&token=xfUD7pcw

** Disclaimer: I know little about this app other than it seems to work fine and its requested permissions do not seem excessive to me personally. Please review app permissions and make your own informed decision.

Go into "Show Concerns", "Ad Networks" and you can see a list of ad networks installed on your phone and which apps use which networks.

If you have a single app that uses a bunch of ad networks and it is the only app that uses them, it's probably a great idea to reconsider how badly you need that app.

As a side bonus, it does a nice quick breakdown of what apps can access various things on your phone.

supergeoffy

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
This started happening on my Galaxy S7 a couple of weeks ago following an Android update. I suspect it's buried in the phone. Frankly getting tired of being barraged by ads from Google to the point in actually thinking of switching back to iOS, the ad blockers never seem to have worked too well for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Frankly getting tired of being barraged by ads from Google to the point in actually thinking of switching back to iOS, the ad blockers never seem to have worked too well for me.

Google isn't directly responsible for the ads -- it's due to adware associated with some app. On Samsung phones, Peel Remote is a common culprit. If disabling that app doesn't help, then uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

MadeeBee

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
I had the same thing today on my GS8. It was from an app called S Photo Editor. It added the ads on my Lock Screen as well as to the top of my Notifications shade when I pulled it down to see all my notifications.

Uninstalled about an hour ago and so far no more ads.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish