Anyone else get caught up in hunger for something new only to remember that everything Samsung has put out since the note 4 has been a downgrade?

I'm mighty disappointed in myself that while moaning about my diminishing battery life on the note 4 I almost bought a phone that wouldn't even let me replace the battery when it starts to get old.
    Whorizon2112, huntnyc and AXEL314 like this.
    03-03-2016 09:16 PM
    I seriously doubt you're alone in that sentiment - it seems like they made up for it with better software, proccessor and a larger battery (as well as fast charging) for most users - but for those who cannot live without swapping batteries obviously it doesn't have that feature.
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-03-2016 09:36 PM
    That's a very different title than I typed...
    03-03-2016 09:47 PM
    You know, I've been trying to wrap my head round a couple of Samsung's 'decisions.'

I do like to be able to replace and/or swap out batteries. Whether it's because the battery gets old and needs replacing, or just being able to go to a freshy-charged battery while I charge the 'dead' one. I really like the idea of using a micro-sd card for additional memory too. I take a boatload of pictures and videos. Add to that the videos and songs I download, and 32gb onboard memory just isn't enough. Of course, if you're willing to pony up the extra bread, there are 64GB and 128GB models too.

Maybe they use non-removable batteries so that we can't use possibly inferior replacements? I just don't know. We can still use cases with built-in battery packs, but they add a LOT to the total size of the phone. And the battery is slightly smaller than the one in Note 4 too.

Smaller 8-core, 64-bit processors SHOULD be able to run rings round 4-core, 32-bit counterparts, and do it running cooler. Note 5 is suppose to use 4 GB DDR4 too (I think). Wider, faster processors with faster FSB's SHOULD be a step forward in power.

I have to wonder about making the front and back panels of glass. It WILL look good to some, but even using Gorilla Glass 4, I wonder about its strength! How is this puppy going to look after its first quick trip to the floor?
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-04-2016 02:27 AM
    Well, I am using my Note 4 for one last week. I pre-ordered the S7 Edge, and I am not going to cancel. Yes, I am sorry to lose the removable battery, but it isn’t a deal breaker, like the loss of the SD slot in the S6 and Note 5. But, that’s my choice, and you might have a different one.
    03-04-2016 06:41 AM
    Are you aware that the battery has a capacity of 3600mAh? That's not a downgrade. BUT I do agree. I think removable batteries are important. The only plus side to having a non-removable battery is the potential for water resistance. That's going to be a huge selling feature for the S7 series. That's the only plus side. That's it. There is no other reasonable benefit. If a non-removable battery fanboy wants to argue, I'm here waiting.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-04-2016 06:58 AM
    You know, I've been trying to wrap my head round a couple of Samsung's 'decisions.'

I do like to be able to replace and/or swap out batteries. Whether it's because the battery gets old and needs replacing, or just being able to go to a freshy-charged battery while I charge the 'dead' one. I really like the idea of using a micro-sd card for additional memory too. I take a boatload of pictures and videos. Add to that the videos and songs I download, and 32gb onboard memory just isn't enough. Of course, if you're willing to pony up the extra bread, there are 64GB and 128GB models too.

Maybe they use non-removable batteries so that we can't use possibly inferior replacements? I just don't know. We can still use cases with built-in battery packs, but they add a LOT to the total size of the phone. And the battery is slightly smaller than the one in Note 4 too.

Smaller 8-core, 64-bit processors SHOULD be able to run rings round 4-core, 32-bit counterparts, and do it running cooler. Note 5 is suppose to use 4 GB DDR4 too (I think). Wider, faster processors with faster FSB's SHOULD be a step forward in power.

I have to wonder about making the front and back panels of glass. It WILL look good to some, but even using Gorilla Glass 4, I wonder about its strength! How is this puppy going to look after its first quick trip to the floor?
    If you're referring to the S7 edge having a smaller battery than the Note 4, you're mistaken. Note 4 = 3220mAh , S7 Edge = 3600mAh. But if you're comparing the Note 5 to the Note 4, then you are correct. The Note 5 only has a 3000mAh battery

03-04-2016 07:01 AM
    That's a very different title than I typed...
    Original: just cancelled my s7 edge preorder
    New: I just cancelled my s7 edge preorder because the Note 4 has a removable battery

The new title includes the original words in the same order and adds clarification about what the thread is about. Fixing thread titles in order to enhance clarity is very common. In February over 5% of new thread titles had to be corrected by moderators in order to properly reflect the subject of the content. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns about this.
    Laura Knotek and Soreloser like this.
    03-04-2016 08:55 AM
    If you're referring to the S7 edge having a smaller battery than the Note 4, you're mistaken. Note 4 = 3220mAh , S7 Edge = 3600mAh. But if you're comparing the Note 5 to the Note 4, then you are correct. The Note 5 only has a 3000mAh battery

I don't mind non-removable provided its still relatively easy to service. Removing glass panels using heat and hoping nothing cracks or one can get things back together nicely again isn't fun. Someday, sooner or later batteries need replacement so the main benefit to non-removable is to Samsung whereby more people are likely to buy another phone as long as the battery lasts until the next big thing.

