samsung mail app causes emails to be marked as read in other clients

A

AC Question

When my note4 email app receives new mail those same mails change to read in outlook and webmail.

This happens when they arrive in the samsung inbox even when they haven't been opened or read and they don't show as read.

In outlook, a new email arrives and shows as unread but after a few minutes when the samsung has fetched new mail they change to 'read'.

I'm using imap (can't use pop3 because talktalk are rubbish).

How can I stop this?

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Do you actually use Samsung's stock email app? If not, just go into your settings and disable the app. Also might want to unsync email under your Samsung account settings too.

melmc1403

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't help you on this problem but I highly recommend using CloudMagic.....absolutely fantastic email client, fast, reliable and easy to use :) I haven't used the stock email app since the first few weeks owning a phone all those years ago x

Posted from My Note 4

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem. Changed my smartphone email account from pop3 to imap and it cured the problem.

I put off the change to imap because it wasn't the way i wanted to use email but talktalk were so incompetent with pop3 i had to change in the end . This problem was caused by leaving my phone on pop3.

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi

I am using Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Android 6.0.1.

I can observe exactly the above mentioned. Both with a gmx and a gmail account. When I use the built in E-Mail Account and adding the two accounts.

When the messages are downloaded on the samsung phone they will be marked as read on any other mail clients I used (Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail) using IMAP. That is really downloaded only on the device and not opened. This is enough that they are marked as read. The device is using IMAP for sure (otherwise I wouldn't see the downloaded messages on the other devices).

But when this is correct, this is a clear wrong implementation of using IMAP. Of course the messages should not be marked read on other devices when downloaded only.

When I installed another mail client other client on the samsung phone (K-9 Mail) and removed the accounts on the standard E-Mail client the problem went instantly away. Again showing that the problem is caused by the default E-Mail client. There really seems something wrong here! I did not found a way to configure this behavior with the default E-Mail client. I was disturbed by this for months now!

I have updated to the latest software version today (Baseband version G935FXXU1BPK6). The previous update was surely not older than six months. Afterwards the mentioned problem with the gmail account went away (messages no longer marked read on other clients when downloaded on the samsung phone), but this same problem with the gmx account remained. Puh, not really much more to say about this except this costs hours over hours.

best regards

Last edited: