Who's upset that the Note 4 did not include the theme store?

Biga173rd

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I personally I'm a little upset that it was not included. I know it might not be a big deal to everyone but why was the theme store not included on this update including some of the updated apps on the Note 5? I know some people might say just install a custom rom but why do we have to go through that to get something as simple as a theme store? We all know the Note 4 can handle any software or intensive apps I don't get it? Not cool Sammy I think it might be a sales tactic to force their customers to upgrade to the newest devices. Me personally the Note 4 hands down is the best device I have ever own and it has not slow me down since day 1. What are your thoughts?

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, if all older devices got the same features as new ones, a lot less people would buy a new device. It's economics, plain and simple.

TacticTM

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm very upset as well. With this new update i was hoping for the theme store to come so i could replace the disgusting turquoise theme the phone has. They didn't even have the decency to give it the new white stock theme that the s6/s7 has now. Very disappointed.

On the other hand now, at least the phone runs much smoother than before. On lolipop there was bug where if you had the finger print scanner set to unlock your phone, it'd crash your phone at random. On top of that, the phone overall runs better. OS can make a difference, I ran a benchmark on Antutu out of curiosity and the results amazed me. Lolipop gave me a score of 62103 vs Marshmallow at 71283! That makes it very comparable to phones like the Z5 and S6 (JUST OPINION, REAL WORLD RESULTS MAY DIFFER)

While it's very disappointing that we have no themes, I"m glad my phone runs more like today's flagships and feels buttery smooth once again. :D

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm also disappointed. Mainly Bcos the theme store came out with the S6 which was just a few months after the note 4. So I don't see any reason why this was not included with lollipop not to mention marshmallow. That being said what really irk me with the marshmallow update is that aesthetically it looks like the lollipop on the note 4 and nothing like the newer devices. I believe this is my last Sammy phone. But I'll just try to squeeze out another 8-10 months from mine then I'll be going to a nexus (seeing that the only thing the note line have over a nexus could well be the sd storage).

Biga173rd

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow good stuff everyone. The reason I posted this is because iOS users even older devices gets all the updates, bells, and whistles from Apple. Depending on hardware will exclude touch ID and finger print scanner due to hardware. Now back to the Note 4 we all know it's beyond capable and ready to run any updates or software from the newer flagship devices it's just theme skins. So yea I'm disappointed now we have to rely on a custom rom.

Last edited:

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
The Note 4 seems to be the worst treated "flasghip" of any phone I've ever owned point blank and simple. Updates take forever, it's not getting many "new" software features that the phone can easily support. There's not even a Mophie Juicepack for it. 😑

Theme Store is a SOFTWARE feature.
A pretty basic one at that. As stated above the S6 which was just a few months later than the Note launched with it.

I get it, they want to make sales but now that the S7 is out, it's not an excuse. The Note 4 is only a few months behind the Note 5 S6 and is pretty much being treated like garbage.

I also own an iPhone 6, and besides the hardware level, the software level is pretty much exactly the same. It's just a little annoying the way the Note 4 was handled.

When iOS 10 rolls out I already know that most of the cool new software features that come out, the iPhone 6 is sure to get.

I am just a but disappointed because of my lack of user education on the way Android + Carrier handle updates.

Do I still enjoy my phone, yes.
I probably won't pick a Samsung again though. Since Day 1 we've been treated like second rate users. Too much of a sour taste with way too little, way too late support.

Posted via the Android Central App

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Can't edit...

Didn't mean to out "only a few months behind Note 5" since it was a full year wait.

Still doesn't change the fact we should have the Theme Store...

Biga173rd

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree 100% I feel you this phone is still leagues better then some of the flagships out in the market including the iPhone and they all get the proper software updates not just minor tweaks which I feel was part of this update. We waited all this time for this? They need to step it up a 1 year old flagship which still has not reach 2 years deserve all updates shoot even the 3 year old flagship like the Note 3 can handle MM with no issues. I can't believe this is how Sammy is going to treat their customers.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like they would have had to include a whole new version of touchwiz along with the Android update. Maybe the rush to push marshmallow they didn't include the full touchwiz.

I dunno what you got, I'm on Verizon stuck licking on my lollipop probably even after the next flagships with N drop.

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Haha "the rush."
At this point I'd rather stick with Lollipop and wait for a N with at least the full latest Touchwiz Nature UX.

Verizon users JUST got 5.1.1 a few months ago, which is, sad.

Great phone, HORRIBLE support.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This year is very different for the Note line. Samsung has valid business reasons NOT to give us software enhancements, while still fulfilling their basic promise to give us security and Android version upgrades. Samsung has painted themselves into a corner where their newer model is capable of fewer things, so they have to artificially cripple the older model so the new ones continue to sell.

Samsung took away too many hardware features between the Note 4 to the Note 5. In return, they gave Note 5 adopters a "premium" build and a few hardware refinements (camera, fingerprint reader, etc), but mostly many software enhancements.

They are already in a situation where many (certainly not all, but many) of their customers would rather keep their Note 4 and the features that are important to them for their own personal use cases (one or more of replaceable battery, IR blaster, SD card support, etc).

If they migrated too many of the software enhancements (many of which would work) to the Note 4, they'd further expand the number of people who would rather have a used Note 4 than a new Note 5, even ignoring the obvious price difference.

The reason Apple sends software "back" to the older hardware versions (within reason) is that they usually add or improve hardware features in each release of their phone models. In this specific case, Apple didn't have IR blaster, expandable memory, or SD card support to take away in the first place, so the iPhone (n+1) is going to be consistently more desirable than the iPhone (n). So they aren't subject to this sort of "value inversion" like happened with the S5 -> S6 and Note 4 -> Note 5.