In large part why I went T-Mobile Note 4 to use on AT&T is unlocked bootloader so that I could flash custom ROMs in an effort to squeeze out more from the device. Very happy with that decision.
    03-04-2016 08:55 AM
    I wanted to love my Note 4, but it has made it extremely difficult to do so. Battery life has SUCKED since about December '14 (2 months after I got it) when AT&T pushed a small update. I had to have the unit replaced twice under warranty due to a crackling camera focus problem, and then the screen going completely white and unresponsive on the next. Therefore, I have had 3 units and they all had the same problem. I did factory resets and then added my apps back one at a time, but the battery issues existed right from the reset.

I plan to wait and see what the Note 6 is, but most likely I will update to the S7 Edge. I love being able to remove my battery on the Note 4, but i'm sick of the crap battery life.
    03-04-2016 09:20 AM
    My perception, which is mostly based on the forums and my friends and therefore might not represent "normal", is that many people are beginning to upgrade far more often. Whereas people used to have 2 year contracts and sometimes wait even longer than that, with device payment plans many people are upgrading AT LEAST once a year. That might make it easier for Samsung to justify using a larger sealed battery rather than a smaller removable one.

That's the only plus side. That's it. There is no other reasonable benefit.
    There are a few other engineering and design benefits, such as how they are mitigating heat, less movable parts (and thus less likely to break), etc. It'd be extremely difficult for them to move to the glass backs that they've become fond of while making those removable. From a design standpoint, while I'm sure it is possible, it would be immensely difficult to make the S7 or S7 Edge with a removable battery in any form that resembles what they came up with. LG had an interesting idea by having the lower portion of the device removable, rather than the back and I'm sure Samsung could figure out a way to be just as creative - but that would come along with some obvious compromises.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-04-2016 12:42 PM
    Samsung went backwards on the SD card and claims that it was at least partially due to customer demand. They could be hoping to do that with batteries and just not know how to implement it yet.
    03-04-2016 12:48 PM
    My perception, which is mostly based on the forums and my friends and therefore might not represent "normal", is that many people are beginning to upgrade far more often. Whereas people used to have 2 year contracts and sometimes wait even longer than that, with device payment plans many people are upgrading AT LEAST once a year. That might make it easier for Samsung to justify using a larger sealed battery rather than a smaller removable one.

There are a few other engineering and design benefits, such as how they are mitigating heat, less movable parts (and thus less likely to break), etc. It'd be extremely difficult for them to move to the glass backs that they've become fond of while making those removable. From a design standpoint, while I'm sure it is possible, it would be immensely difficult to make the S7 or S7 Edge with a removable battery in any form that resembles what they came up with. LG had an interesting idea by having the lower portion of the device removable, rather than the back and I'm sure Samsung could figure out a way to be just as creative - but that would come along with some obvious compromises.
    Samsung just told us all that their yearly upgrade plans are live. What does that say about longevity? Do they necessarily want their devices to be future proof or are they grabbing all the, upgrade once or twice a year folks, and calling it a day? Why make a very good battery, or screen that'll stand the test of time if most of your customers return every year for the next hot product?

And to touch on your second point...

Having a glass back is definitely aesthetically pleasing, just as much a nuisance. Most people throw their phone in a case. It's cheap insurance for a very expensive device and although a case can't prevent all possibilities, like the salt shaker falling on my wife's screen of her S6 edge, it'll protect against most falls.

03-04-2016 12:51 PM
    Having a glass back is definitely aesthetically pleasing, just as much a nuisance. Most people throw their phone in a case. It's cheap insurance for a very expensive device and although a case can't prevent all possibilities, like the salt shaker falling on my wife's screen of her S6 edge, it'll protect against most falls.
    The case thing is still totally valid. I know OEM's are designing phones that they think people should rock without cases - but most phones I see aren't just in cases, they're in bulky cases that nearly completely disguise the device to where it is nearly unrecognizable. Do people actually like glass backs? I've never had a phone that was glass, all of mine have been plastic, leather or metal. The leather and metal ones are great and really don't need cases - plastic I'm not a big fan of, but if it is in a case - then who cares?
    03-04-2016 12:58 PM
    The leather and metal ones are great and really don't need cases - plastic I'm not a big fan of, but if it is in a case - then who cares?
    Yup . . pretty much this. I like the design of the iPhone 6 line. I have a Nexus 4 and loved it but was always afraid of the back glass cracking so I kept it in a case the first several months and then switched to a bumper. Eventually (end of year 2) the battery swelled up and poped the back glass out (didnt crack, luckily). I replaced the battery but the glass hasn't been the same. I DO NOT want to have to go through that with an S7 or Note 5 that costs several hundred bucks!
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-04-2016 04:46 PM
    I'll be replacing my Note4 with a S7 edge on Monday. I am buying it through the Samsung upgrade programme so I'll be getting an S8 in about a year so hopefully the battery will last out a year.

I'm glad I missed out the S6 - that was due to them not having a SD card.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1
    Aquila likes this.
    03-04-2016 05:01 PM
    The Samsung update program sounds like a pretty good thing.
    03-04-2016 05:48 PM