08-11-2016 08:59 PM
58 123
tools
    Glad to see there's much love for the Note 4. My S5 is finally crapping out after nearly 2 years of ownership (gyro fail and my heart rate monitor isn't reading), and figured now would be a good time to upgrade ... but not to the S7. I snagged a Note 4 910C variant, I didn't want the carrier bloatware and am really excited to do some real multitasking (that Wacom-powered S Pen should be a real treat for creating some art). Can't wait to receive it and join the Note club.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Congratulations you've made a very smart choice, best phone Samsung has ever built by far. and given the direction they've went since last year I'm not so sure they'll ever top that awesome phone.

Feel free to ask for tips, apps
    AXEL314 and huntnyc like this.
    03-25-2016 10:46 PM
    Must say what still gets me with the Note 4 is how brilliant the Camera is despite being almost 2years old now.

I recorded my mates pre-engagement speech in HD1080P@60FPS and then we watched it on his 55inch LG smart tv, and I was simply blown away at how crystal clear and stable the video was.

Another thing is the Display, even next to a friend's iPhone 6S Plus, the almost 2yearold Note 4 simply blows the iPhone out the water.

The Note 4 truly was the pinnacle of how a huge amount of great smartphone hardware can be packed into a well built package. I hope the Note6 brings back the IR Blaster, but I doubt we will see the return of Removable battery and textured rear cover.
    muzzy996, nahoku, huntnyc and 1 others like this.
    03-27-2016 06:56 PM
    Used to love my Note 4 but for the last few months, the phone has become somewhat of a burden. It's sluggish and slow to respond. There seems to be endless connectivity issues with wifi and 3/4G connections. TouchWiz is laggy as hell too.

The only thing left for me to try is a hard reset which I'm planning on doing in the next few days. I'm currently downloading an update which may, or may not resolve a number of issues.

I've got about 8 months left on my contract and if there was a definite alternative out there for me at the moment, I'd seriously consider an early upgrade. I really miss Windows Phone and love the look of the 950XL but the lack of apps is the major factor that pushed me to Android in the first place. I haven't warmed to the iPhone at all so that is out of the question....

So, that leaves another Android device as the most likely to succeed the Note 4. The S7/Edge seems nice enough but not quite good enough to keep me interested for the next 2 years.

It looks like I'm going to have to wait until November before moving on or choosing my next Android device....

Unless the system update or reset works wonders!
    03-27-2016 07:19 PM
    Despite all my gripes with the Note 4, the camera is still good. Although, it has to be said, only for static images in good lighting. It struggles in low light and when the object is moving.

It would be great if manual controls (focus, iso, shutter speed etc) were enabled for users.
    03-27-2016 07:23 PM
    There's a lot to be said about the Note 4. I love all the features it has, the display, the size, the camera, even Touchwiz. I bought Nova almost a year ago, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why people like it so much! Nova on my tablet is even worse! Won't get into it here.

The only negative I've found on the Note 4 is the Bluetooth radio being weak. I'm guessing it's all the interference from other radios in such a small package... or, just a piece of junk BT radio. However, I only experience BT problems with headphones, and not while it's connected to my car. Other than that, I've not experienced any of the problems people constantly report on the forums... anywhere. It makes me think my phone is simply awesome and special! LOL!

I love my Note 4. It's going to take a "TON of phone" to make me even think about replacing it.

Oh, and yes... Kitkat is still the bomb!
    huntnyc and spagman like this.
    03-27-2016 08:09 PM
    I'm still on 5.1.1. Haven't noticed anything different as yet.
    03-27-2016 08:12 PM
    I just got mines this year and it's brand new too (made in Jan.) This was the like the last smartphone that has removable battery AND good battery life. I would have bought the S7 edge or the note 6 at launch or a year later, but it doesn't have removable battery. I paid full price for this phone so I intend to use it until it dies. And battery wouldn't be a issue since I can just buy a new one later on. I just need to make sure that I buy 1 before third party OEM stops making them.
    03-28-2016 10:14 AM
    I have to share how these two new batteries have made my Note 4 like new again. I'm back to getting the same kind of on-screen time I used to get when the original two, now almost 1.5 years old, were new. Even so, no worries of getting low on a charge while out and about today and probably on in to the night as the other new fully charged spare is in my pocket to get back to an immediate full charge again. I'll be good to go into tomorrow morning (this is what function over form is all about)! Let's see those sealed/embedded battery phones do that!
    Did you buy your batteries from Samsung's website, or from somewhere else?
    bgbagz likes this.
    03-28-2016 10:23 AM
    Used to love my Note 4 but for the last few months, the phone has become somewhat of a burden. It's sluggish and slow to respond. There seems to be endless connectivity issues with wifi and 3/4G connections. TouchWiz is laggy as hell too.

The only thing left for me to try is a hard reset which I'm planning on doing in the next few days. I'm currently downloading an update which may, or may not resolve a number of issues.