This is a temporary situation for Samsung, caused specifically by their move to "iPhoneify" their devices last year. Now that they have gone through the process of crippling the Note removing several features that made the Note line special, the Note 5 will probably get as many software enhancements as it can support backported from the Note 6. Because the Note 6 can't possibly have fewer hardware features than the Note 5 does, so the Note 6 will by definition be more desirable than the Note 5.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
It does sort of stink that we don't have a theme store but isn't it easier to just install a Launcher and download different icon styles for it? Action Launcher and Aviate are two that I use. My wife has the S7 so she has the theme store. She uses it to an extent but it's not all its cracked up to be really

No advertisements here. Just a plain signature.

Biga173rd

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
@Natehoy great response that is a perfect explanation appreciate it. It sucks now we have to rely on a custom MM note 5 rom smh. Does anyone know any Good Note 5 roms with all of the updated stuff from MM?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Agree with Natehoy but will also add that development of software enhancements is always going to drop for devices that are a couple of generations behind. There's way too many devices and variants that have been developed for Samsung to sink their development money into to keep devices older than 18 months completely up to date. As such I have no expectation that there will be anything significantly added to the Note 4 moving forward beyond this latest MM update.

As for Note 5 MM based custom ROMs for the Note 4 I don't think there's been much by way of Touchwiz based just yet but there are CM based. If theme store is the goal though then waiting to see if someone ports that over from the Note 5 into a TW based ROM is the way to go. Personally I'm curious to see what happens in the TMobile Note 4 development section of XDA.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
This year is very different for the Note line. Samsung has valid business reasons NOT to give us software enhancements, while still fulfilling their basic promise to give us security and Android version upgrades. Samsung has painted themselves into a corner where their newer model is capable of fewer things, so they have to artificially cripple the older model so the new ones continue to sell.

Samsung took away too many hardware features between the Note 4 to the Note 5. In return, they gave Note 5 adopters a "premium" build and a few hardware refinements (camera, fingerprint reader, etc), but mostly many software enhancements.

They are already in a situation where many (certainly not all, but many) of their customers would rather keep their Note 4 and the features that are important to them for their own personal use cases (one or more of replaceable battery, IR blaster, SD card support, etc).

If they migrated too many of the software enhancements (many of which would work) to the Note 4, they'd further expand the number of people who would rather have a used Note 4 than a new Note 5, even ignoring the obvious price difference.

The reason Apple sends software "back" to the older hardware versions (within reason) is that they usually add or improve hardware features in each release of their phone models. In this specific case, Apple didn't have IR blaster, expandable memory, or SD card support to take away in the first place, so the iPhone (n+1) is going to be consistently more desirable than the iPhone (n). So they aren't subject to this sort of "value inversion" like happened with the S5 -> S6 and Note 4 -> Note 5.

This is a temporary situation for Samsung, caused specifically by their move to "iPhoneify" their devices last year. Now that they have gone through the process of crippling the Note removing several features that made the Note line special, the Note 5 will probably get as many software enhancements as it can support backported from the Note 6. Because the Note 6 can't possibly have fewer hardware features than the Note 5 does, so the Note 6 will by definition be more desirable than the Note 5.

i have the note 4 and will get the 6

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

The Note 6 is going to change things in the Note Spectrum. We're going to see more people with Note 4s and 6s. The Note 5 folks are going to be of the fewer. There's a lot it's going to take for me to move to the Note 6. It's pointless to buy virtually the same device as the 4 with internals that can do the same things only a half second faster. I've said in previous posts that all it'll need ks expandable memory bit I've come to think it's not enough. Water resistance will help but I would like something new. Forget a mild processor upgrade. Give us something crazy. Let me use my device ask a desktop computer without having to root or use some type of Linux distro.

no advertisements here.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like they would have had to include a whole new version of touchwiz along with the Android update. Maybe the rush to push marshmallow they didn't include the full touchwiz.

I dunno what you got, I'm on Verizon stuck licking on my lollipop probably even after the next flagships with N drop.

I assume you're being sarcastic when you say they were "rushing" to put Marshmellow out?

And for everyone saying that they don't include the theme store because they want you to upgrade, I call bull shiz all over that. Other things about the phone will almost inevitably force people to upgrade anyway around the two year mark because no one makes their phones to last longer than about 18-30 months. USB ports are cheap crap that get messed up, screens crack/scratch, speakers get blown, earpieces go bad and crackle, buttons stop working, etc..

A dumb theme store on the Note 4 is not going to impact Samsung's bottom line in any way at all.

Biga173rd

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I assume you're being sarcastic when you say they were "rushing" to put Marshmellow out?

And for everyone saying that they don't include the theme store because they want you to upgrade, I call bull shiz all over that. Other things about the phone will almost inevitably force people to upgrade anyway around the two year mark because no one makes their phones to last longer than about 18-30 months. USB ports are cheap crap that get messed up, screens crack/scratch, speakers get blown, earpieces go bad and crackle, buttons stop working, etc..

A dumb theme store on the Note 4 is not going to impact Samsung's bottom line in any way at all.

I respect everyone's opinion including yours. With that said the Theme store might be dumb to you but not to others there are alot of angry customers that are upset with this release. I been using Samsung devices since ICS and every update has included everything all the bells and whistles. So when Sammy finally release MM on this build I felt like they should have included everything. But at the end of the day we know why they did it buisness is buisness. To each it's own

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech