Lost Phone > File Claim > Phone Shipped > Phone Found > New Phone in Mail

Aloupha

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I think my topic title is pretty self-explanatory. However, here it goes....

I somehow put my phone on top of my visor in my car. This is a place I have never placed my phone before. I am not sure how I ended doing that. I parked my car and went to work. When I got to work, I couldn't find my phone. I retraced my step back to my car, and I couldn't find the phone. I called it from my work phone, and of course I couldn't find it since I was at my desk. I attempted to use Android Device Manager to locate the phone, and the phone showed as "unavailable." I am not sure why, and since I had lost my phone at work about four months ago, I came to the conclusion that I must have left/dropped it somewhere between leaving my CAR and getting to my desk and someone found it. This person did not intend to return it, so he/she turned the phone off.

I filed a lost/stolen claim with Asurion, and the claim was approved. Asurion already shipped the phone. When I got off work and got to my CAR, I then noticed that my phone was on top of the visor. There is nothing wrong with the phone, and it is basically only less than four months old. I want to keep my phone. I have spent the past hour researching what happens when you find your lost phone that you already filed a claim for, and I did not really find my specific scenario. One thing is clear: the "lost" phone legally belongs to the insurance company and must be returned if/when found.

However, here's my concern: although I am getting an upgraded model (I have the Note 4, and I am getting the note 5), I don't really want the new phone since I have found my phone. However, I do not want Asurion to impose keeping my $200 bucks and having me return a perfectly good phone with no issues. I want to "reject" their new phone, since I have not received it, get a refund, and continue using my phone. However, based on what I have read so far, once a phone is reported as stolen, the ESM is deactivated and blacklisted (sometime, that is not really the case from what I have read), I may not be "able" or "allowed" to keep my phone and must keep the new one I have not received or used (by the way, it should already be activated when I do receive it). I really want to keep my phone.

I understand that Asurion would be the one who can address my concern, but I am wondering if anyone has been in my shoes. I am not talking about finding your phone after you've received the new one AND used it. I am talking about even before you receive the new phone... and when you do receive the new one, you do not use it.

Thoughts?

Aloupha

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It appears that I was concerned for no reason. I called the ins co, and I was told all I needed to do is refuse the package when it gets to me, and I should be fine. I tried making calls, and I wasn't able to. So, I called Sprint and I was able to take care of that without speaking to anybody.

The insurance company did tell me that they won't clear my ESN until they receive the refused phone. Hopefully, I won't get into a battle with them about the bill, which I was told would be getting rid of after they receive the package.

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lost Phone > File Claim > Phone Shipped > Phone Found > New Phone in Mail

Strange. My insurance company said that first thing I need to do is to report the loss to my provider to get handset locked. That's their only condition before making a claim. When the phone is locked - insurer can check it online (imei). But that's UK rule. New phone came free of charge of course

Meymey27

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
It appears that I was concerned for no reason. I called the ins co, and I was told all I needed to do is refuse the package when it gets to me, and I should be fine. I tried making calls, and I wasn't able to. So, I called Sprint and I was able to take care of that without speaking to anybody.

The insurance company did tell me that they won't clear my ESN until they receive the refused phone. Hopefully, I won't get into a battle with them about the bill, which I was told would be getting rid of after they receive the package.

Hello! Just a quick question, how did it goes with your phone and refund? I actually had the same problem, lost the phone, file a claim, found the phone, (called the ins Co what to do since I already found my phone, and they said the same thing, just decline the package and have it returned to the sender, and then they will give me my refund). Does everything went well in your case? Did they clear your ESN? Coz I cant make calls with my lost phone, maybe they alreadd deactivated it, since I'll be getting a new one. Thank you in advance for your response.