08-11-2016 09:59 PM
58 123
tools
    Made the pilgrimage into verizon tonight and checked out the s7 edge. Needless to say it is a cool phone but not enough to change over. They are even offering a 2 for 1 deal on phones to sweeten the deal. I just popped in a new battery last week and did a full wipe. I did the battery due to the phone has basically been on since purchased and it was time in my mind to do it. And the wipe should be done from time to time to clean it's storage and system. It's snappy again. There is no real damage on the phone and I don't like the s7 edges glass back. I don't think it will stay pretty for long. I'm going to hold out for the note 6.

Posted via the Android Central App
    huntnyc, sven1olaf, nahoku and 3 others like this.
    03-19-2016 08:20 PM
    Note 4 way to good to give up for anything out there. Like you, I did a system reset and everything like new. IMHO, best phone available.
    03-19-2016 08:36 PM
    I'm pretty sure the note 6 will rock that same fragile glass, I hope not but I'd bet it will. They pulled a weak trick by removing almost all the hardware advantages last year so this year will look great in comparison.
    Note 4 - removable battery, ir, sd, tough exterior
    Note 5 - ...?
    Note 6 - sd
    indysteve9, nahoku and bobodobo like this.
    03-20-2016 09:58 AM
    I also did a system reset a while back (by accident lol) and my phone runs as good as when I first got it. Also still using the same battery that came with the phone, and I can still get 4 1/2 to 5 hours of SOT
    03-20-2016 11:08 AM
    Same boat here for me it is the best phone Samsung has ever built. It may not look as cool as the S7edge but that glass back panel is a fingerprint magnet and it's say too fragile. The s7s are crazy fast true but I'm still very happy with the performance of my Note 4.

It's funny how everyone is praising the premium look which the phone of course has but let's see how long that glass is in such a pristine appearance ? if I'm scratching the note 4 I will just replace the back and done. I really don't understand why Samsung hasn't done an aluminium back? only explanation to me would be it's harder to curve , which would explain the glass panel for the edge but not for the standard one.
    huntnyc and nahoku like this.
    03-20-2016 11:16 AM
    This is why I would love the Note 6 to be based of the Note 4, bigger battery, higher resolution, the S7's camera and a better fingerprint sensor, touch vs swipe. They bring this out, I'll buy 2 so I can have a back up....

huntnyc likes this.
    03-20-2016 11:53 AM
    True that man if Samsung puts a 4k screen on that baby and bases the design on the note 4 they'll have a winner.
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-20-2016 11:58 AM
    True that man if Samsung puts a 4k screen on that baby and bases the design on the note 4 they'll have a winner.
    Uhhh... 4k display in a package as small as a phablet is unnecessary. You're talking pixel density in excess of 700 ppi, would one really be able to tell with the naked eye? I'm all for sharpness too but I think screen resolution has reached a good point and focus needs to continue on GPU improvements to increase performance and power efficiency. Raising the bar on screen resolution at this point only serves to place further burden on GPUs adding additional power requirements to drive graphics intensive applications.
    sven1olaf and srvctec like this.
    03-20-2016 01:10 PM
    Made the pilgrimage into verizon tonight and checked out the s7 edge. Needless to say it is a cool phone but not enough to change over. They are even offering a 2 for 1 deal on phones to sweeten the deal. I just popped in a new battery last week and did a full wipe. I did the battery due to the phone has basically been on since purchased and it was time in my mind to do it. And the wipe should be done from time to time to clean it's storage and system. It's snappy again. There is no real damage on the phone and I don't like the s7 edges glass back. I don't think it will stay pretty for long. I'm going to hold out for the note 6.

Amen brother!

I got my Note 4 on launch day, served me very well, I just got it a new battery and a 128GB MicroSDXC 2months ago. Nothing currently available is worth leaving it.

I am also waiting for the Note6, apparently it will have 6GB RAM, 5.8inch display and possibly a 256GB variant with Samsung having recently announced the 256GB mobile mem.
    huntnyc, sven1olaf and nahoku like this.
    03-20-2016 03:49 PM
    My "rule of thumb" is to upgrade every other year minimum. I started my smartphone journey with the iPhone 4, then iPhone 5, then I moved ship to the Galaxy Note 4. I want to see what the Note 6 has to offer.

In all honesty I may hold off until the Note 7 seeing how the Note 4 is everything I could want in a phone. I'm waiting to see how it performs on Marshmallow with the supposed battery and UI fluidity. Hopefully when we get the upgrade we get the new Touchwiz so it "feels like new."

If Marshmallow is a dog, then I'll upgrade this year, but I doubt the Note 4 would bog down on Marshmallow. If we get N I could hold off even longer, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

03-20-2016 07:32 PM
    I finally gave up my workhorse Note II for a brand new Note 4 after the board on my Note II bit the dust. Got a good deal on Amazon for a new "open box" Note 4. Absolutely love my new phone and it's much faster than the Note II. Hopefully it will last and Samsung will not abandon it like the Note II. It's a great size and I don't want anything bigger.

03-21-2016 02:36 AM
    Congratulations you won't regret it, it's a great phone and built like a tank. I would recommend buying some dbrand skins for the front in order to "cover" the riduclous huge Samsung logo on top. And if you like buttons dimple.io

The good thing with the nature of Android is the customizability you don't have to pray and hope for Samsung to release anything, just flash a custom ROM. SimpleRom (look at xda-developers) is a great choice extremely fast, lightweight and does everything you need.

Enjoy your new phone and congratulations :-)
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-21-2016 10:36 AM
    This affects warranty though doesn't it? I'm on the fence about this because I want to run my Note 4 flawlessly. It lags quite a bit when I'm doing intense amounts of work. I just wouldn't want to void warranty God forbid something happened to the phone and I needed to go through insurance.

like MMA? Follow @mbsodds on Instagram and Twitter for mma picks.
    Warranty voiding is a hit or miss thing. I've had lots of work done on rooted phones through multiple carriers and manufacturers, but based off what I've read on here that's not a universal experience.