I've got about 8 months left on my contract and if there was a definite alternative out there for me at the moment, I'd seriously consider an early upgrade. I really miss Windows Phone and love the look of the 950XL but the lack of apps is the major factor that pushed me to Android in the first place. I haven't warmed to the iPhone at all so that is out of the question....

So, that leaves another Android device as the most likely to succeed the Note 4. The S7/Edge seems nice enough but not quite good enough to keep me interested for the next 2 years.

It looks like I'm going to have to wait until November before moving on or choosing my next Android device....

Unless the system update or reset works wonders!
    Have you cleared your cache? If not, I'll explain how. Do you have any apps that you no longer need? Are there settings that are on that you don't need that can be disabled? If you don't like Touchwiz, download another Launcher from the play store. I prefer Action Launcher 3 and Aviate but there are tons more to choose from with several different features. Nova Launcher seems very popular.

no advertisements here.
    03-28-2016 11:21 AM
    I bought two from AC's store Shop Android, but not sure they're genuine as they don't have the water damage sticker on the top edge and they didn't come in any kind of retail packaging (just a plastic bag) both of which have also been reported in reviews on Amazon for what were supposed to be OEM batteries that either didn't charge fully in the phone or died after a month of use. So far I haven't had any problems with them after about 3 weeks. But even so, I decided to order two directly from Samsung as insurance (suspect Note 6 will most likely have a sealed/embedded battery so will be keeping this Note 4 indefinitely), but they're still on backorder two weeks later now.
    Ok thanks. I'm looking into getting at least a replacement battery for the one that came with my phone, because my phone goes into a boot loop when I have less than 20% battery left.
    03-28-2016 12:04 PM
    @Alex Wetzel - For what it's worth the Anker batteries are pretty decent and they stand by their products. I had one of their Note 4 batteries swell on me 4 months or so after purchase so I contacted them about it and they sent me an entire kit (2 batteries and the charger) for free. That new set is doing well.
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-28-2016 12:27 PM
    @Alex Wetzel - For what it's worth the Anker batteries are pretty decent and they stand by their products. I had one of their Note 4 batteries swell on me 4 months or so after purchase so I contacted them about it and they sent me an entire kit (2 batteries and the charger) for free. That new set is doing well.
    This is interesting. I may just have to buy up from given the Note 6 may not be a good enough upgrade from the Note 4.

no advertisements here.
    03-29-2016 05:31 AM
    Don't buy this ****ty note 5. No external batt, no memory, Bluetooth keeps dropping.. Wait for 6 coming this October. I still bring my dependable note 3 everytime.
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-29-2016 01:06 PM
    Just now bought another Note 4 spare battery from AC... $26.95. Also bought 2 of the Samsung headsets... which are a bit overpriced, but had to make the free shipping requirement. Don't use headsets too often, but needed one anyways since my old one broke, and the other one for my brother, who by the way, also owns a Note 4!
    03-29-2016 03:26 PM
    Don't buy this ****ty note 5. No external batt, no memory, Bluetooth keeps dropping.. Wait for 6 coming this October. I still bring my dependable note 3 everytime.
    You should sell that Note 5 before the Note 6 comes out. You should still get a good price right now.
    Cloud182 likes this.
    03-29-2016 03:31 PM
    Just got my Note 4 today - amazing. Will be retiring the S5, was a great phone. This S Pen is fantastic

Attached Thumbnails Still not ready to depart from my note 4.-2016-03-30-17.38.06.jpg  
    huntnyc and jordyd like this.
    03-31-2016 01:19 AM
    System reset, Action launcher, Samsung browser, uninstall/disable apps that are not used, spare batteries. This is a great phone!!.
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-31-2016 12:25 PM
    Have you cleared your cache? If not, I'll explain how. Do you have any apps that you no longer need? Are there settings that are on that you don't need that can be disabled? If you don't like Touchwiz, download another Launcher from the play store. I prefer Action Launcher 3 and Aviate but there are tons more to choose from with several different features. Nova Launcher seems very popular.

no advertisements here.
    Thanks for the reply Coraya.

I've cleared the cache after installing system updates. It makes a little bit of difference but the issues with lag and general poor performance come back in time.

I've recently gone through my app list and uninstalled all apps/games that I don't use that much. It has freed up a little space but not really made any difference in performance.

I'm sure there are changes I can make in settings that may make a difference such as disabling Bluetooth, NFC and wifi when not in use but I find this a bit inconvenient to keep disabling/reenabling settings in order to improve performance.

I've had Nova installed for a long time but only really started to have a look at it recently. It's certainly faster than TouchWiz and has some nice features but it doesn't fix the other issues I'm having with the phone.

It's looking like a factory reset which I've been reluctant to do as I don't want to lose app/game settings in the process. I fine with backing up photos, contacts, messages etc but I'm not too keen on losing settings and progress for third party apps that don't use the cloud to backup data.