Android phones never run flawlessly in my experience, they run well and do lots of tricks
    03-21-2016 08:58 PM
    This affects warranty though doesn't it? I'm on the fence about this because I want to run my Note 4 flawlessly. It lags quite a bit when I'm doing intense amounts of work. I just wouldn't want to void warranty God forbid something happened to the phone and I needed to go through insurance.

like MMA? Follow @mbsodds on Instagram and Twitter for mma picks.
    Yes it does but in Austria we have a difference between Guarantee and Warranty. Basically warranty in the first 6 months means the manufacturer is responsible for fixing the device.

For me rooting is important because some apps require it and it gives me full control over my phone
    muzzy996 and huntnyc like this.
    03-21-2016 10:34 PM
    Yes it does but in Austria we have a difference between Guarantee and Warranty. Basically warranty in the first 6 months means the manufacturer is responsible for fixing the device.

For me rooting is important because some apps require it and it gives me full control over my phone
    With the direction that Samsung has taken with the S7 it looks like the Note 4 is my first and last Note device. I hope it lasts me a couple more years because there's no way I'll buy a bootloader locked Samsung device. I'll switch back to Nexus first.

I just can't live without my gesture controls and backup capabilities.
    nahoku and huntnyc like this.
    03-21-2016 11:27 PM
    Note 6 will be the time to upgrade. Once you go Note, you can't turn back!

Posted via Galaxy Note 4
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    03-21-2016 11:43 PM
    After seeing the S7 design, am certain the note 6 will feature the same glass design so I won't hold my breath for something different. Maybe the note 7 might use a different material Bcos sooner than later the current design will become stale. If only Samsung can find a way of adding the removable battery to future note, I may look for other alternative. Imagine being stuck to a phone with bad battery are one year of usage and you can't just change the battery without sending it for repairs.
    huntnyc and D Android like this.
    03-22-2016 01:08 AM
    I was just singing my praise of my note 4 today. Love this phone!

I had the note 2, still have my note 4, and will be grabbing a note 6 when it's finally available.

Summer can't come soon enough!
    huntnyc and Aubbre4 like this.
    03-22-2016 03:06 AM
    With the direction that Samsung has taken with the S7 it looks like the Note 4 is my first and last Note device. I hope it lasts me a couple more years because there's no way I'll buy a bootloader locked Samsung device. I'll switch back to Nexus first.

I just can't live without my gesture controls and backup capabilities.
    I'm in the same boat there is no way I will ever buy one with a locked boot loader and a non removable battery. If the battery goes bad (which will happen over time...I'm not paying 100 bucks or more and wait 2 weeks), it's just not going to happen when I could have the same thing accomplished in 3 hours and 30 bucks.

I think I will switch to LG or wait for project ara if the Note 6 disappoints
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-22-2016 07:25 AM
    I too swore never to let my Note 4 go. I purchased the first one, one week following launch. Since, I have had it replaced 4 times due to hardware/software issues, mostly hardware. Last week I moved on to a Note 5 with much reluctance after I saw signs of a recurring issue showing up yet again. It's not so bad but it is not my 4. I did consider the S7 Edge but I use my SPen quite a bit. Since I am not in the habit of spending this type of money on a device every few months or years for that matter, looks like I am "stuck" with this for a while.
    03-22-2016 02:40 PM
    I love my Note 4. Especially considering it cost me nothing (traded in my Note 3 with a double trade-in value, and Note 4 was on special).

However, expanded memory. Any card I've put in it eventually starts causing my Note 4 to reboot, excessive battery drain, etc. Even after a wipe, fresh install.

Get rid of the card, phone is fine. Heck, gave my latest 128GB EVO to my daughter to use in her Moto E.

Other than that little glitch, I love my Note 4. It does everything I want, and quick. Looking forward to the Note 6.
    03-22-2016 06:04 PM
    I'm perfectly happy with my Note 4 and not the slightest bit interested in changing any time soon. As of now, no other phone on the market offers the features I use daily.
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-23-2016 09:34 PM
    The edge curved screen to me seems weird.. So for those who feel the same the Note 6 will essentially be the S7+ non edge.

I really hope they add removable battery back in.
    03-24-2016 10:39 PM
    The trouble with ANY new phone if u are on VZW is they no longer have 2 radios. I think the note 4 is the last phone by anybody with 2 radios. Why go back to undependable simultaneous voice and data that only works on volte or wifi? Any new vzw phone with VoLTE drops a call automatically if you drive through a 3G zone which I do all the time.

Heck, I'm still on note 3 and although I love the big battery on edge 7 and the great camera and the smaller screen I just hate to lose led notifications that are dependable, simultaneous voice and data in 3G as well as LTE, IR blaster, and removable battery. I have the samsung wireless charging back too so I don't lose that.

I do crave a new phone though. I almost bought the note 5 and actually went to BestBuy to get an edge 7 (out of stock) . I still might but will keep the note 3 and switch back and forth.
    03-24-2016 11:26 PM
    Glad to see there's much love for the Note 4. My S5 is finally crapping out after nearly 2 years of ownership (gyro fail and my heart rate monitor isn't reading), and figured now would be a good time to upgrade ... but not to the S7. I snagged a Note 4 910C variant, I didn't want the carrier bloatware and am really excited to do some real multitasking (that Wacom-powered S Pen should be a real treat for creating some art). Can't wait to receive it and join the Note club.

huntnyc and Carrtman like this.
    03-25-2016 10:00 AM
58 123