It's the lessor of two evils though. I'd much rather have a phone operating at it's peak performance.
    03-31-2016 09:31 PM
    Despite what I hear about how great Android is at managing ram/memory, my gut feeling is that it aint' all it's cracked up to be. I've been dealing with computers since machine language and the way computer drives work is that they become fragmented. Ram/memory also becomes fragmented and if Android works anything like computers, there are small segments of information/data plotted all over the place. Eventually when something is launched, all these fragments need to be found in order to run the app, or display something on the screen... thus lag.

The more apps get installed/uninstalled, texts, photos, videos, music gets moved, added, or deleted, the more fragmentation occurs. Android won't take the time to start shuffling data to make sure things open as quickly as they can. Rather, it just searches until it can find all the parts required and then displays it. So, the longer you own your phone, the more stuff you do, the more it's going to lag. Can't be helped.

In all honesty, I haven't read up on any information about how Android deals with memory, and really, I don't care much... that's why I haven't investigated it. To me, I just accept that as a phone or tablet gets "used", things will naturally slow down. It doesn't bother me as long as nothing takes more than 1/2 second at the most. My Note 4 is just like everyone else's... at times when I change screens, there is a small lag like its waiting to get drawn. Again, to me this is natural as the GPU needs to dump/gather data and draw this stuff.

It's like Windows... at first install, the thing is blazing. After a year... not so much. When the Note 5 first came out, you heard nothing but praises about how fast it was. Now, there are lag threads in that forum too... something I fully expected! I'm not picking on the Note 5, so don't get me wrong... all phones lag over time.
    anon(9144744) likes this.
    03-31-2016 11:43 PM
    As you're all making note of as these devices get loaded down with software performance hits are going to happen. Initially factory resets are going to revitalize a device but as a user goes back to using it the way the did before much of the same software invariably gets loaded back on and the lag returns. '

Like Nahoku I admit not knowing the intricate details of how things work. I have however spent a lot of time working with rooted devices and maximizing performance by leveraging hibernation, freezing of unwanted services and controlling startup of apps/services. I can speak from experience that ridding RAM and cache from active applications and services that a user will rarely use is the best way to minimize lag and keep it away for good. Unfortunately this takes far more time than an average user would ever want to spend and of course root . . and the challenges and "risks" assocaited with root.

If you want to see what I'm referring to try installing System Panel Lite Task Manager and looking at the list of cached applications on your device. Chances are there will be applications cached that you may not use frequently yet they sit there in memory waiting for you to open them. Everyone has different applications on their devices and thus each device performs a little differently since RAM and CPU usage is going to vary accordingly. With root if this list is weeded out by hibernating less used applications so that more frequently used ones float to the surface the observed performance of the device will improve because all of your frequently used applications will be preloaded. Left on its own though, Android isn't going to optimize what's cached or loaded and what's not in a way that will please everyone.
    04-01-2016 02:06 AM
    Just got my Note 4 today - amazing. Will be retiring the S5, was a great phone. This S Pen is fantastic

Hey great!

Looks good with that Samsung case. I got the black version, but dont really use it because it makes the phone just that little bit bigger.

But those cases make the phone look great at the back.
    AXEL314 likes this.
    04-02-2016 10:50 AM
    Now this is what a genuine OEM battery looks like! No question of its authenticity; has the water damage sticker on the top and came in retail packaging along with a protective plastic case.

Attachment 223096
    The Note 4 battery I just got from AC Store yesterday was sent to me in a plain plastic bag... no wrapping, no box, no semi-clear storage container. I really don't mind so much about the box, but the storage container should have been included. How the heck am I supposed to store and carry a spare battery without a case? Luckily, I have a case from my other battery, but storing a battery in my charger is NOT ideal! AC supposedly sells OEM, but maybe not! Very disappointed in my first purchase from them! I feel like contacting them to ask them to send me a case... in fact, I will, and post back what they say!
    04-02-2016 04:42 PM
    Hey great!

Looks good with that Samsung case. I got the black version, but dont really use it because it makes the phone just that little bit bigger.

But those cases make the phone look great at the back.
    What's cool is my Note seems to be fresh off the press: Phone Info reports a manufacturing date of 02/19/2016

04-02-2016 04:51 PM
    Nova works for me because it is extremely customizable, plays well with different themes and icons, and phone lag is improved vastly over Touchwiz.
    04-02-2016 06:07 PM
    The Note 4 battery I just got from AC Store yesterday was sent to me in a plain plastic bag... no wrapping, no box, no semi-clear storage container. I really don't mind so much about the box, but the storage container should have been included. How the heck am I supposed to store and carry a spare battery without a case? Luckily, I have a case from my other battery, but storing a battery in my charger is NOT ideal! AC supposedly sells OEM, but maybe not! Very disappointed in my first purchase from them! I feel like contacting them to ask them to send me a case... in fact, I will, and post back what they say!
    I won't speak for AC but I wouldn't be surprised if they sell liquidated products. I'm sure your battery is new. Maybe just a returned item at a retail store with damaged packaging. But again, I'm not speaking for Android Central store, I'm just trying to make sense of the situation.

no advertisements here.
    04-02-2016 07:22 PM
58 123